Ballpark cost for decorating house

Posted 3rd Feb
A two up two down, small terraced house in London.

All rooms need decoration. Kitchen and bathroom need all new everything (flooring, tiles, fixtures, the lot).

No underlying things need fixing (electrics etc) and nothing needs doing to the outside..
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Basic full bathroom refurbishment: £3,000

Mid-top range bathroom refurbishment: £10,000

Source: personal research and I've just done a 3m x 1.6m bathroom.
How long is a piece of string?

You could go anywhere from bargain basement with just slapping the cheapest paint on the walls and tarting up wooden floors with varnish and a rug from a charity shop, to getting Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen (other well known interior designers are available) in to manage the whole shebang.

As an example you can get a full bathroom suite for under £200, add in another £200 for paint and accessories and if you can do the work yourself that's it done for less than £500.

You first need to decide on your maximum budget and what minimums you must have. The Kitchen will be the most costly so start there on working out what fixtures and appliances you need.

Even if you are doing this as a landlord or for quick turnaround sale the same applies.
Edited by: "Verbal.Kint" 3rd Feb
Im 3 months in doing up my new home and I’m 40k in as it stands

Windows doors and porch 8k.

New boiler and rads £3k that’s with her brother fitting for free.

Carpets part house £1200

Reskim full house £3k

There’s an idea I cost a lot but mine is a full revamping
I guess I’d like to spend under £20k. From the sounds of it this is possible if I don’t find nasty surprises..
justingalore03/02/2020 08:42

I guess I’d like to spend under £20k. From the sounds of it this is po …I guess I’d like to spend under £20k. From the sounds of it this is possible if I don’t find nasty surprises..

Almost all refurbs go over their low estimate budgets especially if its the first refurb you are doing. 20k is low, provide a fund of 20% to fix unexpected issues.
Verbal.Kint03/02/2020 08:14

How long is a piece of string?You could go anywhere from bargain basement …How long is a piece of string?You could go anywhere from bargain basement with just slapping the cheapest paint on the walls and tarting up wooden floors with varnish and a rug from a charity shop, to getting Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen (other well known interior designers are available) in to manage the whole shebang.As an example you can get a full bathroom suite for under £200, add in another £200 for paint and accessories and if you can do the work yourself that's it done for less than £500.You first need to decide on your maximum budget and what minimums you must have. The Kitchen will be the most costly so start there on working out what fixtures and appliances you need.Even if you are doing this as a landlord or for quick turnaround sale the same applies.

Twice the length from the centre.
justingalore03/02/2020 08:42

I guess I’d like to spend under £20k. From the sounds of it this is po …I guess I’d like to spend under £20k. From the sounds of it this is possible if I don’t find nasty surprises..

Under £20k is very achievable, BUT this comes down to your choice of finish and how much work you put in yourself.
To throw a spanner in the works. If all rooms need decorated. Consider now if you want smart lighting through the house and network cabling.
You might want to check you have permanent live lighting cables for smart switches. A house wired for networking can be handy. Especially if you want any POE CCTV setup for outside.
It’s all extra cost but best think now than regret later.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants