Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Bank card to use in spain

Posted 13th Jul 2020
Can anyone please recommend a bank card to use in spain?

Dont really want to take euros.
thank you
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
I find the wife’s works best......!
Santander don’t charge for withdrawals in Spain
Monzo or Revolt. Not too surew what Starling bank is like these days too
Monzo.. don’t use Metro Bank ^ they have history of failing to work abroad. Coming from someone who has worked for them. / monzo gives u instant notifs when u use the card for transactions.
Nationwide both their credit card and debit card are free to use abroad
Thanks everyone - went for a monzo and starling one.
If you want a prepaid debit card that you top up like a pay as you go phone then I recommend Caxton, I also have a Halifax Clarity credit card as a back up for larger purchases and cash withdrawals, both cards charge nothing for foreign transactions.
PaulandPam13/07/2020 08:38

If you want a prepaid debit card that you top up like a pay as you go …If you want a prepaid debit card that you top up like a pay as you go phone then I recommend Caxton, I also have a Halifax Clarity credit card as a back up for larger purchases and cash withdrawals, both cards charge nothing for foreign transactions.

You should mention that clarity does have a charge on cash withdrawals, there is a small interest fee, it used to be around 1.7%, on overseas atm cash withdrawals.
Monzo for so many positive reasons, even back in the UK.
endofdays13/07/2020 10:06

You should mention that clarity does have a charge on cash withdrawals, …You should mention that clarity does have a charge on cash withdrawals, there is a small interest fee, it used to be around 1.7%, on overseas atm cash withdrawals.

Halifax Clarity does not charge for ATM cash withdrawals abroad but just like in this country some cash machines make a charge themselves and as it's a credit card yes there will be interest fees but unlike most credit cards it's from day one not the end of the month.
I just transfer money from my bank account into the Clarity account the next day and pay virtually zero interest.

halifax.co.uk/cre…el/
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 13th Jul
PaulandPam13/07/2020 11:57

Halifax Clarity does not charge for ATM cash withdrawals abroad but just …Halifax Clarity does not charge for ATM cash withdrawals abroad but just like in this country some cash machines make a charge themselves and as it's a credit card yes there will be interest fees but unlike most credit cards it's from day one not the end of the month.I just transfer money from my bank account into the Clarity account the next day and pay virtually zero interest.https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/travel/

So you've just agreed with what I said? Thanks. A fee that you incur when taking money out of an overseas atm. You initially said there were no fees.

I've been using this card for well over a decade and know all about it.
endofdays13/07/2020 12:11

So you've just agreed with what I said? Thanks. A fee that you incur when …So you've just agreed with what I said? Thanks. A fee that you incur when taking money out of an overseas atm. You initially said there were no fees. I've been using this card for well over a decade and know all about it.

No!! go to a proper ATM like the ones outside banks etc and it'll cost you nothing to withdraw cash with a Clarity card.

TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS.

A travel credit card (e.g. the Halifax Clarity Credit Card) can help you manage your spending when you’re abroad, so you don’t need to take extra currency or lots of cards with you. There’s one rate for everything you buy too, and no fees on any overseas spends.
Pay the card balance off the same day and it'll cost you nothing in interest.

How a travel credit card is useful

• No foreign transaction fees to worry about.
  • Worldwide fee-free cash withdrawals (some ATMs charge a usage fee. Interest will apply from the day cash is taken out).
  • Section 75 protection applies to overseas transactions too.
We used the royal mail prepay travel card. You load money on to it and then convert it to whatever currency you want.
Monzo card, without a doubt.. also virgin credit card don’t charge exchange fee on purchases...
PaulandPam13/07/2020 12:27

No!! go to a proper ATM like the ones outside banks etc and it'll cost you …No!! go to a proper ATM like the ones outside banks etc and it'll cost you nothing to withdraw cash with a Clarity card.TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS.A travel credit card (e.g. the Halifax Clarity Credit Card) can help you manage your spending when you’re abroad, so you don’t need to take extra currency or lots of cards with you. There’s one rate for everything you buy too, and no fees on any overseas spends.Pay the card balance off the same day and it'll cost you nothing in interest.How a travel credit card is usefulNo foreign transaction fees to worry about.Worldwide fee-free cash withdrawals (some ATMs charge a usage fee. Interest will apply from the day cash is taken out).Section 75 protection applies to overseas transactions too.

Wonder how other lenders differentiate between this "travel" credit card and other credit cards where typically UK ATM withdrawals by credit card would normally negatively impact on the cardholder's credit file?
PaulandPam13/07/2020 12:27

No!! go to a proper ATM like the ones outside banks etc and it'll cost you …No!! go to a proper ATM like the ones outside banks etc and it'll cost you nothing to withdraw cash with a Clarity card.TRAVEL CREDIT CARDS.A travel credit card (e.g. the Halifax Clarity Credit Card) can help you manage your spending when you’re abroad, so you don’t need to take extra currency or lots of cards with you. There’s one rate for everything you buy too, and no fees on any overseas spends.Pay the card balance off the same day and it'll cost you nothing in interest.How a travel credit card is usefulNo foreign transaction fees to worry about.Worldwide fee-free cash withdrawals (some ATMs charge a usage fee. Interest will apply from the day cash is taken out).Section 75 protection applies to overseas transactions too.

Utter rubbish!!

You said there were no fees. I mentioned that there is a charge incurred, which you then agreed with. The monthly interest that they charge is completely different to the interest incurred when you don't pay off your credit card at the end of the month. With Clarity, setting up a direct debit to pay off the monthly balance still incurs the interest.

Yes, you can use online banking to pay off the balance as you go, but that's a workaround and not the most convenient. I've done it before.

An atm outside a major bank, "proper" as you put it, doesn't mean that you won't get charged. Have you taken money out in Thailand or Nepal? I could name plenty more countries where you have to pay a local atm fee.
endofdays13/07/2020 13:22

Utter rubbish!! You said there were no fees. I mentioned that there is a …Utter rubbish!! You said there were no fees. I mentioned that there is a charge incurred, which you then agreed with. The monthly interest that they charge is completely different to the interest incurred when you don't pay off your credit card at the end of the month. With Clarity, setting up a direct debit to pay off the monthly balance still incurs the interest. Yes, you can use online banking to pay off the balance as you go, but that's a workaround and not the most convenient. I've done it before. An atm outside a major bank, "proper" as you put it, doesn't mean that you won't get charged. Have you taken money out in Thailand or Nepal? I could name plenty more countries where you have to pay a local atm fee.

Like I originally said in my first post 'both cards charge nothing for foreign transactions' if you choose to use an ATM that charges you then it's your choice but the charge is not made by the card issuer.
I've never paid a penny in charges using my Clarity card because I clear the balance the same day and and don't use chargeable cash machines the Caxton card is prepaid.

From your argument you may as well say in the UK we pay to withdraw money from ATM's because some do indeed charge you for the convenient location.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 13th Jul
PaulandPam13/07/2020 13:37

Like I originally said in my first post 'both cards charge nothing for …Like I originally said in my first post 'both cards charge nothing for foreign transactions' if you choose to use an ATM that charges you then it's your choice but the charge is not made by the card issuer.I've never paid a penny in charges using my Clarity card because I clear the balance the same day and and don't use chargeable cash machines the Caxton card is prepaid.From your argument you may as well say in the UK we pay to withdraw money from ATM's because some do indeed charge you for the convenient location.

There IS a fee that is charged. YOU get around that by going online and paying off the balance that day, that doesn't mean that there isn't a fee that is charged, just that you get around that by paying it off straight away. You didn't mention that in your first post - hence why I pulled you up.

You also haven't replied to my comment about your "proper atm" and none of them even incurring fees.

From your argument you may as well say in the UK we pay to withdraw money from ATM's because some do indeed charge you for the convenient location. Makes zero sense.

As for it being convenient to always pay off the balance there and then, I guess if your idea of going abroad is 2 weeks in Benidorm, then that's fine! If you're actually travelling, it's not always possible - not everyone is connected to the internet at all times!
Post a comment
@
    Text