Groups

Baking an xmas cake, help needed

I've not done this before, but I want to bake a rich fruit cake for a friend. The trouble is that all of the recipes that I've found start with the instructions ' soak the fruit in brandy or sherry ' and my friend is teetotal, so what do I do? I could just omit the booze but I want the cake to be moist not dry. I'm thinking of using cranberry juice instead, would that be ok? or do you have a better idea.

9 Comments

Yep fruit juice is acceptable, or maybe like one of those non achoholic shlurrp or whatever its called.

Or you could burn off the alcohol first.:thumbsup:

hi,

ive been lookin for a rich fruit cake recipe too... is there anyone knows the best recipe? and yeah without the alcohol i was told to use orange juice as well.

thanks

jellybaby22;6878622

freshed squeezed orange juice ....

+1

or grape juice

Delia sais:-
    Several times before Christmas you can 'feed' your cake – make small holes in the top and base of the cake with a cocktail stick or small skewer, then spoon over a few teaspoons of brandy. (I get a number of letters from people who never touch alcohol, so let me say that freshly squeezed orange juice can be substituted for the booze in the recipe.) I like to wrap the cake in a double layer of silicone paper, then in double foil, before storing it in an airtight container.

deliaonline.com/how…tml

Think you can soak the dried fruit in cold tea

I never soak the fruit.
    See this thread for my fool-proof recipe.

hotukdeals.com/ite…774

Original Poster

chesso;6878687

I never soak the fruit.See this thread for my fool-proof … I never soak the fruit.See this thread for my fool-proof recipe.http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/522774/christmas-cake?t=522774

Thanks, but I see that your recipe includes 4 tsb brandy, I think I'll try fruit juice.

Thanks to all.

doberman;6878799

Thanks, but I see that your recipe includes 4 tsb brandy, I think I'll … Thanks, but I see that your recipe includes 4 tsb brandy, I think I'll try fruit juice.Thanks to all.

The recipe has the brandy in the list BUT it is only for on the top later, thus optional. The juice of a lemon is in the mix.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1217
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News45
      3. PlayStation Hacked Again?33
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?33193

See more discussions