Expired

Bank refuses to accept "bank of Jersey" bank note ?

Found 31st Mar 2015
The daughters gran was in Jersey last year & she forgot she had money left over.
She gave my oldest daughter a £10 Jersey bank note last week that has the queens head on it,but because it does not say Sterling,the bank said they can't accept it.
The bank in question was TSB.

Is this correct & can't only be spent in Jersey ?
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
The bank should accept them as they are sterling, and similar to Scottish notes.
They are not legal tender in the UK but are a legal currency, therefore it is at the discretion of the bank or trader whether or not they will be accepted. You can, however, take your Bank of England issued Sterling notes and spend them as you please in Jersey!

Reason being the bank has to pay the state (I.e. Jersey) for the tender.

2 choices, try palm it off to someone else or try another bank/exchange.
the bank is correct. you can spend sterling in jersey but not bank of Jersey notes here as it does not have sterling on it
daddycool1974

The bank should accept them as they are sterling, and similar to Scottish … The bank should accept them as they are sterling, and similar to Scottish notes.

Scottish notes are 'Sterling' and are legal tender and currency throughout the UK.
daddycool1974

The bank should accept them as they are sterling, and similar to Scottish … The bank should accept them as they are sterling, and similar to Scottish notes.

Scottish notes are sterling
Oh well kid won't be happy
spend it in a shop buying a toy..
your best bet to get a friend or relation with a bank account with the big banks, hsbc, natwest or barclays. they may take the note.
Edited by: "mutley1" 31st Mar 2015
GrantG182

Scottish notes are 'Sterling' and are legal tender and currency … Scottish notes are 'Sterling' and are legal tender and currency throughout the UK.

They're not, but that's irrelevent as this isn't a situation that involves the legal tender laws.

In a situation like this where there's no debt involved I believe it just comes down to what the parties involved are willing to accept.
Jersey is a British Crown Dependency and therefore not part of the UK. They have their own currency and we in the UK therefore have no obligation to exchange it for sterling. You could always try another bank I guess but pot luck I would say
Edited by: "bobdylan" 31st Mar 2015
I bet you even the locals don't want the Jersey money as it's useless everywhere else :-/
Try it in the self service machine at the supermarket. I got rid of a couple of tens like that a year or two ago.
Krooner

Try it in the self service machine at the supermarket. I got rid of a … Try it in the self service machine at the supermarket. I got rid of a couple of tens like that a year or two ago.

Just tried tesco & it kept spitting it out :-)
WheresMeNuts

Just tried tesco & it kept spitting it out :-)

That's a shame. I'm going again this year, would have been handy. It was Sainsbury's I did it in for what it's worth.
Some of these bank staff don't even know Northern Ireland is in UK.
ask to change it to uk money at the exchange section of the bank or supermarkets.
Sell it on eBay for £20, I'm sure some mug will buy it.
EndlessWaves

They're not, but that's irrelevent as this isn't a situation that … They're not, but that's irrelevent as this isn't a situation that involves the legal tender laws. In a situation like this where there's no debt involved I believe it just comes down to what the parties involved are willing to accept.

Shame I don't currently have any notes in my pocket otherwise I'd take one out and send you a photo of one - plain as day, Scottish notes are Sterling. Just to give another example, here's one here:-
http://www.rampantscotland.com/SCM/graphics/qetqm0001111front1a.jpg
The bank are correct to refuse it as it isn't sterling, Ive refused to accept them at work before because they don't have sterling on them
The bank should change it for an English one as the exchange rate is the same. Just in the same way as you would exchange any other money such as Euros or Dollars you have left when coming back from holiday. Go to a bank that has branches in Jersey such as Lloyds, Royal Bank of Scotland, Nat West. they should change it for you without any problem.
GrantG182

2 choices, try palm it off to someone else or try another bank/exchange.

sadly i think gran has done option one and its backfired on the kid.

Maybe buy something in cash and embed the note in some tenners till op may miss it.
From my reading in the last 10mins or so, Jersey currency in the uk is not legal tender but are legal currency. So a business (including banks) can choose to either accept them or not. Interestingly from my reading looks like English currency is legal tender in jersey though ?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants