Bad debt letters for previous occupiers

Found 24th Sep 2012
We bought our house a few months ago and the previous owner rented the house out. Since being here we are getting daily letters for their bad debts - including a visit from a bailiff for non payment of council tax (who incidentally was lovely when I explained I wasn't said person!)
My question is will this be affecting our credit status or is it a thing of the past where an address can be blacklisted? Also can I get into trouble for opening their mail? I seem to spend every day writing 'return to sender' on letters!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
35 Comments

Addresses are no longer blacklisted, debt is attributed to the individual. Yes, technically you can be done for opening post not addressed to you. i would contibue writing 'not known at this address' and putting it back into the post.

Think you should have a word with the postman regarding your mail. The credit rating side of things is apportioned to the name of the occupants etc not your address.

yeah keep doing as above eventually they will stop..............eventually

Banned

You can be sent to prison for violating Royal Mail by opening letters and parcels not addressed to you.

Why did you not put it back in the post box with "Not known at this address - return to sender" on the envelop?

Original Poster

cdm22

Addresses are no longer blacklisted, debt is attributed to the … Addresses are no longer blacklisted, debt is attributed to the individual. Yes, technically you can be done for opening post not addressed to you. i would contibue writing 'not known at this address' and putting it back into the post.

Thanks - I've had another 3 this morning, they look like insurance documents and bank statements - it seems really strange that they haven't updated these? Maybe they are on the run - lol!!

Addresses can be blacklisted by the individual/group of companies.
Do not write "return to sender" on the envelope, write "gone away" or "no longer at this address".

moob

Think you should have a word with the postman regarding your mail.

The postman can not do anything about it.

Edited by: "thesaint" 24th Sep 2012

Original Poster

guv

You can be sent to prison for violating Royal Mail by opening letters and … You can be sent to prison for violating Royal Mail by opening letters and parcels not addressed to you.Why did you not put it back in the post box with "Not known at this address - return to sender" on the envelop?

Have been doing that - it's just sometimes curiosity gets the better of you!!

Original Poster

thesaint

The postman can not do anything about it.Addresses can be blacklisted by … The postman can not do anything about it.Addresses can be blacklisted by the individual/group of companies.Do not write "return to sender" on the envelope, write "gone away" or "no longer at this address".

Think I may get a stamp made up to save time!

thesaint

Addresses can be blacklisted by the individual/group of companies.Do not … Addresses can be blacklisted by the individual/group of companies.Do not write "return to sender" on the envelope, write "gone away" or "no longer at this address".

...and then add "no such number... no such zone"

Seriously, a previous discussion on credit references & how individual addresses are no longer taken into account:

"What causes bad credit rating?"

Previously I have called the individual organisations & ask them to stop sending their correspondence to parties no longer in residence at the property. Most comply.

nicoleisapayne

Think I may get a stamp made up to save time!

Or print of some A4 sheets of labels, had plenty when we moved.

Could always be the other way around and a worse headache for you. We left our previous property and despite changing all account info over to the new address our outstanding credit status was taken advantage of by the new owners, I gained credit accounts for clothing and electrical stores that I had never set foot in.
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 24th Sep 2012

Original Poster

simplyjimbo

Or print of some A4 sheets of labels, had plenty when we moved. Could … Or print of some A4 sheets of labels, had plenty when we moved. Could always be the other way around and a worse headache for you. We left our previous property and despite changing all account info over to the new address our outstanding credit status was taken advantage of by the new owners, I gained credit accounts for clothing and electrical stores that I had never set foot in.

Wow never really thought about that! Luckily we have only moved 50 metres down the road so I know who lives at our old address!

Banned

We had something similar a while back. A credit agency were chasing someone with our surname. They had phoned my dad who unwittingly gave them my phone number. They duped me by telling me there was a parcel being delivered to another road - which my wife's grandparents lived and they kept mentioning someone called Tracy. (which I assumed was all to do with something they were buying for gift for her nans 80th and had mingled up the address.

Anyway, they suggested I deliver to our home address and not smelling the rat, gave them it.

That's when the debt collecting mail started and constant phone calls to our address and my dads until I wrote back and told them if they continued I would sue for harassment as they had already been made aware they were not chasing the correct people. It did stop, though my dad did get one further call which was obviously the same ruse.

Oh... And the debt was for a £25K bank loan which they'd been chasing for about 4 years. (yes the mail got the better of me also!)

I have this same problem. We've lived at this house for a year and still get previous occupiers mail for bad debts. We had some at our previous address too.. Never had a bailiff come round like you have though. It just makes me mad that we live on the straight and narrow and they rack up thousands in debt and are never found and never pay back a penny.

Bad Debt = Debts written off, not to be repaid.
In this case, they existing debts, so its simply 'debts'.
Just advising, no trolling.

sboh247

Bad Debt = Debts written off, not to be repaid.In this case, they are … Bad Debt = Debts written off, not to be repaid.In this case, they are existing debts, so its simply 'debts'.Just advising, no trolling.

Is that what you meant?

yes

not all "return to sender - not known at this address" gets sent back to the sender

and if it does - not much happens to it

if you can see real issues (like court action/summons) and you can identify the company - try calling them personally to explain - you will see a better/quicker resolve to those

some will be just junk mail - it's down to what you think is worthwhile attacking to reduce the issue

postmen have no responsibility in the name on the addresses communication - they only have to deliver it to the correct address (unless a specific person has paid for a re-direct service in which case the postman must ensure he re-directs that particular named person/title)

A good way to find whos sending the letter is to google the post code on the back of the letter.
You will get list of info from mse etc about who and what they are.
Then call them and say please send the bailiff at your cost to see my passport and driving licence etc.
I had 5 bailiffs call chasing the last tenant all were very confused that i was not the person they were chasing.Must of cost them a lot of money.
All the calling returning of letters etc does not always work.
So i changed tack and said come get some of your money.
After 5 time they stopped coming and i get no more letter calls of rings of the door bell.
When one of two of them find its not you and they are wasting lots of their money calling round to your house they give up and inform each other that the person of interest has moved they leave you alone.
What most people dont know is debt collection copanys have 10/20 or 30 diff names.

bigwheels

A good way to find whos sending the letter is to google the post code on … A good way to find whos sending the letter is to google the post code on the back of the letter.You will get list of info from mse etc about who and what they are.Then call them and say please send the bailiff at your cost to see my passport and driving licence etc.I had 5 bailiffs call chasing the last tenant all were very confused that i was not the person they were chasing.Must of cost them a lot of money.All the calling returning of letters etc does not always work.So i changed tack and said come get some of your money.After 5 time they stopped coming and i get no more letter calls of rings of the door bell.When one of two of them find its not you and they are wasting lots of their money calling round to your house they give up and inform each other that the person of interest has moved they leave you alone. What most people dont know is debt collection copanys have 10/20 or 30 diff names.

If you wrote to them, I could understand why!

try return to sender, addressee moved away.

then if it keeps coming open the letter and include a note to the sender to say that the person has moved away and you have no contact details for the addressee. Give your name so they know you are legit.

Original Poster

I'm just so fed up with them and yes I opened one of them today. It was confirmation of an auto renewal of car insurance - So they haven't even updated their insurance after moving 4 months ago!! No doubt some that I have returned are probably unpaid parking tickets!!

I know they weren't happy about being evicted because the house was being sold - but at least they didn't trash the house!

we've been getting these letters and worse since we bought our house,
in the beginning i used to write on the envelope not known at this address/persons moved ( add address if you know it)
then i thought i'd open one, oh my **** god! the cheeky so & so was only using my house to get credit to buy mobile phone, insurance, cars, and more
so after a few hours on the phone to all the companies giving them the new address where they had moved to and contacting the police for fraud ( not very helpful unless its in my name) its all but stopped.

we did have a debt collector turn up and had to prove to him who we were, when we moved in, all the problems the last owner had now caused, after showing him all this and me threatening to knock his block off if he didnt move his foot, he left. ( im a woman)

ive seen the last owner a few times in the street and its taken all i have in me now to give her a mouthful, but the police said not too

I am not reading it all so not sure if this has been said, but the old occupier will be 'linked' to the address on their credit report, whether or not any credit companies will check this out when you apply I don't know, but it is something you could check up with, try noddle, get a free report and ask them if it will cause a problem.

Original Poster

vinylandtrinkets

we've been getting these letters and worse since we bought our house,in … we've been getting these letters and worse since we bought our house,in the beginning i used to write on the envelope not known at this address/persons moved ( add address if you know it)then i thought i'd open one, oh my **** god! the cheeky so & so was only using my house to get credit to buy mobile phone, insurance, cars, and moreso after a few hours on the phone to all the companies giving them the new address where they had moved to and contacting the police for fraud ( not very helpful unless its in my name) its all but stopped. we did have a debt collector turn up and had to prove to him who we were, when we moved in, all the problems the last owner had now caused, after showing him all this and me threatening to knock his block off if he didnt move his foot, he left. ( im a woman)ive seen the last owner a few times in the street and its taken all i have in me now to give her a mouthful, but the police said not too

So are you saying that as they haven't changed details at their bank they could still be trying to get credit against this address!!

nicoleisapayne

So are you saying that as they haven't changed details at their bank they … So are you saying that as they haven't changed details at their bank they could still be trying to get credit against this address!!

It is possible, google noddle and do a credit report, it will tell you everything you need to know.

Original Poster

I'm already with noodle and just done another check - the only financial links are shown to be with my husband so fingers crossed all is in order. I just wish there was some kind of central database that we could update. I'm thinking of all the money we spend on solicitors including land registry details (and anti-money laundering checks done on us) why can't this be updated at the same time!
I know wishful thinking!

nicoleisapayne

I'm already with noodle and just done another check - the only financial … I'm already with noodle and just done another check - the only financial links are shown to be with my husband so fingers crossed all is in order. I just wish there was some kind of central database that we could update. I'm thinking of all the money we spend on solicitors including land registry details (and anti-money laundering checks done on us) why can't this be updated at the same time! I know wishful thinking!

If you have gone through all of the address searches and nothing is there, you should be fine. Sit back and enjoy your new house.

We had someone knock our door earlier, asking to view the piano we had for sale. They'd been given our address by someone on the internet apparently, never owned a piano. In fact I can't even play.

Not the same I know, just thought I'd share.

The previous tenant's debt shouldn't affect you. That's what they say on paper but in reality they do keep track of bad debt addresses. For instance, I moved to a new address where the previous tenants had bad debts. When I changed my bank address, my bank called me to verify my info because my new address has been flagged as a "hot address". Every day I get these debt letters coming through the mail and I initially took the time to write "moved" on the letters and return it to the senders but they never stop coming. So now I just bin them. There is nothing much I can do if returning the mail to senders don't work and I'm not legally allowed to open the mail and phone these companies up to explain.

You can tell if the letters are from debt agencies without needing to open the mail. Just google the return address on those letters and you can find out what they are about.
Edited by: "Slash" 24th Sep 2012

miikeyblue

We had someone knock our door earlier, asking to view the piano we had … We had someone knock our door earlier, asking to view the piano we had for sale. They'd been given our address by someone on the internet apparently, never owned a piano. In fact I can't even play. Not the same I know, just thought I'd share.

WTF!

miikeyblue

We had someone knock our door earlier, asking to view the piano we had … We had someone knock our door earlier, asking to view the piano we had for sale. They'd been given our address by someone on the internet apparently, never owned a piano. In fact I can't even play. Not the same I know, just thought I'd share.

Perhaps you just misunderstood their enquiry about pianist envy.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your help - at least my credit status seems fine and if all fails the circular filing cabinet can deal with them (I.e the bin)

I read on a forum one time about a guy who was sick of junk mail, so he, like you, politely returned the letters with a note of "no longer living here" or words to that effect. when this had no effect he gathered up all his junk mail and sent it to them, obviously without paying for the postage he simply put "Freepost" on the envelope. This reduced the amount of junk mail but did not stop it, for the worst offenders he sent them a brick, seemed like a good way of getting you own back on junk mailers.

Slash

The previous tenant's debt shouldn't affect you. That's what they say on … The previous tenant's debt shouldn't affect you. That's what they say on paper but in reality they do keep track of bad debt addresses. For instance, I moved to a new address where the previous tenants had bad debts. When I changed my bank address, my bank called me to verify my info because my new address has been flagged as a "hot address". Every day I get these debt letters coming through the mail and I initially took the time to write "moved" on the letters and return it to the senders but they never stop coming. So now I just bin them. There is nothing much I can do if returning the mail to senders don't work and I'm not legally allowed to open the mail and phone these companies up to explain.You can tell if the letters are from debt agencies without needing to open the mail. Just google the return address on those letters and you can find out what they are about.

Renegade01

I read on a forum one time about a guy who was sick of junk mail, so he, … I read on a forum one time about a guy who was sick of junk mail, so he, like you, politely returned the letters with a note of "no longer living here" or words to that effect. when this had no effect he gathered up all his junk mail and sent it to them, obviously without paying for the postage he simply put "Freepost" on the envelope. This reduced the amount of junk mail but did not stop it, for the worst offenders he sent them a brick, seemed like a good way of getting you own back on junk mailers.

Also see:

"Just found a new hobby!"

"An interesting read about Junk Mail"

...and...

[ blameitonthevoices.com/201…tml ]

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/012011/owning_american_express.jpg

Original Poster

It's just gets better! Had a knock on the door earlier asking for the the last occupiers - no he wasn't a bailiff he was from an accidents claim company and they have a fat cheque to pay out to home for an accident that wasn't his fault. As they also have no forwarding address he can't get paid!! Ha ha - if any bailiff's do come knocking I'll send them in the direction of the solicitors
Edited by: "nicoleisapayne" 26th Sep 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions