ballpark figure - how much for a standard combi boiler incl installation

Found 30th Apr 2015
thinking of replacing my non combi boiler replaced with a decent combi boiler. have no idea about these things - any got a ballpark figure for what I could end up paying? I'm in Scotland and its a 2 bed bungalow with 1 bathroom.

thanks

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskBoiler
19 Comments
I just got quoted £500 labour, £300 for magnaclean, wireless thermostat and pipework/materials, then the price of the boiler. Vaillant 831 for £1200.

Oh, that was like for like (old combi for new combi). Midlands
Edited by: "kjcoolcat" 30th Apr 2015
Check your water pressure first as combi boilers don't work too well unless you have a good mains water pressure. Sadly many plumbers don't tell you this.
I would say £2k - 2.5K depending on your pipework . I paid £2.3k 18 months ago ,Northern Gas Heating (they are national) - British Gas wanted £4.2k for the same work and boiler Vaillant Ecotec plus 831 (which came with a 7 year warranty- so no need for Homecare provided you have it serviced annually by a Gas Safe certified technician- £65 last year ) That included moving the boiler from the kitchen (downstairs ) to the airing cupboard (upstairs) in the position vacated by the redundant hot water tank .

The added bonus was not having to pay CH Homecare (nearly £300 a year ) and an efficiency saving over my old (13 year old) boiler of about £200 per year in gas bills .
Edited by: "rogparki" 30th Apr 2015
Original Poster
first reply made me smile - the latest reply made me hyperventilate!

I thought it may be 1k -2k.

thanks for the water pressure tip - have no idea but will be googling research and will add this to my notes!
Find a local tradesman on the assured list of local tradesmen,You dont need a powerful boiler so basic power(btu) will suffice and will be abt £400-£600 inc vat...for the job and fitting of boiler it should be no MORE than £1500 max and stay away from brit gas etc as its extortionate from these types
That £1500 price includes the boiler purchase and labour in case im not clear
£1500 average cost for a mid range boiler like baxi. Shop around as you be surprised from one plumber to another. i guess some will quote upto to £5k and others less than £1500. Dont fall for to much sales pitch. the baxi duotech comes with 7 years warranty like Worcester and others.
I agree with £1500 for decent brand.
My son lives in a small house so 5 small room and he had BG out for a quote and they quoted £5600 but we know a plumber that is going to do it for £2500. Son had to have a gas pipe put into the house £950 just for that on top of the £2500.
Edited by: "patti" 1st May 2015
paid about £1500 2 years ago for a baxi boiler with a remote control from a local plumber

i think he did do it a bit cheaper as we got him a lot of work but i certainly wouldnt be paying any more than £2000 unless you live in a mansion
Banned
I just got quoted 1900 to Covert from open system to new combination

labour 700 materials 1200

includes magnaclean and fry limescale filter. baxi 24 kw boiler flue wireless therm.
Labour inc materials is £500-£700 tops (I paid £500 labour for a combi), and then you choose the boiler e.g from b&q and pay whatever it costs.
I would suggest you get a quote. Use myhammer.co.UK . post your job and authorised tradesman will quote the price and you can see their ratings provided by previous customers them choose the cheapest or best rated.
Edited by: "MR1123" 1st May 2015
Banned
MR1123

Labour inc materials is £500-£700 tops (I paid £500 for a combi), and th … Labour inc materials is £500-£700 tops (I paid £500 for a combi), and then you choose the boiler e.g from b&q and pay whatever it costs. I would suggest you get a quote. Use myhammer.co.UK . post your job and authorised tradesman will quote the price and you can see their ratings provided by previous customers them choose the cheapest or best rated.

magnclean plus cleaners and a limescale filter is almost 180 alone

if you seriously expect gas engineers to work for 150 a day you are mistaken.
Banned
MR1123

Labour inc materials is £500-£700 tops (I paid £500 for a combi), and th … Labour inc materials is £500-£700 tops (I paid £500 for a combi), and then you choose the boiler e.g from b&q and pay whatever it costs. I would suggest you get a quote. Use myhammer.co.UK . post your job and authorised tradesman will quote the price and you can see their ratings provided by previous customers them choose the cheapest or best rated.

and a bnq combi for 500 quid won't last very long.
lukeybuilder

and a bnq combi for 500 quid won't last very long.

£500 was for the labour inc materials. I paid £1500 for a combi boiler. Boiler was fitted in a day so £500.

Edited by: "MR1123" 1st May 2015
Banned
MR1123

£500 was for the labour inc materials. I paid £1500 for a combi boiler. B … £500 was for the labour inc materials. I paid £1500 for a combi boiler. Boiler was fitted in a day so £500.

so a straight swap. hardly comparable to converting an open vented system.
lukeybuilder

so a straight swap. hardly comparable to converting an open vented system.

what is with this guy?
you have no clue on what your taking about, you assume everything just to make yourself look Right.
Banned
MR1123

what is with this guy?you have no clue on what your taking about, you … what is with this guy?you have no clue on what your taking about, you assume everything just to make yourself look Right.

see a straight swap is less work than a conversion from a gravity flow return system. there's no ripping out of tanks pumps 3 port valves for starters. ....

Hope I've broken it down so you can understand the difference.

What you paid for a straight swap is irrelevant. The op is having to have the conversion done like myself.
Original Poster
thanks for all the replies - has raised my understanding a bit.

supports my original plan of getting a few local tradesmen to quote and also to not get flogged a boiler that I don't need.

thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions