Expired

Bag stolen

Found 12th Nov 2015
I was travelling on the bus last weekend and left my bag of clothes shopping which was worth over £100!! I've rang around everywhere and nothing has been handed in, called Police and they're useless basically not going to take it further even though CCTV on bus and everything still they do not care, I have spent too much money and clothes from
Topshop, absolutely kicking myself for forgetting damn thing in first place, anybody have any advice/help

1. Ask
  2. Bag
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Bag
76 Comments

Why not post on local face book sites and ask around if anyone knows anything?

Wasn't exactly stolen, was it!

I would try fb even tho i cant stand it it has the odd use. You hve two outcomes here. The lucky outcome a decent human being has found it and may be trying to advertise for rightful owner. The unlucky outcome some scumbag has taken it as theirs. If thats happened you hve no chance tbh its gone. Did u ring bus company?

stuarthanley

To think that you must have a weird sense of morality. By definition it is stealing. Taking another person's property without permission or legal right and without intending to return it is the definition of stealing.

MIDURIX

To think that you must have a weird sense of morality. By definition it … To think that you must have a weird sense of morality. By definition it is stealing. Taking another person's property without permission or legal right and without intending to return it is the definition of stealing.

I'd better call the police and report my bin men then.

stuarthanley

I'd better call the police and report my bin men then.

The OP has said nothing was left on the bus, so a member of the public must have taken it. So your binmen comment makes no sense, what would make more sense is saying "I'd better call the police about me neighbour who is raiding my bin" that's what has happened in this case.

You should be able to request a dvd of any cctv the bus company got when you were on the bus under that bit of legislation, maybe the footage they give you might show someone quickly taking it straight after you leave.

Give it a couple of days, once they realise it's Topshop stuff they'll probably sit it back on the bus.

stuarthanley

It's classed as theft by finding, a criminal offence
The ole finders keepers saying is not true

MIDURIX

You should be able to request a dvd of any cctv the bus company got when … You should be able to request a dvd of any cctv the bus company got when you were on the bus under that bit of legislation, maybe the footage they give you might show someone quickly taking it straight after you leave.

You cant actually you can ask them to check it but they cant give it to you for data proction

Its gone forget about it.

123batman321

You cant actually you can ask them to check it but they cant give it to … You cant actually you can ask them to check it but they cant give it to you for data proction

100% inaccurate.

mrwhitelabel

It's classed as theft by finding, a criminal offenceThe ole finders … It's classed as theft by finding, a criminal offenceThe ole finders keepers saying is not true

Exactly. It wasn't stolen. You can't steal something that's been abandoned. I agree that it taken without consent and is therefore theft but it wasn't stolen from the OP.

Go to the police station, ask them to file a report, get them to get the CCTV. If they fob you off make a complaint.
simple

Too much stress trying to find it, when it's probably never going to happen. Write it off as a bad loss. Perhaps the clothes have been redistributed to a homeless shelter (or if you paid cash and left the receipt in the bag, they have been returned...). Either way, be more careful and think of it as £100 donation to someone more needy than you.
Edited by: "Mermoo" 12th Nov 2015

stuarthanley

Exactly. It wasn't stolen. You can't steal something that's been … Exactly. It wasn't stolen. You can't steal something that's been abandoned. I agree that it taken without consent and is therefore theft but it wasn't stolen from the OP.

Theft and stealing have the same intent and outcome:
Wilfully taking with the intention to permenantly deprive the owner
Eg
A victim of theft, has had an item stolen
It does not have to physically taken from their person to count.

MIDURIX

100% inaccurate.

The only thing innacurate was my spelling i meant protection. Go and ask any business for a copy of their cctv be it a small or large business they will not give it to you they wil check it for you but they wont give u a copy

There are some decent people out there, I left a £200 coat on the bus when I was a kid which was handed in

Obviously though if you live in London you're screwed, anywhere else, you have half a chance........

ChrisUK

There are some decent people out there, I left a £200 coat on the bus … There are some decent people out there, I left a £200 coat on the bus when I was a kid which was handed in :)Obviously though if you live in London you're screwed, anywhere else, you have half a chance........

You had a £200 coat when you were a kid?! So what were you doing on a bus, was the limo in for its service...oO

Mermoo

You had a £200 coat when you were a kid?! So what were you doing on a … You had a £200 coat when you were a kid?! So what were you doing on a bus, was the limo in for its service...oO

Yes, I was quite poor as a kid & my parents couldn't afford the £500 one.

ChrisUK

Yes, I was quite poor as a kid & my parents couldn't afford the £500 one.

I think you mean they couldn't afford a car because they spent the insurance money at Harvey Nichols!

Mermoo

I think you mean they couldn't afford a car because they spend the … I think you mean they couldn't afford a car because they spend the insurance money at Harvey Nichols!

Harrods darling.....

mrwhitelabel

Theft and stealing have the same intent and outcome:Wilfully taking with … Theft and stealing have the same intent and outcome:Wilfully taking with the intention to permenantly deprive the ownerEgA victim of theft, has had an item stolenIt does not have to physically taken from their person to count.

There was no owner at the point of taking it.
If you spot a fiver on the street and no-one else is around, do you leave it in case the owner returns for it or pick it up for safe keeping?

thesite.org/cri…tml
Edited by: "SJHan" 12th Nov 2015

If it makes you feel a bit better OP, I found a wallet in the middle of a shopping centre on Tuesday and handed it straight in to security after looking around and nobody around had dropped it. Everyone else just walked past and ignored it. There are some good people around, and hopefully they handed your bag in somewhere.

Original Poster

MIDURIX

To think that you must have a weird sense of morality. By definition it … To think that you must have a weird sense of morality. By definition it is stealing. Taking another person's property without permission or legal right and without intending to return it is the definition of stealing.

I agree weird sense of morality! Why such ppl even bother replying?!!

Original Poster

Thanks for replies, I tried asking bus co re cctv footage they said no data protection etc and told me to call
Police! Police are waste of time no wonder ppl think it's easy to steal and get away with it!

stuarthanley

There was no owner at the point of taking it. If you spot a fiver on the … There was no owner at the point of taking it. If you spot a fiver on the street and no-one else is around, do you leave it in case the owner returns for it or pick it up for safe keeping? http://www.thesite.org/crime-and-safety/your-rights/lost-property-9126.html

The key is the intent.

Theft is taking with intent of permenantly depriving the owner of it, whether the owner is there or not.
If you take it for safekeeping to hand in, its not theft as you don't intend to permenantly keep it and wouldn't meet the dishonesty rules criteria to secure a conviction.

These people learnt the hard way, maybe you should learn from them, to prevent facing a maximum 7year sentence if caught

m.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/new…592

m.newspostleader.co.uk/new…267

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 12th Nov 2015

unfortunately it is gone so just try to accept it and make sure you check in your seat before getting up next time. cctv are only used for serious crime like assault or murder, this won't be considered serious enough.

lighti

Thanks for replies, I tried asking bus co re cctv footage they said no … Thanks for replies, I tried asking bus co re cctv footage they said no data protection etc and told me to callPolice! Police are waste of time no wonder ppl think it's easy to steal and get away with it!

Yes just like i said data protection prevents them fro giving u a copy. I hope your lucky and get it back. I try to be honest if i found a bag or wallet or fone etc wil always try to trace owner. If i find 10 quid goes in the pocket nxt to impossible to find whos it was. Id buy kids a toy to offset the guilt lol

lighti

Thanks for replies, I tried asking bus co re cctv footage they said no … Thanks for replies, I tried asking bus co re cctv footage they said no data protection etc and told me to callPolice! Police are waste of time no wonder ppl think it's easy to steal and get away with it!

Data protection could work in your favour *possibly*
you can make a statutiry declarion request to their data controller for copies of data including CCTV that features you.. It's possible it will show someone taking it, but iT may be edited just to show you when you leave. Only police can request the full thing or you could ask bus company to review it on your behalf to see if it shows someone taking it or not

mrwhitelabel

The key is the intent.Theft is taking with intent of permenantly … The key is the intent.Theft is taking with intent of permenantly depriving the owner of it, whether the owner is there or not. If you take it for safekeeping to hand in, its not theft as you don't intebd to permenantly intend to keep it , These people learnt the hard way, maybe you should learn from them, to prevent facing a maximum 7year sentence if caughthttp://m.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/crime/hero-stopped-hartlepool-post-office-robber-then-pocketed-the-loot-himself-1-7551592http://m.newspostleader.co.uk/news/local/police-warn-about-theft-by-finding-1-6711267http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357741/In-court-charged-theft-finding-woman-took-food-Tesco-bin.html

Did you even read the link I posted?
The only thing the "thief" needs to do is to reasonably try to locate the owner. One person's definition of reasonable is not the same as another.
I find a bag on a bus. I ask everyone if it belongs to them. I mention it to the bus driver who just looks at me like I've gone mental. I get home and phone the police who aren't interested because they've got speeding motorists and bus lane users to prosecute.... Have I reasonably done enough?

MIDURIX

100% inaccurate.

Im still waiting for ur insight into how im "100% innacurate" lol

Your crying over £100, basically a days work. i'm always losing/forgetting stuff, sh*t happens! Think positively you could have chronic toothache.

stuarthanley

Did you even read the link I posted? The only thing the "thief" needs to … Did you even read the link I posted? The only thing the "thief" needs to do is to reasonably try to locate the owner. One person's definition of reasonable is not the same as another.I find a bag on a bus. I ask everyone if it belongs to them. I mention it to the bus driver who just looks at me like I've gone mental. I get home and phone the police who aren't interested because they've got speeding motorists and bus lane users to prosecute.... Have I reasonably done enough?

Nope, should leave it with driver to hand in OR hand in yourself to his depot where it is reasonable the person looking for it will go to try and locate it.

If after a reasonable time if not claimed then its reasonable to allow you to keep it
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 12th Nov 2015

So the police are useless you say? Look in the mirror and think whos the fool who left it there in the first place causing them more work. It isnt a theft just lost property and they dont deal with that, Theyve got better things to do. Rant over.

mrwhitelabel

Nope, should leave it with driver to hand in OR hand in yourself to his … Nope, should leave it with driver to hand in OR hand in yourself to his depot where it is reasonable the person looking for it will after a reasonable time if not claimed then its reasonable to allow you to keep it

Driver isn't going to be interested. Much like an airport terminal, he's not going to want an "abandoned package" left on his bus.
As I've said - your reasonable and my reasonable is going to be different. If I've made an effort to trace the owner (asked around, asked the driver, spoke to the police) then that's reasonable and, more to the point, justifiable.

Rednirah

Your crying over £100, basically a days work. i'm always … Your crying over £100, basically a days work. i'm always losing/forgetting stuff, sh*t happens! Think positively you could have chronic toothache.

Trolling i guess. What did you earn a hundred pound for doing today. Usually people who boast about money hve none lol

123batman321

Trolling i guess. What did you earn a hundred pound for doing today. … Trolling i guess. What did you earn a hundred pound for doing today. Usually people who boast about money hve none lol

Boasting ? Is average days salary. I feel sorry for you Batman, i truly do.

The chances of someone being the same size as you and having the same taste are slim. They will try and take the clothes back to Top Shop to get a refund or credit note. You should have contacted the store to get them to check the returning of items that match what you bought and to alert police if they didn't have a receipt.

Rednirah

Boasting ? Is average days salary. I feel sorry for you Batman, i truly … Boasting ? Is average days salary. I feel sorry for you Batman, i truly do.

Why do you feel sorry for me?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants