Groups

Banana Theft Trial Costs Taxpayer £20,000 Ridiculous

A man has been found not guilty of stealing a banana after a crown court trial costing £20,000. Skip related content
    Related photos / videos Banana Theft Trial Costs Taxpayer £20,000 Enlarge photo The Crown Prosecution Service has defended its decision to proceed with the case despite the cost to the taxpayer.

The district crown prosecutor for Birmingham said the case of James Gallagher had only been heard at the city's Crown Court because the defendant had elected trial by jury.

Mr Gallagher was found not guilty earlier this week of burglary and the theft of the piece of fruit, worth 25p, from Birmingham's Bullring shopping centre.

Speaking after the verdicts, Mr Gallagher, of Linwood Road, Handsworth, Birmingham, said he was relieved he had chosen a Crown Court trial.

He said he believed that magistrates would have found him guilty.

The 23-year-old told the Wolverhampton Express and Star: "It's shocking, it's just a waste of taxpayers' money."

It had been alleged that Mr Gallagher entered an Italian restaurant before it opened and stole the banana.

In a statement, the district crown prosecutor for Birmingham, Martin Lindop, said: "We recommended this matter was suitable to be dealt with in the magistrates' court.

"However, Mr James Gallagher elected trial by jury, as is his right, so the case was heard in the Crown Court.

"It is not the cost of the item that determines whether we proceed with a prosecution, but whether there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest.

"In this case, we felt that there was sufficient evidence and it was in the public interest for the prosecution to proceed."

100 Comments

Original Poster

couldnt believe this but its true makes my blood boil how they can waste such money at this current economic downscale.

"It is not the cost of the item that determines whether we proceed with a prosecution, but whether there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest.

"In this case, we felt that there was sufficient evidence and it was in the public interest for the prosecution to proceed."

Banned

sarbjeet_;5964439

couldnt believe this but its true makes my blood boil how they can waste … couldnt believe this but its true makes my blood boil how they can waste such money at this current economic downscale.

Why?

The guy was accused of a crime and had the right to have his trial by a jury of his peers.

It's the price we pay for being a country who respects the rule of law.

http://www.jedisparadise.co.uk/childrenstv/Bananaman/Bananaman006.jpg

http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/03/BMREAL!.jpg

FilthAndFurry;5964451

Why?The guy was accused of a crime and had the right to have his trial by … Why?The guy was accused of a crime and had the right to have his trial by a jury of his peers.It's the price we pay for being a country who respects the rule of law.

it could have been handled at a Police level though, caution etc

Alfonse;5964499

it could have been handled at a Police level though, caution etc

A caution for what, something he didn't do ?

stora;5964549

A caution for what, something he didn't do ?

don't get me wrong, just it could have been dealt with at a Police level, ie a caution I;'m not presuming guilt just a what penalty could've been given if he was, or let the accusation go rather than the courts route.

get me?

Alfonse;5964569

don't get me wrong, just it could have been dealt with at a Police level, … don't get me wrong, just it could have been dealt with at a Police level, ie a caution I;'m not presuming guilt just a what penalty could've been given if he was, or let the accusation go rather than the courts route.get me?

Yes I see what your saying but isn't it up to the courts to decide who are guilty ones not the police ?

stora;5964626

Yes I see what your saying but isn't it up to the courts to decide who … Yes I see what your saying but isn't it up to the courts to decide who are guilty ones not the police ?

I am under the impression they have some degree of authority otherwise they couldn't hand out on the spot fines and such.

sarbjeet_;5964439

couldnt believe this but its true makes my blood boil how they can waste … couldnt believe this but its true makes my blood boil how they can waste such money at this current economic downscale.

20k may seem a lot to me or you but to the government 20k is literally nothing, the UK economy generates £1445 billion per year (1.45 trillion) tht 20k makes no difference to anything the government does

a caution is only appropriate if someone admits they are guilty - this guy didn't, therefore he can elect trial.

that's the system - some say it sucks, other's don't.

Alfonse;5964569

don't get me wrong, just it could have been dealt with at a Police level, … don't get me wrong, just it could have been dealt with at a Police level, ie a caution I;'m not presuming guilt just a what penalty could've been given if he was, or let the accusation go rather than the courts route.get me?

Not really relevant since I do believe you have to admit guilt to receive a caution, clearly this guy did not want to.

sarbjeet_;5964439

You think that money just disappears then?

Everyone is entitled to a fair trial so what's the problem here?

It's a bigger waste of money spending millions on the big trials for the judge only to give a short sentence at the end.

stora;5964443

"It is not the cost of the item that determines whether we proceed with a … "It is not the cost of the item that determines whether we proceed with a prosecution, but whether there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest."In this case, we felt that there was sufficient evidence and it was in the public interest for the prosecution to proceed."

I'm sure there is also the fact that the criminal prosection service should consider whether it is in the interests of the general public as to whether they proceed with a case...

£20k for a banana? Common sense says that's not in the tax payers best interests.

around 26 million ppl in the uk pay income tax (i think) so lets take tht 20k and divide it by 26 mil, and see how much it cost you

roughly 0.0007 pence i think :thumbsup:

so what u complaining about??

but then again i dont pay tax so i wouldnt know lol

micoo;5964746

around 26 million ppl in the uk pay income tax (i think) so lets take tht … around 26 million ppl in the uk pay income tax (i think) so lets take tht 20k and divide it by 26 mil, and see how much it cost youroughly 0.0007 pence i think :thumbsup:so what u complaining about??but then again i dont pay tax so i wouldnt know lol

Everybody pays tax in some form or other.

micoo;5964746

around 26 million ppl in the uk pay income tax (i think) so lets take tht … around 26 million ppl in the uk pay income tax (i think) so lets take tht 20k and divide it by 26 mil, and see how much it cost youroughly 0.0007 pence i think :thumbsup:so what u complaining about??but then again i dont pay tax so i wouldnt know lol

I pay tax and I care what the CPS wastes my hard earned money on.

pghstochaj;5964754

Everybody pays tax in some form or other.

im a student living at home what tax do i pay :?

ClarityofMind;5964763

I pay tax and I care what the CPS wastes my hard earned money on.

u go demand tht .0007 pence back then :lol:

how are you??

micoo;5964773

u go demand tht .0007 pence back then :lol:how are you??

You speak to a CPS prosecutor and they're so blimming arrogant too I tell ya.

I'm having one of those days babe.. I think Im gonna get well sozzled lol

micoo;5964764

VAT

ClarityofMind;5964720

I'm sure there is also the fact that the criminal prosection service … I'm sure there is also the fact that the criminal prosection service should consider whether it is in the interests of the general public as to whether they proceed with a case...£20k for a banana? Common sense says that's not in the tax payers best interests.

With all due respect, where then do you draw the line? £20k for an alleged theft is too much, is £200k for an alleged rape too much or should it be higher? The CPS considers each case on its own merits and I for one am glad that it is no longer the police that do so.

micoo;5964764

I presume someone feeds you and clothes you and you use fuel.. go in a car at times? Use heating in the wintertime, buy games and other entertainment, see a doctor, have schooling, you flush the toilet, have running water, go on holidays...

you or someone who cares for you, pays tax x x x

micoo;5964764

At the absolute minimum, VAT, but more likely on numerous other things you just haven't noticed. Students still pay tax, presumably however you do not work.

ClarityofMind;5964809

I presume someone feeds you and clothes you and you use fuel.. go in a … I presume someone feeds you and clothes you and you use fuel.. go in a car at times? Use heating in the wintertime, buy games and other entertainment, see a doctor, have schooling, you flush the toilet, have running water, go on holidays... you or someone who cares for you, pays tax x x x

yes but im not the one paying tht :lol: i love it even if i did im happy to spend .0007 pence making sure some bloke gets a fair trial

besides as i said earlier and everyone apparently missed the uk economy generates £1.455 trillion a year so 20k is nothing at all :thumbsup:

micoo;5964823

yes but im not the one paying tht :lol: i love it even if i did im happy … yes but im not the one paying tht :lol: i love it even if i did im happy to spend .0007 pence making sure some bloke gets a fair trialbesides as i said earlier and everyone apparently missed the uk economy generates £1.455 trillion a year so 20k is nothing at all :thumbsup:

That is a non-arguement, clearly if £20k was wasted day in day out, there would be no money left. £20k is £20k, regardless of what large pot it comes from.

pghstochaj;5964814

At the absolute minimum, VAT, but more likely on numerous other things … At the absolute minimum, VAT, but more likely on numerous other things you just haven't noticed. Students still pay tax, presumably however you do not work.

no i dont work nothing officaila anyway :whistling:

i know about tax im a finance student ecomnomics is my bets subject and i a m struggling to think of a tax tht i actually pay myself apart from VAT

pghstochaj;5964803

With all due respect, where then do you draw the line? £20k for an … With all due respect, where then do you draw the line? £20k for an alleged theft is too much, is £200k for an alleged rape too much or should it be higher? The CPS considers each case on its own merits and I for one am glad that it is no longer the police that do so.

I know what you're saying hon.

Of course 20k is nothing in terms of a suspected/alleged rape. A person's physical being is priceless.

A banana is all of 20p?

And yes I understand that the banana may be symbolic of a perons livelihood... but a principle is not an absolute. I dont believe they can justify costs of TWENTY THOUSAND POUNDS for the theft of a banana especially when there are so many other ways this suspected theft could have been dealt with.

The police may have simply given this man a caution for this, the financial cost to the general public minimal. Let the punishment reflect the crime.

pghstochaj;5964825

That is a non-arguement, clearly if £20k was wasted day in day out, there … That is a non-arguement, clearly if £20k was wasted day in day out, there would be no money left. £20k is £20k, regardless of what large pot it comes from.

but the government doesnt magically make tht money appear at the start of the year lol its made every day via income and expenditure so they are spending huge amounts, a lot more than 20k a day, and making tht money

Banned

pghstochaj;5964803

With all due respect, where then do you draw the line? £20k for an … With all due respect, where then do you draw the line? £20k for an alleged theft is too much, is £200k for an alleged rape too much or should it be higher? The CPS considers each case on its own merits and I for one am glad that it is no longer the police that do so.

no the cps decide which cases they can get a result on.. The criminal protection society would be a better title for an organisation who have made some appalling decisions on who to prosecute and who not too ... :roll:

micoo;5964828

no i dont work nothing officaila anyway :whistling:i know about tax im … no i dont work nothing officaila anyway :whistling:i know about tax im a finance student ecomnomics is my bets subject and i a m struggling to think of a tax tht i actually pay myself apart from VAT

Have you never had insurance on anything, never been on holiday? Regardless, VAT is sufficient to prove to you that you do pay tax.

micoo;5964828

no i dont work nothing officaila anyway :whistling:i know about tax im … no i dont work nothing officaila anyway :whistling:i know about tax im a finance student ecomnomics is my bets subject and i a m struggling to think of a tax tht i actually pay myself apart from VAT

lol,

then think more long term hon.. you WILL be paying x

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;5964451

Why?The guy was accused of a crime and had the right to have his trial by … Why?The guy was accused of a crime and had the right to have his trial by a jury of his peers.It's the price we pay for being a country who respects the rule of law.

over a 25p banana come on now.

micoo;5964828

TV license.........

(if owned) car road tax, fuel tax.

air travel tax if you go on a flight

alcohol and tobacco

taxes levied on insurance

i can go on........

ClarityofMind;5964831

I know what you're saying hon.Of course 20k is nothing in terms of a … I know what you're saying hon.Of course 20k is nothing in terms of a suspected/alleged rape. A person's physical being is priceless. A banana is all of 20p?And yes I understand that the banana may be symbolic of a perons livelihood... but a principle is not an absolute. I dont believe they can justify costs of TWENTY THOUSAND POUNDS for the theft of a banana especially when there are so many other ways this suspected theft could have been dealt with. The police may have simply given this man a caution for this, the financial cost to the general public minimal. Let the punishment reflect the crime.

Again, how in the world could they have given a caution without the admission of guilt from the alleged thief? I would imagine that £20k is approximately the minimum cost of a jury trial, and since we have a legal system which allows a fair trial in that way, I don't see how it can be a bad thing even if it seems "bananas"....

pghstochaj;5964841

Have you never had insurance on anything, never been on holiday? … Have you never had insurance on anything, never been on holiday? Regardless, VAT is sufficient to prove to you that you do pay tax.

i ahve paid for holidays insuranc etc in the past and yes i obviously paid tax on them but right now the only tax i pay is VAT as i am not paying for anything atm other than the stuff i go to the town and buy

Alfonse;5964858

TV license.........(if owned) car road tax, fuel tax.air travel tax if … TV license.........(if owned) car road tax, fuel tax.air travel tax if you go on a flightalcohol and tobacco

parents pay for tv liscence, dont drive, not flying anywhere anytime soon, dont smoke, i do drink but im not atm so as i said i am not paying any tax atm

pghstochaj;5964859

Again, how in the world could they have given a caution without the … Again, how in the world could they have given a caution without the admission of guilt from the alleged thief? I would imagine that £20k is approximately the minimum cost of a jury trial, and since we have a legal system which allows a fair trial in that way, I don't see how it can be a bad thing even if it seems "bananas"....

common sense and proportionality should prevail, the law is not as robotic as you seem to think
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.1831
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?25104
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …1216
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764453

See more discussions