Bad upload speed with Plusnet

Posted 12th Apr
Hi,

I`m having terrible upload speeds with Plusnet right now. My wife is a School Teacher and is working from home. She is trying to upload work for her children on to the School website and it`s taking forever to do anything. She is also trying to use MS Teams and that is poor also.

Any idea why my upload speed is so poor?
Community Updates
Ask
88 Comments
How would anyone know? Package? Location? Nearest exchange?
Edited by: "fearona" 12th Apr
Just done a speed test

40392738-O6upL.jpg
More than likely that everyone is also home too, could also be the other person's end too
Reboot router.
fearona12/04/2020 18:30

Reboot router.

I`ll give that a try as soon as I can, thank you
I'm surprised you haven't figured it out yet @Frank30uk

40392758-j4dQM.jpg
Edited by: "Spykii" 12th Apr
Bob2460112/04/2020 18:30

More than likely that everyone is also home too, could also be the other …More than likely that everyone is also home too, could also be the other person's end too

Was thinking that the lockdown and everyone being online could be the cause possibly, cheers
As mentioned above try and reset the router, if that’s your download speed normally you should be getting around 1-2mbps upload speed I should think. If resetting doesn’t work try unplugging every cable for the router and plug them back in
Spykii12/04/2020 18:31

I'm surprised you haven't figured it out yet @Frank30uk[Image]

Hi Vassy, I can`t understand for the life of me why this is. I have tried replacing the filter and checking the router settings which all seem alright. Will reboot the Router in a moment to see if that changes anything but 0.01mbps is just chronic to say the least!

Hope you and the family are keeping alright buddy
I'm having the same issue with sky usually get 60-70 I'm getting 1-5
Frank30uk12/04/2020 18:33

Hi Vassy, I can`t understand for the life of me why this is. I have tried …Hi Vassy, I can`t understand for the life of me why this is. I have tried replacing the filter and checking the router settings which all seem alright. Will reboot the Router in a moment to see if that changes anything but 0.01mbps is just chronic to say the least!Hope you and the family are keeping alright buddy

Hi Frank,
See if the steps in this link helps - community.plus.net/t5/…360

All good at my end buddy.. Thanks

Take care n keep safe
Arto12/04/2020 18:32

As mentioned above try and reset the router, if that’s your download speed …As mentioned above try and reset the router, if that’s your download speed normally you should be getting around 1-2mbps upload speed I should think. If resetting doesn’t work try unplugging every cable for the router and plug them back in

Download speed is norm around 15mbps but not sure about upload. I do know uploading stuff is norm pretty quick though as we have uploaded several photos in the past to sites like Snapfish in good time.
I`ll do the reset as soon as my wife is off the Internet and check the RJ11 cable. Already replaced the filter as mentioned. Will also double check the settings in my Router. Thx
benhornsby199912/04/2020 18:35

I'm having the same issue with sky usually get 60-70 I'm getting 1-5 …I'm having the same issue with sky usually get 60-70 I'm getting 1-5

OMG Ben, it has to be everyone hogging the Bandwidth with this lockdown then
Spykii12/04/2020 18:37

Hi Frank, See if the steps in this link helps - …Hi Frank, See if the steps in this link helps - https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Slow-Upload-Speed/td-p/1697360All good at my end buddy.. Thanks Take care n keep safe

Will check this out in a moment buddy. Thanks for your help
Frank30uk12/04/2020 18:40

OMG Ben, it has to be everyone hogging the Bandwidth with this lockdown …OMG Ben, it has to be everyone hogging the Bandwidth with this lockdown then

That's what I'm thinking hoping it'll get better soon
Edited by: "benhornsby1999" 12th Apr
Frank30uk12/04/2020 18:29

Just done a speed test[Image]

Stop. Before doing anything, what are the sync speeds as stated within the Admin section of the router?
AndyRoyd12/04/2020 18:48

Stop. Before doing anything, what are the sync speeds as stated within the …Stop. Before doing anything, what are the sync speeds as stated within the Admin section of the router?

If your asking me for my Downstream rate, here is what I have

40392962-A0lif.jpg
deleted2473787
No slow down here still getting my usual 80/20
I`ve done several speed tests and this is my best result

40393035-AxfOL.jpg
I`ll try rebooting shortly and check out that guide you sent me Vassy. It`s been like this for days now and can only assume it`s something to do with this lockdown OR due to my wife doing a LOT more uploading with this home learning
Frank30uk12/04/2020 19:01

I`ve done several speed tests and this is my best result [Image] I`ll try …I`ve done several speed tests and this is my best result [Image] I`ll try rebooting shortly and check out that guide you sent me Vassy. It`s been like this for days now and can only assume it`s something to do with this lockdown OR due to my wife doing a LOT more uploading with this home learning

That 0.64Mbps being within circa 80% of the sync seems reasonable, based on assumption of ADSL rather than fibre and you being located next door to the exchange.
Been with them a couple of times never had a problem
with the Post office now that is a different matter awful router
and will only let me upload to Imgur if I use VPN
Frank30uk12/04/2020 19:01

I`ve done several speed tests and this is my best result [Image] I`ll try …I`ve done several speed tests and this is my best result [Image] I`ll try rebooting shortly and check out that guide you sent me Vassy. It`s been like this for days now and can only assume it`s something to do with this lockdown OR due to my wife doing a LOT more uploading with this home learning

Rebooting it is the very first thing you should have done, before even posting this question here. It literally only takes a couple of minutes.
Frank30uk12/04/2020 18:53

If your asking me for my Downstream rate, here is what I have[Image]

your signal to noise ratio is terrible, you are quite close to the exchange so this speed doesn’t seem right no matter how many are online at the same time.

edit you are not on fibre?
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 12th Apr
AndyRoyd12/04/2020 19:06

That 0.64Mbps being within circa 80% of the sync seems reasonable, based …That 0.64Mbps being within circa 80% of the sync seems reasonable, based on assumption of ADSL rather than fibre and you being located next door to the exchange.

Interesting, ok. Well as mentioned I never really paid attention to my upload speed but rather my download rate. Maybe it`s always been around this then

No fibre available im my area so my wife will have to do the best she can with what we have. A bit of a mare for her
Wongy11012/04/2020 19:07

Been with them a couple of times never had a problemwith the Post office …Been with them a couple of times never had a problemwith the Post office now that is a different matter awful routerand will only let me upload to Imgur if I use VPN

It`s rare we have any problem with Plusnet tbh. I can only imagine this lockdown thing is just not helping matters.

How odd you can only upload to Imgur if using a VPN? is it the same for any other sites?
I'm on their fibre 34mb however I'm get 20mb download and 10mb upload. If I was to connect router to the main socket (main hallway) I would get top speed. However as my preference is to have everything wired I used the socket in living room.

You have top options:
1. Connect router to main socket
2. Use powerline adaptor
3. Go into the router and change the channel (may increase upload speed)
Edited by: "rimalpatel007" 12th Apr
Haircut_10012/04/2020 19:07

Rebooting it is the very first thing you should have done, before even …Rebooting it is the very first thing you should have done, before even posting this question here. It literally only takes a couple of minutes.

I didn`t know rebooting what have made any difference. Had I have know this I would have done that. Thanks
Frank30uk12/04/2020 19:13

It`s rare we have any problem with Plusnet tbh. I can only imagine this …It`s rare we have any problem with Plusnet tbh. I can only imagine this lockdown thing is just not helping matters. How odd you can only upload to Imgur if using a VPN? is it the same for any other sites?

Works fine on here and been sending some photos via email the last few weeks.
I just rebooted the Router and I have 7.35 download / 0.42 upload so no difference in the upload rate
Edited by: "Frank30uk" 12th Apr
Are you connecting to router via WiFi? If so try connection via wire. If it improves drastically try changing your wifi channels to a less busy one.
Dannyrobbo12/04/2020 19:10

your signal to noise ratio is terrible, you are quite close to the …your signal to noise ratio is terrible, you are quite close to the exchange so this speed doesn’t seem right no matter how many are online at the same time.edit you are not on fibre?

Ok, so there does appear to be a fault on my line then. Sorry but those numbers I posted don`t meen a thing to me even though I like to think I am fairly tech savvy. Will I need to contact Plusnet do you think?
Frank30uk12/04/2020 19:20

I just rebooted the Router and I have 7.35 download / 0.42 upload so no …I just rebooted the Router and I have 7.35 download / 0.42 upload so no difference in the download rate

Have sync speeds changed significantly?
Ringfinger12/04/2020 19:22

Are you connecting to router via WiFi? If so try connection via wire. If …Are you connecting to router via WiFi? If so try connection via wire. If it improves drastically try changing your wifi channels to a less busy one.

Good point as I failed to mention that!. It`s connected over an LAN cable
AndyRoyd12/04/2020 19:23

Have sync speeds changed significantly?

Can`t see much different from last time regarding numbers

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 828 22191
Max Rate (Kbps) 1428 25056
SNR Margin (dB) 12.8 4.2
Line Attenuation (dB) 6.8 11.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Frank30uk12/04/2020 19:27

Can`t see much different from last time regarding numbers Upstream …Can`t see much different from last time regarding numbers Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps) 828 22191Max Rate (Kbps) 1428 25056SNR Margin (dB) 12.8 4.2Line Attenuation (dB) 6.8 11.5Errors (Pkts) 0 0

The similarity of those 2nd set of figures is astounding, to the extent it seems questionable. Did you physically drop the power to the router?
AndyRoyd12/04/2020 19:33

The similarity of those 2nd set of figures is astounding, to the extent it …The similarity of those 2nd set of figures is astounding, to the extent it seems questionable. Did you physically drop the power to the router?

I just turned it off and back on? I was quite surprised to see the similar numbers as I expected them to be at 0.

Sorry but this stuff is over my head
Dannyrobbo12/04/2020 19:10

your signal to noise ratio is terrible, you are quite close to the …your signal to noise ratio is terrible, you are quite close to the exchange so this speed doesn’t seem right no matter how many are online at the same time.edit you are not on fibre?

Just checked this and I see what you mean regarding the SNR for the downstream after a quick Google.

I found this:-

Signal-to-noise ratio(SNR) is another figure you can check in the ADSL stats of your home / corporate router (show dsl interface atm(something) for Cisco). This number is also expressed in dBs and describes the relation between your speaking strength (signal) and the street’s noise strength (noise). The higher this number is, the better, as your speaking voice outperforms the noise.

10dB and below is bad <-------- ME
11db – 20dB is OK
20dB – 28dB is excellent
29dB and above is outstanding
Quick question - Could a better Router improve my upload speed?
Frank30uk12/04/2020 19:20

I just rebooted the Router and I have 7.35 download / 0.42 upload so no …I just rebooted the Router and I have 7.35 download / 0.42 upload so no difference in the download rate

Just wondering, do you happen to torrent stuff at all?
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 12th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions