Bad time to buy a car ?

Posted 18th Mar
Just wanted to get your opinions - My current car is due to be collected tomorrow by one of these cash for your car websites , I got a good price for it . Friday I am then meant to be going to view a car , its used , around the right price for age and spec but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I should hold off due to the current climate . Will prices come down do you think over the coming months ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I’d be holding off on any big outgoings until things blow over. There will be a lot of uncertainty over the coming weeks and months ahead. That is unless you are in a fortunate position to be able to shed out that much money or take on additional loan payments and have a 100% secure job. If there’s nothing wrong with your current car I’d hold off for the time being. You can always sell it privately later and get a little more for it rather than using those cash for car places. If you adamant on buying then pull out of the deal and guaranteed you’ll get a way better offer.
23 Comments
Call and try to knock money off or adding free service 1/2 . If they say no . Say you will just leave it . You haven't paid yet so you have the power . So try to negotiate a better deal or walk away
dezbo888818/03/2020 09:09

Call and try to knock money off or adding free service 1/2 . If they say …Call and try to knock money off or adding free service 1/2 . If they say no . Say you will just leave it . You haven't paid yet so you have the power . So try to negotiate a better deal or walk away

I gave them a call yesterday and managed to get £400 off and a tank of fuel but thats it , this is on a £45k car so not much of a discount !
If this whole pandemic wasnt happening just now would you have went down on Friday to buy it?

If you would have, go and get it. Don't let whats happening dictate what you would do. It may drop in price over the next month or two or it may not.
1% discount, You must be joking.
Walk away, find it elsewhere.
List make model and spec you want and others on here might find you a better deal.
Personally I can't see car prices going up, other than say the cheep run around as people are likely nervous on spending big money on new and nearly new cars. Unless you need one now I'd hold off as I think they will be selling new cars with heavy discount. However you need to factor in any cost on not having a car in the interim.
I’d be holding off on any big outgoings until things blow over. There will be a lot of uncertainty over the coming weeks and months ahead. That is unless you are in a fortunate position to be able to shed out that much money or take on additional loan payments and have a 100% secure job. If there’s nothing wrong with your current car I’d hold off for the time being. You can always sell it privately later and get a little more for it rather than using those cash for car places. If you adamant on buying then pull out of the deal and guaranteed you’ll get a way better offer.
Cheers guys , I figure any price drops will also mean lower values for my current car so what I may gain by holding out a few weeks to buy I'd lose on my trade in / sale value (I'd be keeping my current car if I decide not to buy the new one ).

I'll try again for more discount and if needs be walk away .
Have this car buying company come out to view the car? My mate got quoted £5650 for his Range Rover last week, they came out Sunday 9.30am and offered him £4850 because it had stone chips and a couple of dents, the cars a bloody 06 plate its bound to have chips! Just make sure they don't have you over.
And imo I'd probably wait a few weeks, I'm currently looking at BMW m4's and hoping a bargain pops up!
Toon_army18/03/2020 10:45

Have this car buying company come out to view the car? My mate got quoted …Have this car buying company come out to view the car? My mate got quoted £5650 for his Range Rover last week, they came out Sunday 9.30am and offered him £4850 because it had stone chips and a couple of dents, the cars a bloody 06 plate its bound to have chips! Just make sure they don't have you over.And imo I'd probably wait a few weeks, I'm currently looking at BMW m4's and hoping a bargain pops up!

Its a group buyer for BMW with a good reputation on the forums . The car is mint , only 18 months old so they'd be hard pushed to find anything wrong with it . he's offering what I was asking for a private sale , which is about 3k more than any other trade in value I received before.
rosscopecotrain18/03/2020 10:49

Its a group buyer for BMW with a good reputation on the forums . The car …Its a group buyer for BMW with a good reputation on the forums . The car is mint , only 18 months old so they'd be hard pushed to find anything wrong with it . he's offering what I was asking for a private sale , which is about 3k more than any other trade in value I received before.

When I had my mk3 Focus RS I couldn't for the love of god find a cash buyer, luckily W Ferguson over Carlisle came to the rescue and bought it, think he stuck 3k on top of the price he gave me, my car was mint so knew he couldn't knock me down. I had plenty traders offering £25k when it was up for £33k lol.
Hope you get what they've offered you though.
I just hate all these car buying places robbing people.
Toon_army18/03/2020 10:55

When I had my mk3 Focus RS I couldn't for the love of god find a cash …When I had my mk3 Focus RS I couldn't for the love of god find a cash buyer, luckily W Ferguson over Carlisle came to the rescue and bought it, think he stuck 3k on top of the price he gave me, my car was mint so knew he couldn't knock me down. I had plenty traders offering £25k when it was up for £33k lol.Hope you get what they've offered you though.I just hate all these car buying places robbing people.

I know exactly what you mean , I've actually just checked webuyanycar to see what they are offering now compared to a week ago ...... 10k less !! absolute joke . I don't know whether they are doing it because right now they just don't want to buy cars or whether they are preying on people that are desperate to get some money and are thinking of selling .
rosscopecotrain18/03/2020 10:49

Its a group buyer for BMW with a good reputation on the forums . The car …Its a group buyer for BMW with a good reputation on the forums . The car is mint , only 18 months old so they'd be hard pushed to find anything wrong with it . he's offering what I was asking for a private sale , which is about 3k more than any other trade in value I received before.

In that case I'd sell the current car and pick up a cheap shed to cover you. Look at the barge bargains thread on pistonheads.
I think prices will fall so I'd be locking in what sounds a good offer for yours (I'm assuming we're talking over £20K for yours?) and be looking at dtd/carwow etc for deals. Not many people are going to be looking to spend £45k on a used car in this situation when we dont know how bad the economic impact will be.
mas9918/03/2020 11:02

In that case I'd sell the current car and pick up a cheap shed to cover …In that case I'd sell the current car and pick up a cheap shed to cover you. Look at the barge bargains thread on pistonheads. I think prices will fall so I'd be locking in what sounds a good offer for yours (I'm assuming we're talking over £20K for yours?) and be looking at dtd/carwow etc for deals. Not many people are going to be looking to spend £45k on a used car in this situation when we dont know how bad the economic impact will be.

yeah , I think you may be right . Can't see me ever getting this good a price for my car again
rosscopecotrain18/03/2020 11:00

I know exactly what you mean , I've actually just checked webuyanycar to …I know exactly what you mean , I've actually just checked webuyanycar to see what they are offering now compared to a week ago ...... 10k less !! absolute joke . I don't know whether they are doing it because right now they just don't want to buy cars or whether they are preying on people that are desperate to get some money and are thinking of selling .

Webuyanycar is owned by bca auctions. It is obvious that less people will go to auctions, less people will go to forecourts, less people will be travelling, less people will consider an expensive car purchase a necessity at this time.
Car prices can only go one way (down).

Personally, I would wait 101%.
rosscopecotrain18/03/2020 11:04

yeah , I think you may be right . Can't see me ever getting this good a …yeah , I think you may be right . Can't see me ever getting this good a price for my car again

Depending on what you need the car to do I'd eitrher pick up a cheap barge, summer runaround or maybe look at short term lease - if you've ever thought about going electric and want to test the water then evezy will rent you anything from a zoe to a tesla on a short term lease.
I got £400 off a £5000 car so £400 off £45000 is pathetic.
mas9918/03/2020 11:10

Depending on what you need the car to do I'd eitrher pick up a cheap …Depending on what you need the car to do I'd eitrher pick up a cheap barge, summer runaround or maybe look at short term lease - if you've ever thought about going electric and want to test the water then evezy will rent you anything from a zoe to a tesla on a short term lease.

Thanks , my partner has a car that we both use and I work from home anyway so I can survive without my own for a while.

I know exactly what you mean , I've actually just checked webuyanycar to …I know exactly what you mean , I've actually just checked webuyanycar to see what they are offering now compared to a week ago ...... 10k less !! absolute joke . I don't know whether they are doing it because right now they just don't want to buy cars or whether they are preying on people that are desperate to get some money and are thinking of selling .

This is how just works. During financial crash people buy up stock that tanked because markets almost always bounce back. No different anywhere else whether selling a car or negotiating trade deals. Someone usually has a slight edge. Maybe you make exceptions for friends and family.
Edited by: "AnkerMan" 18th Mar
rosscopecotrain18/03/2020 09:13

I gave them a call yesterday and managed to get £400 off and a tank of …I gave them a call yesterday and managed to get £400 off and a tank of fuel but thats it , this is on a £45k car so not much of a discount !

Just wait and put the £45k on the stock market when it hits bottom, you'll soon be able to afford a supercar
Bigfootpete18/03/2020 13:35

Just wait and put the £45k on the stock market when it hits bottom, you'll …Just wait and put the £45k on the stock market when it hits bottom, you'll soon be able to afford a supercar

i am an investor and even i would not give this advice as you never know where the bottom of the stock market is!
Edited by: "mutley1" 18th Mar
mutley118/03/2020 14:43

i am an investor and even i would not give this advice as you never know …i am an investor and even i would not give this advice as you never know where the bottom of the stock market is!

having invested in crypto and stocks I'm well aware that the bottom of the market is never certain ! thanks though
mutley118/03/2020 14:43

i am an investor and even i would not give this advice as you never know …i am an investor and even i would not give this advice as you never know where the bottom of the stock market is!

rosscopecotrain18/03/2020 15:17

having invested in crypto and stocks I'm well aware that the bottom of the …having invested in crypto and stocks I'm well aware that the bottom of the market is never certain ! thanks though

No you're wrong, mutley is the only person that knows about investments on here...I won't have anyone say any other

Soon it'll be 'wedon'tbuyanycar.com' there's millions of cars unsold our there, god knows what's going to happen when we're not allowed to drive petrol or diesel cars anymore.

Should be an absolute buyers market in a year of two.

OP in answer to your original question, it depends how much you want that particular car, I've been umming and arring lately, I do tend to think the car picks you and not the other way around
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants