Bank card lost in post

Found 11th Apr
I need advice.... I've been without a bank card for nearly 4 weeks.
the card got declined at tills and atms.
Santander said it's because of the chip.
this has happened about 5 times previously in 13 months.
this time I've been sent out another new card that has been lost in the post and now they are processing a new one.
I've had to borrow off family until I get a working card!

am I liable to claim for the inconvenience and due to costs incurring to myself?
what do I do?

thanks in advance
Community Updates
AskBank
Top comments
dbzitb22 m ago

Dodgy cards is the banks fault. I don't use online banking. So bank to my …Dodgy cards is the banks fault. I don't use online banking. So bank to my question....

Funny how you’ve had 5 issues with chips. I’d look a little closer at you usage and storage habits if your card.
What costs have you incurred? You can easily register for online banking. Phone banking comes with every account and you can still walk into a branch.
In short no you should be eligible for nothing. As there are many solutions.
dbzitb27 m ago

Dodgy cards is the banks fault. I don't use online banking. So bank to my …Dodgy cards is the banks fault. I don't use online banking. So bank to my question....

No. The card was faulty, the bank have replaced it, the post office lost it (not your banks fault) and they are processing a new one. They are doing exactly what any reasonable person would expect of them. No you aren’t entitled to compensation, there are other methods to access your cash such as in branch withdrawal or by transferring money to another account via phone or internet banking. It’s not the banks fault you don’t want to do it this way, suggest you either learn or suck up the inconvenience which is of your own making!!!
Compo broken britain
22 Comments
Why didn't you just transfer some funds to a families account and get them to take the cash out for you?

Sadly chips fail from time to time. Also post gets lost. Not really the banks fault.
Dodgy cards is the banks fault.
I don't use online banking.

So bank to my question....
Get it sent to your branch, simples. People occasionally steal from the post, can't blame the bank.
Are you able to go into the bank as you will be able to draw out cash.
dbzitb20 m ago

Next you will be telling us you don't own a telephone!
"am I liable to claim for the inconvenience and due to costs incurring to myself?

Simple answer is No
dbzitb22 m ago

Funny how you’ve had 5 issues with chips. I’d look a little closer at you usage and storage habits if your card.
What costs have you incurred? You can easily register for online banking. Phone banking comes with every account and you can still walk into a branch.
In short no you should be eligible for nothing. As there are many solutions.
dbzitb27 m ago

No. The card was faulty, the bank have replaced it, the post office lost it (not your banks fault) and they are processing a new one. They are doing exactly what any reasonable person would expect of them. No you aren’t entitled to compensation, there are other methods to access your cash such as in branch withdrawal or by transferring money to another account via phone or internet banking. It’s not the banks fault you don’t want to do it this way, suggest you either learn or suck up the inconvenience which is of your own making!!!
I did comment but the mods removed it so cba
No
Compo broken britain
as others have said, you can not ask for compensation. it is inconvenient that you did not have a working card but you could go in branch to withdraw cash if the card did not work.
This is silly. You don't need to borrow anything. Just go to your local branch with your passport and ask to withdraw some money. There are instances under which you can argue for compensation from your bank (personally, I recently got £60 out of Santander after an issue they caused and failed repeatedly to correct), but you're going to struggle on this one, since so many of the failings (5 cards in 13 months? Seriously dude, that's worse than me) are on your own part.
Edited by: "dxx" 11th Apr
Just a thought but is it the card itself? If you are using it for contactless transactions, it will refer after about thirty. As for the rest of the question, no. Santander still have things called branches where you can withdraw money. That's how banking used to work. Unless you are five hundred miles from a branch, no banana.
GAVINLEWISHUKD15 h, 58 m ago

Next you will be telling us you don't own a telephone!

It’s actually true that people don’t like to use either, though normally it’s people who are older (no offence intended whatsoever).

My grandfather doesn’t really understand it’s not a brilliant idea to keep a lot of cash loose, let alone accept that online banking is much easier (and safer) than going into the bank a lot and getting statements printed off and reading them and counting his money where everyone is.

My grandmother on the other hand is quite used to all the “new” stuff like contactless and internet banking.
dbzitb19 h, 20 m ago

'Q1/ am I liable to claim for the inconvenience and due to costs incurring to myself?
Q2/ what do I do?
'

A1/ You could claim if you like, but I'd be surprised if your bank entertained any claim, what costs were incurred? You could have went into a branch and withdrew money at any time without a card.

A2/ As above, go into your local branch and withdraw money until your new card arrives...?

Going forward, I'd look at what way you store your card, do you have other cards? are they affected? Do you store them all together?

You can save your card to your mobile phone using Google Pay or Apple Pay, this means you can purchase items without your card.
GAVINLEWISHUKD21 h, 34 m ago

Why didn't you just transfer some funds to a families account and get them …Why didn't you just transfer some funds to a families account and get them to take the cash out for you?Sadly chips fail from time to time. Also post gets lost. Not really the banks fault.

It's not always as simple as that, let me tell you a story......

Last year my replacement card from Nat West never arrived and I only realised when I couldn't pay my credit card as my old card had expired, caught it in time and changed my CC DD to pay the full balance each month. Contacted the bank, was told they hadn't reissued the card as I don't use it. Er ok, my wages get put into that account and I pay my CC with it and use it online etc so how amI supposed to get to my money?.... Oh ok, we'll send you another one. Never arrived. After 10 months I visited my local branch (long story short, accident at work, housebound and drugged up on morphine..) and asked where the card was... They hadn't even ordered it and they HAD sent a replacement originally that must have got lost in the post, well it was sent in december etc.

Guess what you need at Nat West to transfer funds online to another account? Yep, a VALID card for their stupid crypto verification device. You can't set up payments without one. They wouldn't even let me do anything with the account in the branch without a valid card as they have to verify it in their machine

On the plus side though , the nat west online banking app lets you play watchdogs for real and get cash out of the machine using your phone
Mechtup6 h, 57 m ago

It’s actually true that people don’t like to use either, though normally it …It’s actually true that people don’t like to use either, though normally it’s people who are older (no offence intended whatsoever).My grandfather doesn’t really understand it’s not a brilliant idea to keep a lot of cash loose, let alone accept that online banking is much easier (and safer) than going into the bank a lot and getting statements printed off and reading them and counting his money where everyone is.My grandmother on the other hand is quite used to all the “new” stuff like contactless and internet banking.

Couldn't agree more I have a huge thing about telephones(and self service tills)
and know people who far more 'with it' who do as well
but am fine with computers and the 'smart' bit of my phone

As to the OP's question have some sympathy had something similar with lloyds a couple of years ago took several trips to the branch to sort out turned out it was hackers trying it on

compo no.
Shengis2 h, 59 m ago

It's not always as simple as that, let me tell you a story...... Last year …It's not always as simple as that, let me tell you a story...... Last year my replacement card from Nat West never arrived and I only realised when I couldn't pay my credit card as my old card had expired, caught it in time and changed my CC DD to pay the full balance each month. Contacted the bank, was told they hadn't reissued the card as I don't use it. Er ok, my wages get put into that account and I pay my CC with it and use it online etc so how amI supposed to get to my money?.... Oh ok, we'll send you another one. Never arrived. After 10 months I visited my local branch (long story short, accident at work, housebound and drugged up on morphine..) and asked where the card was... They hadn't even ordered it and they HAD sent a replacement originally that must have got lost in the post, well it was sent in december etc.Guess what you need at Nat West to transfer funds online to another account? Yep, a VALID card for their stupid crypto verification device. You can't set up payments without one. They wouldn't even let me do anything with the account in the branch without a valid card as they have to verify it in their machine On the plus side though , the nat west online banking app lets you play watchdogs for real and get cash out of the machine using your phone

Haha. Not everyone has a bank with stupid security arrangements. Santander is quite straight forward!
Thread backfire. Can't see the op returning

If there's one thing hukd is good for, it's the backlash at the self entitled 'members of society'
Edited by: "chocci" 12th Apr
cmdr_elito1 h, 51 m ago

Haha. Not everyone has a bank with stupid security arrangements. Santander …Haha. Not everyone has a bank with stupid security arrangements. Santander is quite straight forward!

BRB, hacking Santander accounts and transferring all the moneys
Shengis1 h, 52 m ago

BRB, hacking Santander accounts and transferring all the moneys BRB, hacking Santander accounts and transferring all the moneys

They have more than enough security in place, just Other banks like NatWest and HSBC are so over the top it takes a million years to access your money.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions