Groups

Bank payment not showing

Hi, I paid money into my account on Friday to cover a direct debit, just received a text from my bank saying I have gone overdrawn and need to pay into the account today. I have a receipt for the transaction I paid in. Contacted the bank and they don't want to know, all they said is pay in the amount today or else and that the amount I paid in didn't go in. Where do I go from here?

22 Comments

go in and ask for a manager and if they don't want to know I'd contact head office seeing as you have proof

Original Poster

faulkner893

go in and ask for a manager and if they don't want to know I'd contact … go in and ask for a manager and if they don't want to know I'd contact head office seeing as you have proof

I'm fuming, He didn't care I'd paid money in and it's gone missing, just that I was being charged for being overdrawn. I've never gone overdrawn before. Thanks for your reply

How did you pay in money, was it cash or cheque? Cash should be an immediate credit.

Has it gone missing? Or has it just not cleared into your account yet? When it appears in your account depends on the method of payment (online, cash, cheque) and what time of day it was paid in (during the day, after banking hours).

Original Poster

rob3rt

How did you pay in money, was it cash or cheque? Cash should be an … How did you pay in money, was it cash or cheque? Cash should be an immediate credit.

Cash

Original Poster

cis_groupie

Has it gone missing? Or has it just not cleared into your account yet? … Has it gone missing? Or has it just not cleared into your account yet? When it appears in your account depends on the method of payment (online, cash, cheque) and what time of day it was paid in (during the day, after banking hours).

I paid in cash on Friday 2pm,and they took the direct debit first thing this morning I presume

I've paid in cash before and it was immediate. out of order. I'd change bank

shywallflower

I paid in cash on Friday 2pm,and they took the direct debit first thing … I paid in cash on Friday 2pm,and they took the direct debit first thing this morning I presume

If it was cash, and during open hours, then I would expect it to be in my account. Go in to the branch with your receipt as proof that you paid money in, and complain firmly (but not rudely). Insist that overdraft charge is dropped.

Original Poster

I was

faulkner893

I've paid in cash before and it was immediate. out of order. I'd change … I've paid in cash before and it was immediate. out of order. I'd change bank

It's always been immediate before, so I can't understand it, I'm just glad I've got the receipt, I'm off to the branch to see what's going on now, thanks again.

what bank was it?

Original Poster

cis_groupie

If it was cash, and during open hours, then I would expect it to be in my … If it was cash, and during open hours, then I would expect it to be in my account. Go in to the branch with your receipt as proof that you paid money in, and complain firmly (but not rudely). Insist that overdraft charge is dropped.

Thanks for the advice, I'm certainly not paying any overdraft charges. (Don't worry though, I won't be rude!)

Original Poster

faulkner893

what bank was it?

The ever faithful Nat West.

good luck

I was with nat west most of my life never been overdrawn but my previous employer had been taken over and the first month payment went in a week late I informed my bank and even taken a letter in that they gave me . most of my direct debits go out in the first week, anyway nat west charged me for every transaction I rang like you they wasn't interested so I went in told them I was closing my account to which I had been a loyal customer since my school days the manager offered me all the refunds and charges if I stayed I agreed then walked over to my now bank opened and account with them then 2 months later when everything was settled I closed my account with them
    Edited by: "mercslkman" 12th Dec 2016

Dont blame the Manager, these letters, and 99% of what happens with you account is handled by computers located god knows where, and completely out of their control.

1st, you sure it was 2pm; all banks have a cut off, after which any money deposited doesnt get counted until the next working day; last time I checked it was 3pm, but things do change.

2nd, Did you pay cash in at the counter, or via a cash deposit ATM, ATM money isnt checked and registered until AFTER the close of business on the first working day AFTER the day you deposited it (found out this the hard way). So money deposited Friday wont be counted and entered into the system until tonight.

3rd, if you have receipt, check it carefully, to make sure the account details are correct.

4th, I've had a couple of payments go astray over the years, the one was a simple error at the branch, they paid it into the wrong account (my mothers); sorted in a few minutes.
    The other, the money vanished in a system glitch, so the branch sent it, but HQ never received it. Even though the branch manager got me a certified copy of his outgoing paperwork, it took 4 months for HQ to verify it and refund it.

I was lucky, my mother had ~£600 vanish in transit between her current account and her mortgage account at Santandeer, and it took them TWO YEARS to sort it.

if the DD came out this morning then would it not have been initiated on the last banking day which was Friday. if it was, it could have been done before your money went in.

regardless of what you pay in the banks only clear funds on Working Days so if you paid in late friday it wont appear till monday

If you bank with HSBC or any of the bigger ones then cash deposits made into newer ATMs will show on your account instantly. Cash deposits made before 15:00 should show on your account same dayif made in the older machines. If you have proof of deposit amount and the account it was paid to the bank owes you that money and a refund of any charges incurred due to their error.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your help and advice here's an update, still not sure what went wrong on Friday, I paid in some money at 2pm, got a receipt and everything. Every other time the funds have been there straight away (I always get a statement after paying in money to check). Been to the branch today, got no explanation and whilst she was looking into it the money appeared in my account. They are not charging me overdraft charges so it's all sorted, thanks again for your help and advice, I'll make sure it goes in a few days earlier next time just in case.

watch your credit score using noddle or clear score as an unauthorised overdraft can show on it. even though you have been told no charges just keep an eye on it just incase.

shywallflower

Thanks for all your help and advice here's an update, still not sure what … Thanks for all your help and advice here's an update, still not sure what went wrong on Friday, I paid in some money at 2pm, got a receipt and everything. Every other time the funds have been there straight away (I always get a statement after paying in money to check). Been to the branch today, got no explanation and whilst she was looking into it the money appeared in my account. They are not charging me overdraft charges so it's all sorted, thanks again for your help and advice, I'll make sure it goes in a few days earlier next time just in case.

A good result

Original Poster

caverncity

watch your credit score using noddle or clear score as an unauthorised … watch your credit score using noddle or clear score as an unauthorised overdraft can show on it. even though you have been told no charges just keep an eye on it just incase.

Ooh I never even thought of that, thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044544
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
      3. Spotify Family Premium share721
      4. Best £500 student laptop choice?11

See more discussions