Bank (current) account for child

13 replies
Found 3rd May 2009
Can anyone recommend a current account for an 11 yr old?

Doesn't matter too much about the rate of interest but would like to be able to have a cashcard for the ATM machine & also so we can put in a few quid a week for pocket money.

Any incentives would be good as well (ie open an account & receive a gift/£20 credit etc).

Thanks.

13 Comments

NatWest will let 11 year olds have a Maestro/Solo card so they can use ATMs and pay with the card in shops. A few other banks might though, as I recall when I was looking a year or two back, not many do.

You can look on NatWest site to see if they are offering any incentives.

I dont think you can have a cash card for an 11 year old. Nationwide was the best for my son for interest rate a while back but still wont give him a cash card - He's 10 at the moment but it might just be Nationwide or I might just be wrong

you can get prepaid credit cards these days, it's the same as a mastercard or visa but you can only spend what you have in credit on it - it doesn't let you go overdrawn. Not sure if this is any use to you or not but it might be an option.

I'm not sure on actual accounts for them - mines only 2 so hasn't quite got to grips with using any card yet - although she does say - munny, piggy bank - when my pokcets jingle!

worto.

My kids had RBS cashcard accounts. Pretty good for interest too until they grow up and then they can open their own elsewhere.

The pre-paid credit cards are quite an expensive way to pay by card although ideal if you need to pay for something by card and cant get a proper credit card or are nervous of using plastic on the net

Abbey have pretty good account for younger people, you olny get a visa electron tho.

My daughter has a freedom account with Yorkshire Building Society, you need to be 12 I think but the child gets a cash card for use in any link machine and the adult can set an upper limit on monthly withdrawls.This limit can be adjusted temporarily or whenever needed.I pay in a monthly amount via standing order.This account has taught my daughter a lot about budgeting.
ybs.co.uk/sav…tml

my 12 yr old has recently opened her own bank account with Bank of Scotland. She has a visa electron card. No incentives were offered. She loves being a grown up with her own cashline card, only prob is she seems to see the parenting role as involving me in keeping it filled up with cash lol

fairyworks;5111565

my 12 yr old has recently opened her own bank account with Bank of … my 12 yr old has recently opened her own bank account with Bank of Scotland. She has a visa electron card. No incentives were offered. She loves being a grown up with her own cashline card, only prob is she seems to see the parenting role as involving me in keeping it filled up with cash lol

lol, bless, dont you just love girls

Keeping my eye on this thread as I've love better accounts for my kids...

my 15 yr old has an abbey one... she has a card with it.

My 11 yr old needs an account, so I'm watchin this space

HSBC do a card account but the interest rates in everything are soooo low at the moment.

Original Poster

Thanks for the info, i'll take a look at them.

[COLOR="Purple"]my daughter was 11 when we opened an account at barclays with visa electron..
she too likes us to keep it topped up!![/COLOR]

Banned

my kids only have saving accounts, daughters 15 so hers in her name, little guys not in his name yet, but neither of them have the books - lol

1 of my daughters just got a letter from yorkshire bank telling her at 10 (in july) as long as i sign the form she is allowed a debit maestro/solo card and it was adresssed to her so she is soooo xcited xx
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48810998
    2. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games78
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604827
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769585

See more discussions