Found 11th Sep 2009
hi my partners grandad gave us a cheque when we had our baby last week but he left the bit where you put your name blank for us to fill in, were with alliance and lester and we have to put the cheque in an envelope and post it, well ive got a feeling we forgot to write my partners name on it lol does anyone know what will happen, will they send the cheque back or just cancel it? thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
17 Comments

They will probably send the cheque back
I do not see how then can bamk it without a name
on and it's probably against regulations for them
to write on it.......

Mod & Ed

Ask your grandad to cancel the cheque with his bank and reissue it.

Oh and congratulations on the birth of your baby

Original Poster

i will get my partner to ring the bank when he gets up as the banks in his name, thanks for the helpful comments, im not 100% sure if we forgot but i thought it would of cleared by now.

pink-ka;6263853

i will get my partner to ring the bank when he gets up as the banks in … i will get my partner to ring the bank when he gets up as the banks in his name, thanks for the helpful comments, im not 100% sure if we forgot but i thought it would of cleared by now.

When did you post it? Posted cheques to A&L take longer to clear than other bank's cheques (I think about 5 working days). It's always better to hand the envelope in at the Post Office though, that way you get a receipt for it in case anything goes wrong (I had them lose one once, but as I had a receipt for it they credited my account with the correct amount :thumbsup:)

It will be returned to you

Original Poster

my partner did hand it in in post office in an envelope, i think it was tuesday morning he took it in, will ask him if he got a receipt.

pink-ka;6263940

my partner did hand it in in post office in an envelope, i think it was … my partner did hand it in in post office in an envelope, i think it was tuesday morning he took it in, will ask him if he got a receipt.

If it was Tuesday you handed it in, it wouldn't even show as uncleared in your account until most probably today (possibly yesterday), with it clearing Tuesday/Wednesday next week If they return it to you it won't be until the end of next week at the earliest.

Banned

dcx_badass;6264000

If it's not got your name how will they know who sent it, and it might … If it's not got your name how will they know who sent it, and it might bet stolen as anyone can cash it.

they would have had to put a slip in surely, you canna just send a cheque to a bank even with a name on

dcx_badass;6264000

If it's not got your name how will they know who sent it, and it might … If it's not got your name how will they know who sent it, and it might bet stolen as anyone can cash it.

The paying-in slip will have the acct holders details on it, and with A&L you have to write your account number onto the back of the cheque, so that they correspond :thumbsup:

Banned

midlandscomics;6263967

If it was Tuesday you handed it in, it wouldn't even show as uncleared in … If it was Tuesday you handed it in, it wouldn't even show as uncleared in your account until most probably today (possibly yesterday), with it clearing Tuesday/Wednesday next week If they return it to you it won't be until the end of next week at the earliest.

but surely most banks show it on the account as uncleared funds when they receive it. I suspect its on its way back to you.
dcx_badass;6264073

Could they not write cash and go swap it?

Most cheques have 'account payee only' on them so you cannot write CASH on it.

csiman;6264261

but surely most banks show it on the account as uncleared funds when they … but surely most banks show it on the account as uncleared funds when they receive it. I suspect its on its way back to you.

Yeah they do, but as the cheques have to be sent from the post office to A&L in Liverpool, they usually take a day or so longer If you pay one in directly at an A&L branch they do show a little bit sooner.

Banned

midlandscomics;6264278

Yeah they do, but as the cheques have to be sent from the post office to … Yeah they do, but as the cheques have to be sent from the post office to A&L in Liverpool, they usually take a day or so longer If you pay one in directly at an A&L branch they do show a little bit sooner.

yes but OP sent it off LAST tuesday (01/09).

I still cannot understand the definition of when you use NEXT or LAST when referring to dates.

E.g would tomorrow be NEXT saturday?

would yesterday be LAST thursday?

maybe a new thread lol

csiman;6264504

yes but OP sent it off LAST tuesday (01/09).I still cannot understand the … yes but OP sent it off LAST tuesday (01/09).I still cannot understand the definition of when you use NEXT or LAST when referring to dates.E.g would tomorrow be NEXT saturday?would yesterday be LAST thursday?maybe a new thread lol

Yeah I'd take LAST Tuesday as being the 1st September, but in this case I think they mean't Tuesday (as in 3 days ago).

I think :thinking:

and why's that then because facts get in the way - and after all if he handed it in tues why wait until friday to query it - and then as was said in a follow up post they would have to wait until the partner got up - so obviously they are not that bothered - real questions and queries great but common sense
(as a wise philosopher once said - monkey see monkey do)

Mod & Ed

bacardisteve;6264796

so what if they have had a baby didnt stop them getting on a computer … so what if they have had a baby didnt stop them getting on a computer logging onto thissite and typing all those words when surely it would have been quicker to pick up a telephoneoh i forgot them they wouldn't have been able to broadcast about their lives munchausen by internet for sure

Lets just hope you never need help or advice, but of course you won't cos you'll aways know exactly what to do in every situation. What are you doing reading threads that ask for it, is it just to feel superior to those that seek help? My diagnosis in that case would be self esteem issues.

Original Poster

bacardisteve;6264864

and why's that then because facts get in the way - and after all if he … and why's that then because facts get in the way - and after all if he handed it in tues why wait until friday to query it - and then as was said in a follow up post they would have to wait until the partner got up - so obviously they are not that bothered - real questions and queries great but common sense(as a wise philosopher once said - monkey see monkey do)

its not that ive waited till today to query it, i thought it would of cleared today and because it hadnt it then came to mind that his grandad hadnt put the payee name on which made me wonder if my partner had forgotton to write it on before he took it to the post office, and the reason i was waiting till my partner got up is because he was up with the baby in the night so i was letting him catch up on his sleep, so if you have nothing useful to say keep ur nose out and dont post in the thread you idiot.

Banned

dcx_badass;6264828

Last would be the one before so the most recent one it's been, I use this … Last would be the one before so the most recent one it's been, I use this as the one this week, and next as the one next week.

so tomorrow would be next saturday?

I was once told that if you said ""NEXT saturday" it meant the one coming up and "saturday next" meant the one after the one coming up. Seen so much confusion caused over the years when people say last / next.

I agree with you but then that means tomorrow is 'next saturday'
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322806
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427414631
    3. Monzo - weighing up how to pass on foreign ATM fees1224
    4. Misco about to go into administration11

See more discussions