Bank machine fault.

Found 2nd Jun
Yesterday I used my Barclays Bank card in the local cash machine at the one stop shop. I requested £150 a message came up saying no £10 notes so I requested £140 it took ages to pay it out normally I just put it in my purse but I checked it yesterday and it had only dispensed me £100. I immediately checked on my app and it had charged me the 150 and the 140. I spoke to the shop staff they said nothing to do with them then another lady came in and said she was 80 short. The one stop staff refused to put a note on it so no one else was scammed. I rang Barclays they said would probably right itself at midnight. By lunch today still no sign of my £190 so rang again they say 12 working days now for tesco bank to respond to my claim. Any advice please ? TIA. X
Community Updates
AskBank
Top comments
Wait 12 days to see what they say.
27 Comments
Wait 12 days to see what they say.
Not a great deal else you can do other than wait the 12 working days. I've had similar to this happen to me on 2 previous occasions. First time I waited the 12 days and the money wasn't returned. The ATM operator said that the money had been dispensed. Natwest refunded me the £100 on goodwill. 2nd time (just last month) £200 prior to London Marathon, machine didn't dispense (2x£100) spoke to bank, about 4 days later it was in my bank showing as ATM refund.
I actually work for tesco bank we refund the money straight away have your bank contact our payments team.
Though I’m not to clear on the details or where I heard it, the cash “cassettes” the money comes in, can be counted for money out. As you’ve reported it, once checked, discrepancies should show up and be adjusted.
i don't use cash machines at local stores because i don't trust them and their response when there is an issue is pretty non existent as no one wants to claim ownership. our friend lost £400 using the cash machine at her local post office and natwest never refunded her as she did not see the money debited from her account until a few weeks later when she received her paper statement through the post.

cash in ATM are counted at the end of each day but i don't know if they do with these machines that you see in local convenience stores.
Processes take time sadly, some backs will give immediate refunds some won’t need to follow the prices through. I got cash out a couple of months ago only £20 card sent straight back no money came out then it said a fault, went down the road got my cash from another machine and when I got home checked the app, first lot had come out. My bank refunded immediately, said the amount wasn’t worth investigating as the cost of doing that would be larger than the £20.
I took £50 out one day. Took my card out and walked away. Ditzy me forgot to lift the cash.
Thankfully the machine swallowed it up, a phone call and couple days later I got it credited back.
Oneday776 m ago

I took £50 out one day. Took my card out and walked away. Ditzy me forgot …I took £50 out one day. Took my card out and walked away. Ditzy me forgot to lift the cash. Thankfully the machine swallowed it up, a phone call and couple days later I got it credited back.

Apparently the machines are designed to take the money back if the cash is not taken within a certain time limit. This functionality sometimes goes wrong as I had to wrestle with an atm once as it took the money back immediately so I pulled as hard as I could. Luckily I won.

Another time I saw cash sitting in the atm and no one was around, so it obviously did not take the money back, or there was a severe delay to it dispensing the cash withdrawn.
hopper_papa_roac3 h, 32 m ago

I actually work for tesco bank we refund the money straight away have your …I actually work for tesco bank we refund the money straight away have your bank contact our payments team.

They said today will send a claim through just wondering what the chances are of getting my £190 back.
Thanks for replies
mutley18 h, 36 m ago

i don't use cash machines at local stores because i don't trust them and …i don't use cash machines at local stores because i don't trust them and their response when there is an issue is pretty non existent as no one wants to claim ownership. our friend lost £400 using the cash machine at her local post office and natwest never refunded her as she did not see the money debited from her account until a few weeks later when she received her paper statement through the post.cash in ATM are counted at the end of each day but i don't know if they do with these machines that you see in local convenience stores.

It was a tesco store
I’ve had this happen and although the amount initially showed the wrong amount it righted itself.
chocci3 h, 16 m ago

It was a tesco store

It wasn’t I said it was a one stop shop
I was £20 short at cashpoint around 2011. Never got it back. No interest for bank to sort and I just let it go. Put a claim in at bank and good luck.
Edited by: "wayners" 3rd Jun
kirstie28061 h, 51 m ago

my brother uses his barclays debit card at cash machines in local convenience stores and i noticed from his statements that there often are more than one transaction, just a minute after one another. this would mean that he would have had to put the card in again immediately having taken money out the first time and asked for the same amount. it is probably because the money did not come out the first time so he tried again.

i have told him not to use these machines but to use ones at a bank as at least then the bank is responsible for the machine in their building and they have control over it. since he has stopped using these cash machines in the local convenience stores, i have not seen any more duplicate entries in his bank account statements. i honestly believe that the machines have been taking money twice from his debit card when he was using them in the local shops.
Dont panic the money will go back in your account.

I work with very similar machines everyday. The shop can only put a certain amount in every day depending on the sales.

Customers may ask for example £200 and it will despense £80. They are not linked directly to a bank, they are Connected via a telephone wire.

Keep checking your bank. As stupid as it sounds, as its a + balance going in your account it wont be at the top of your transaction list it will be further down.

After working with these machines for over 4 years, customers often say they are short but re appears in their bank usually straight away.

The machines are counted twice a day, morning before they are put on and the figure imputted on the system on how many £10’s and 20’s taken from the safe into the machine and again when the machine is taken off at night it will show an amount on the screen for eg £1200. The £1200 is whats been taken crom the machine.

Any money left will be put back on the system and into the safe.

Any descrepsencies with amounts will show there and then.
Caroline_19931 h, 59 m ago

Dont panic the money will go back in your account. I work with very …Dont panic the money will go back in your account. I work with very similar machines everyday. The shop can only put a certain amount in every day depending on the sales. Customers may ask for example £200 and it will despense £80. They are not linked directly to a bank, they are Connected via a telephone wire. Keep checking your bank. As stupid as it sounds, as its a + balance going in your account it wont be at the top of your transaction list it will be further down. After working with these machines for over 4 years, customers often say they are short but re appears in their bank usually straight away. The machines are counted twice a day, morning before they are put on and the figure imputted on the system on how many £10’s and 20’s taken from the safe into the machine and again when the machine is taken off at night it will show an amount on the screen for eg £1200. The £1200 is whats been taken crom the machine. Any money left will be put back on the system and into the safe. Any descrepsencies with amounts will show there and then.

Thanks Barclays said should reappear the following day been 3 days already.
Caroline_19932 h, 0 m ago

Dont panic the money will go back in your account. I work with very …Dont panic the money will go back in your account. I work with very similar machines everyday. The shop can only put a certain amount in every day depending on the sales. Customers may ask for example £200 and it will despense £80. They are not linked directly to a bank, they are Connected via a telephone wire. Keep checking your bank. As stupid as it sounds, as its a + balance going in your account it wont be at the top of your transaction list it will be further down. After working with these machines for over 4 years, customers often say they are short but re appears in their bank usually straight away. The machines are counted twice a day, morning before they are put on and the figure imputted on the system on how many £10’s and 20’s taken from the safe into the machine and again when the machine is taken off at night it will show an amount on the screen for eg £1200. The £1200 is whats been taken crom the machine. Any money left will be put back on the system and into the safe. Any descrepsencies with amounts will show there and then.

I won’t be using the machine again. Just got cash back from asda. X
I'm by no means a technophobe but I never use atms for security reasons. If I need a small amount of cash I sometimes get £20 or so cashback when I do the shopping, larger amounts I always go into the bank to withdraw. It's not that difficult to plan ahead.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 3rd Jun
kirstie280623 m ago

Thanks Barclays said should reappear the following day been 3 days already.

banking systems do not work over the weekends so you may be lucky enough to see it sorted out next week when working days are back in play. i took money out of a nationwide cash machine some years ago but no money came out yet i got a receipt to state that it did. i spoke to nationwide and they said the machine would be counted at the end of the day and would be refunded to me the next day. it did appear the next day but that was during the working week.
kirstie28064 h, 35 m ago

kirstie28064 h, 35 m ago

which is a subsidiary of tesco. Mutley thought it was a local one off convenience store.
jaketheplumber24 m ago

I'm by no means a technophobe but I never use atms for security reasons. …I'm by no means a technophobe but I never use atms for security reasons. If I need a small amount of cash I sometimes get £20 or so cashback when I do the shopping, larger amounts I always go into the bank to withdraw. It's not that difficult to plan ahead.

i use ATM pretty regularly as I take cash out for my parents and my brother as well as for myself and they can be faulty. they swallow the card and won't give it back so you have to wait for a new card to be issued or the swallowed card to be retrieved the next day.

they give you less money than the receipt states but when this has happened to me, the error amount was credited back to my account straightaway luckily. they don't dispense cash but give you a receipt which states that cash had been dispensed so you have to sort it out with your bank.

having said that, i still use the atm as it is convenient and waiting in a queue at a bank to withdraw cash can be a long wait. i always check the atm before i put my card in the slot as i have seen tv programs where thieves put card slots into atm to read your card details so if an atm looks like it has been tampered with, i go elsewhere.

where there are atm within a bank building, i always choose to use the one inside the building as they are less likely to be tampered with in comparison to those on the street.
chocci13 m ago

which is a subsidiary of tesco. Mutley thought it was a local one off …which is a subsidiary of tesco. Mutley thought it was a local one off convenience store.

reading up on one stop, they are owned by tesco but they are a separate business comprising of a chain of independent local stores with the franchise model so i personally would treat them as independent local stores like the spar for example.
mutley11 h, 40 m ago

reading up on one stop, they are owned by tesco but they are a separate …reading up on one stop, they are owned by tesco but they are a separate business comprising of a chain of independent local stores with the franchise model so i personally would treat them as independent local stores like the spar for example.

the ATMS are overseen by tesco bank, hence the ops bank having to liaise with them.
I never carry cash! When I do need I get a tenner from the atms.
mutley13rd Jun

reading up on one stop, they are owned by tesco but they are a separate …reading up on one stop, they are owned by tesco but they are a separate business comprising of a chain of independent local stores with the franchise model so i personally would treat them as independent local stores like the spar for example.

how come you never read up on anything before making your threads mutters?
Woohoo finally just been paid back but 3 weeks without my money
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants