Groups

Bad news: No refunds for Empire Direct customers

KPMG, administrators of Empire Direct have confirmed that customers would not receive the goods they ordered or a refund.

Mark Firmin, joint administrator and KPMG Restructuring Partner said: The customer phone line we established on Tuesday has received a thousand calls a day from concerned customers and so I am very aware of how regrettable this situation is for many customers of Empire Direct. Those who have paid by card should contact their card provider to establish whether they are entitled to a refund. We will be working with the card providers to facilitate refunds.

There are 5,800 customers who have placed and paid for goods that they have not yet received. Of these, 4,800 paid by card and, using banking industry data, the administrators estimate that just over 4,000 of these will be able to claim a refund from their card issuer.

The remaining customers will become unsecured creditors of the company and can lodge a claim with the administrators, though a dividend is not expected.

The administrators also confirmed that no further redundancies have been made and that their efforts to sell the business' assets were continuing, following receipt of 159 expressions of interest from potential purchasers, ranging from major international businesses to corner shops.

source:theretailbulletin.com/new…09/

14 Comments

isan't that theft ????
    :w00t:

Unsecured creditors, wtf? Under the terms of the Distance Selling Act, companies cannot charge until an item is dispatched, so how do they justify that pre-admin cash grab?

What happened to Empire Direct? Are they going under too?

saayinla;4175654

What happened to Empire Direct? Are they going under too?

You mean you haven't seen their homepage ?

They went into administration a couple of days ago.

empiredirect.co.uk/con…ct/

Gone under haven't they?

Oh My, I jusst got the news now, Thank god, I almost bought a washing machine from them like 2 weeks ago, and I also wanted to send back my lcd TV for repair as I paid for 3 years extended warranty. So what happens now to my warranty?

i placed a instore collection order around 3 weeks ago and as soon as i remembered to collect it, they went under.

a well constructed fraud imo, they were flying with stores throughout west Yorkshire.

saayinla;4175691

Oh My, I jusst got the news now, Thank god, I almost bought a washing … Oh My, I jusst got the news now, Thank god, I almost bought a washing machine from them like 2 weeks ago, and I also wanted to send back my lcd TV for repair as I paid for 3 years extended warranty. So what happens now to my warranty?

I think that should be a case of what warranty!

I sold my television from them last week on amazon which had a 3 year warranty and picked up a Pioneer LCD on Monday from Richer Sounds prior to the administration. That was a stroke of luck.
    I don't know where you stand with Empire Direct's warranty although I think its a case of being worthless. So long as your television is under 12 months old, you'll be covered by the manufacturers warranty. You would need to look elsewhere to get an extension on the warranty from another provider!

I am really glad I got my Netbook from them a few days before they went bust. A close shave or what!

dxx;4175566

Unsecured creditors, wtf? Under the terms of the Distance Selling Act, … Unsecured creditors, wtf? Under the terms of the Distance Selling Act, companies cannot charge until an item is dispatched, so how do they justify that pre-admin cash grab?

I think a change in the credit law is long overdue and needed and in the way it is enforced and a change in the fraud law and how this is also enforced were companies are concerned that can easily pocket money for doing nothing and then plead poverty when they go POP. Fn scumbags the lot of them find out where the md lives and smear dog turd in his gob, the smell will be no different.

OMG I didn't know this - our TV's are from here - only 6 months old at the mo - thank goodness we didn't buy extended warranties this time!

Predikuesi;4176140

I am really glad I got my Netbook from them a few days before they went … I am really glad I got my Netbook from them a few days before they went bust. A close shave or what!

yeah reverse the payment if you can

They briefly mentioned this on Noels HQ with a couple that had saved for a dishwasher and fridge freezer for 18 months. Obviously a one of case.

I seriously think this practice is disgusting!

They could obviously see this coming so WTF gives them the right to take payment on more orders only to then turn round and call the administrators in?

As far as I am concerned, the money paid to them for items is not rightfully theirs until they fulfill their side of the contract and provide the goods - returning the money paid by customers for items they have yet to receive should be first priority! How can they just keep innocent buyers cash and put it into a big pot with everything else?

Same way why does it have to be the buyer's problem if Zavvi goes bust, why shouldn't the customers be allowed to use their gift vouchers instore which have already been paid for, but they will happily take more cash off everyone!

I really think something should be done to protect the buyers, not the fat cats!

Rant over, for now! :x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4532118
      2. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
      4. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66

See more discussions