Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Piggyback Phone Networks such as Plusnet, Smarty, VOXI etc Vs Genuine Networks 4G & 3G Speeds?

Posted 20th SepEdited by:"lettherebedeals"
Hi All, So this last 6 months I have been on 2 networks, Smarty (who piggybacks off the 3 network) and just a week ago signed up to Plusnet (who piggybacks off the EE network) I was extremely disappointed with Smarty (worst network I have ever experienced) and in all honesty even though Plusnet is much better, its still not brilliant for 4G, I'm experiencing signal drop-outs etc to, so my question is, because all these 3rd party networks piggyback off other major networks such as EE, Vodafone, Three & O2, is is true that if you sign up to a genuine network you have priority speeds over these piggyback networks, for example: If I choose to invest a an genuine EE sim-only deal, would I get far better speeds than I am with Plusnet? I know investing in a deal on the actual networks is more expensive, but it does seem over the last few years that speeds are getting slower and slower for all these piggyback networks, and the actual networks EE, Three & Vodafone, O2 etc are giving much more priority to signal quality and internet speeds to their customers.

Have you found that these piggyback networks are getting slower & slower, in comparison to signing up directly, is it worth going direct for speed, reliability and other perks?
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
I haven't seen a clear yes/no answer here but I believe the main network sims get priority... I normally only stick to the main 4 as they also offer exclusive additional features like wifi calling or visual voicemail.

But is hard to tell unless you try different sims - maybe you can try sims and see which network has good signal in your areas and take it from there... sounds like a bit of a mess but I tried EE, o2 and Vodafone through last summer before I decided to stay with EE...
Edited by: "x-man" 20th Sep
x-man20/09/2019 10:55

I haven't seen a clear yes/no answer here but I believe the main network …I haven't seen a clear yes/no answer here but I believe the main network sims get priority... I normally only stick to the main 4 as they also offer exclusive additional features like wifi calling or visual voicemail. But is hard to tell unless you try different sims - maybe you can try sims and see which network has good signal in your areas and take it from there... sounds like a bit of a mess but I tried EE, o2 and Vodafone through last summer before I decided to stay with EE...

EE does seem to be the BEST main network which is why I thought I would try Plusnet, but its not as great as I was expecting, I must admit though these piggyback networks over the last few years are getting slower & slower, I was with Virgin for a year on Sim-Only and over the year it just kept getting slower until I couldn't take anymore, so obviously main network customers are getting more priority, these piggyback networks are so much cheaper though, but when I was with smarty recently honestly the speed and drop-outs just did my head in especially when I needed 3G or 4G, personally I think all these networks are just clogged up to the brim nowadays.
lots of varibles that make it difficult to answer for most networks, o2 and Giffgaff is the one where its clear that you wont get the speeds and even GG MD admits that. Others the speeds may not be a great for most you probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference but take Virgin we get up to 40Mbps and in Manchester had nearly 100, plusnet in our area ran when we had it was up to 30.

Three in our area even on Three were a mess, couldnt get a signal in a major city, but friends recently moved to them and they get great speeds now since Three invested.

As said to many varibles and always worth doing a check to see if you get what you want where you live and work.
Plusnet lack the 800mhz band so they are not going to give the same signal as EE. However, BT Mobile has all the bands and WiFi Calling included. If you are looking for an EE MVNO and have BT broadband, it is worth going for them. Bear in mind that both EE and Plusnet are subsidiaries of BT, but the latter is their more budget offering.

I don't think Three prioritise their own networks over MVNOs, they own Smarty and Superdrug Mobile anyway. EE definitely has the best signal though.

Voxi doesn't appear to give lower priority to data, I have it as my second SIM and speeds are decent, same with BT which is my primary.
Edited by: "jamie15" 20th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants