Groups

bank account for an old man

ok odd request. my dad (72) has been with halifax for years, but is starting to feel like because of his age, they dont want him as a customer anymore. he HATES the idea of using cash points and point blank refuses to learn how, despite me trying to teach him. he doesnt pay for anything on his card directly. he goes and withdraws the cash or has me do it online for him. reasons being that he has both dyslexia and rather bad arthritis in his hands, coupled with vibration white finger effect from his job. meaning that he could easily drop his card, and hes terrified on attempting to use a cash point, putting the wrong numbers in, it swallowing his card or locking his pin. so he had them remove the pin from his account. now when he goes into halifax, they always try to get him to use a cash point as they only ever seem to have one member of staff on the windows in his local branch.
    mostly now if he wants cash, i transfer it via the site to my account, go to the cash point for him.

what he wants is to have a current account that he can go into the bank, go up to the windows, give them his card and say he wants X amount, have a pleasant conversation and leave.

i started doing a switch to first direct online for him, as they verified that he could do what he needed at an hsbc bank, aslong as he has other ID with him. he also wants it to be a joint account with me, as in his own words "when i die, you'll need access to my money to pay all the bills". i agreed and carried on with the switch, however, first direct have sent us letters asking for ID for both our addresses such as council tax bills, utility etc. not a problem...except they want them certified and their list of people they will accept as certifiers is ridiculous. from the list, i lterally have 1 person i could ask, which would be my dentist and as i've only just started going to this practice, he's only met me once! same for him. we dont know any notararies, justice of the peace, members of parliament, nurses, opticians (ive never seen the same one twice!) etc.

so does anyone know which bank will allow him to open an account (theres about £22000 in his halifax acc) and just let him go to the window, say hello, can i have this much money please, without telling him to go use a cash point?
    or am i gonna have to try to convince him that banking has changed and he NEEDS to learn this stuff.

hes very stubborn and set in his ways, hates technology. its driving me bonkers, honestly.

any help is appreciated.

30 Comments

Does he have a Post Office nearby? Our local PO lets you 'bank' over their counter if you have an account at nearly any of the main banks. You can pay in, withdraw cash and our Post Master is an absolute dear with the older folk. Perhaps have a look at his local one and see what services they offer in conjunction with the High Street banks.

Best thing would be for the two of you to visit his local banks and speak to the customer services and explain the situation, pick the one that suits your Dad the best.

Original Poster

yeah i had considered that eventuality!
    was hoping to avoid a day of bank shopping!

Have you tried Nationwide?

Original Poster

supertramp7

Have you tried Nationwide?

no, we didnt cos theres not one in his home town. nearest one is close to 10 miles away

windym

Does he have a Post Office nearby? Our local PO lets you 'bank' over … Does he have a Post Office nearby? Our local PO lets you 'bank' over their counter if you have an account at nearly any of the main banks. You can pay in, withdraw cash and our Post Master is an absolute dear with the older folk. Perhaps have a look at his local one and see what services they offer in conjunction with the High Street banks.

​This seems like a good idea, have you considered the post office?

I was going to suggest the post office too because branches are closing at a rate of knots and it sounds like your dad needs good old fashioned branch banking

Original Poster

hobofighter

[quote=windym] Does he have a Post Office nearby? Our local PO lets you … [quote=windym] Does he have a Post Office nearby? Our local PO lets you 'bank' over their counter if you have an account at nearly any of the main banks. You can pay in, withdraw cash and our Post Master is an absolute dear with the older folk. Perhaps have a look at his local one and see what services they offer in conjunction with the High Street banks.

thanks for this, there is a post office on the next estate along to him and theres one at the end of my street too.
    i'll pop in next time i'm on a day off.

Edited by: "slackrat77" 19th Nov 2016

slackrat77

yeah i had considered that eventuality!was hoping to avoid a day of bank … yeah i had considered that eventuality!was hoping to avoid a day of bank shopping!

​my mum has an account with the Halifax but has a bank book, she's older than your dad,
    she can just about manage the TV remote.

Original Poster

shadey12

​my mum has an account with the Halifax but has a bank book, she's older t … ​my mum has an account with the Halifax but has a bank book, she's older than your dad,she can just about manage the TV remote.

yeah he's the same! he used to have a bank book years ago when he had a liquid gold account that his work pension was paid into. as far as i knew it was just a savings account and didnt do direct debits and such. i'll have to ask him tomorrow. either way, every time he goes into the halifax in town, he basically has to explain himself as to why he's at the counter asking for money and not using the cash points inside or out.
    i think hes just sick of their attitude at that branch too.

slackrat77

yeah he's the same! he used to have a bank book years ago when he had a … yeah he's the same! he used to have a bank book years ago when he had a liquid gold account that his work pension was paid into. as far as i knew it was just a savings account and didnt do direct debits and such. i'll have to ask him tomorrow. either way, every time he goes into the halifax in town, he basically has to explain himself as to why he's at the counter asking for money and not using the cash points inside or out.i think hes just sick of their attitude at that branch too.

​my mum has one with card and one with a book, I just have to tell how much to pay into the card one every few months for her DDs.
    she just takes the card and money.
    when she wants money out she uses the book.
    she won't have a clue what her pin no is.

My grandad used to have a Halifax Liquid gold account, He used a book to update his bank balanced and went to the counter and withdrew money using his book. Simple for old folks.

MrMan2011

My grandad used to have a Halifax Liquid gold account, He used a book to … My grandad used to have a Halifax Liquid gold account, He used a book to update his bank balanced and went to the counter and withdrew money using his book. Simple for old folks.

​i don't think you can have dds from a account with a book,
    I may be wrong but I think that's why my mum ended up with 2 accounts, 1 book and 1 cashcard.

I have banked with Abbey/Santander for years and they have a counter service at my local branch and nice staff.

I wonder if this more of "what your local branch is like" rather then the brand?

groenleader

I have banked with Abbey/Santander for years and they have a counter … I have banked with Abbey/Santander for years and they have a counter service at my local branch and nice staff. I wonder if this more of "what your local branch is like" rather then the brand?

I think its the brand as my local Halifax is a pain aswell.
    They no longer allow customers to pay money into someones account over the counter, you either have to get their card and use the ATM or if you have their bank details on a sheet of paper you have to fill in an envelope and use the drop box. Not much use if someone you know is in a pickle and needs money asap.

They no longer update bank books unless you are the customer.

Halifax is now more about products then traditional banking

OP best advice is to go the banks yourself and have a quick look around and speak to ppl.
    Building societies are better in terms of services for non tech users.
    Edited by: "NuffinisFree" 19th Nov 2016

you should look up local credit unions. they do community banking.

Get a joint account as you intend to then he just asks you for any money he requires , ln effect you become his bank

slackrat77

yeah he's the same! he used to have a bank book years ago when he had a … yeah he's the same! he used to have a bank book years ago when he had a liquid gold account that his work pension was paid into. as far as i knew it was just a savings account and didnt do direct debits and such. i'll have to ask him tomorrow. either way, every time he goes into the halifax in town, he basically has to explain himself as to why he's at the counter asking for money and not using the cash points inside or out.i think hes just sick of their attitude at that branch too.

Just to +1 the Post Office advice
    here's a link to their banking options to save you travel time (hopefully)
    postoffice.co.uk/ban…ing
    I have a savings account with card only (not debit card) but unfortunately you still need to enter card into the slot and enter pin number at the counter - hopefully for people like your father there'll be other additional options with the Post Office
    Hope he get's it sorted - shame a national bank is giving "that impression" but wonder if a simple phone call to head office would resolve the concerns as there must be hundreds, if not thousands, of similar people with similar circumstances.

my mother who is 86 and very fit for her age is also with the Halifax they have been great with her , when my dad passed away she had to learn to pay all the bills use the cash machines and also pay by card , they looked after her very well gave her as much time as she needed and explained everything to her I cannot fault them at all in fact when she walks in they all say hello to her and ask how things are going,

it seems the Halifax staffs are unprofessional in your branch. you do not have to wait until your day off, call to their customer service, speak to a manager and explain your situation. also, you can write an email to their director. customer service about the whole issue. there should be an way to serve customers like your dad as there are thousands of elderly people out there.

you also can check TSB as they have some account options for people from all background like low credit score, elderly people etc.

If the post office banking falls through, its worth knowing that they can certify copies of documents for you as well for a small fee. Had the same problem as you but they sorted me out and it worked out fine!

You don't need a joint account but power of attorney. Do it now as it will be difficult if his mental health declines. It's just a way of monitoring finances and stepping in quickly if he has been fleeced by the various con methods aimed at the elderly.

slackrat77

thanks for this, there is a post office on the next estate along to him … thanks for this, there is a post office on the next estate along to him and theres one at the end of my street too.i'll pop in next time i'm on a day off.

or just get an account that is linked to the post office (e.g HSBC, co-op, smile). Can then go into any HSBC branch or post office.

kester76

You don't need a joint account but power of attorney. Do it now as it … You don't need a joint account but power of attorney. Do it now as it will be difficult if his mental health declines. It's just a way of monitoring finances and stepping in quickly if he has been fleeced by the various con methods aimed at the elderly.

i was advised by my mums solicitor to get my name on her bank rather than have power of attorney as that only is enforceable until some think happens but if you are on joint account with them then when something happens it makes life a lot easier also if she is with the Halifax she can add his name on her account and help him that way that's what I do with my mums account I pay all her bills insurances ect she has no worries now

notes can be placed on your dad's bank account if you go in (with him) to speak to him. you can still take cash over the counter regardless. bank cut backs are forcing them to suggest this as an option.

I'm regularly in the post office and see a number of pensioners taking cash out, however it is a pin code based system. but there's always a person there which makes it better than the cash line. good luck.

mercslkman

i was advised by my mums solicitor to get my name on her bank rather than … i was advised by my mums solicitor to get my name on her bank rather than have power of attorney as that only is enforceable until some think happens but if you are on joint account with them then when something happens it makes life a lot easier also if she is with the Halifax she can add his name on her account and help him that way that's what I do with my mums account I pay all her bills insurances ect she has no worries now

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I assumed it meant you were able to deal with both financial and official issues, will have to look into this a bit deeper

postoffice.co.uk/doc…ice
    £10.50 fee tho.

Certifying documents only require the person to have seen the original and the photocopy. (This person does not have to know you!). this is normally easier than the countersigning (like passport applications).

Have you tried the bank?. Take the original and the copy to the branch with you and ask to see the branch manager, ask him/her to certify the copies as your dad is old and has problems with this.

just add yourself to his old account and withdraw the money for him. with a card why are u going through so much hassle or just keep say few hundred pounds at home and keep topping it up when he needs it I just take the card and get the money out for elderly members of my family it's not against the law to use someone else's card to withdraw money if u have their permission.

Original Poster

hes determined to leave halifax, we have both put in complaints about the way he's been treat in branch.
    they have sent him letters apologising saying that with budget cuts this is the way their branch is run now, with minimal staff, they did apologise for the attitude of 1 individual who was very rude to him.

i think for now i'll just keep moving money from his to my account via transfer and taking the money out of the cash points for him, but ultimately he wants to move his remaining retirement savings from his work lump sum payout to elsewhere.
    i'll have a morning where i go round the banks in his town centre on my own and explain his situation.

thanks for all the suggestions and help.
    i'll let you guys know what sort of outcome i get, i'll also visit halifax and tell them that he's going to close his account due to feeling discriminated against.
    ive been to their branch in the city i work in and found it no problem at all, but its over 10 miles from his house to that branch and parking is a nightmare even with his disabled badge.

I like counter transactions myself and noticed that the Halifax is very pushy about getting customers to use the counter less. Most banks are heading this way though, so they are not the only one. My brother has a barclays account, who seem less pushy about getting their customers to stop using the tills. Try them.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ask and Misc quieter since for sale has gone?710
      2. Three connection34
      3. Has anyone found any Baileys Pumpkin Spiced for sale in the UK ?22
      4. What's the name of that brand that looks like Playstation symbols?34

See more discussions