Bank transfer protection

Posted 28th Jan
I want to buy something, but the seller wants a bank transfer, so they get the money immediately

two questions

1. would you pay this way?

2. do any of those banks (starling, Monzo, etc) have protection should I be robbed with a bank transfer?

thank you 🙏
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

30 Comments
No I wouldn’t if you dont trust seller
1) absolutely not
2) yes, but not after you have accepted the pre-transfer "yes I am comfortable with the recipient" t&c.
Anybody that’s had PayPal for more than a month would get the cash instantly anyway, if he’s said he wants to avoid fees I’d understand but to say he wants cash right away is ringing alarm bells to me.
How are you buying??
Never send money to someone you don’t know via bank transfer tell him PayPal or nothing as your then covered
I paid by PayPal, and they sent the money back, claiming their not comfortable with it being on hold
they said they set up PayPal right there and then, is there a way I can see when they really signed up?

they did also say I could pick it up, and pay cash, but haven’t given me a house number, just a postcode
Mendoza28/01/2020 19:00

I paid by PayPal, and they sent the money back, claiming their not …I paid by PayPal, and they sent the money back, claiming their not comfortable with it being on holdthey said they set up PayPal right there and then, is there a way I can see when they really signed up?they did also say I could pick it up, and pay cash, but haven’t given me a house number, just a postcode

I would just leave it and look elsewhere, seems a bit sketchy to me
Main question what your hiding is what are you buying and what price ! You could be talking about £20 here or even more
Misslovely28/01/2020 19:31

Main question what your hiding is what are you buying and what price ! You …Main question what your hiding is what are you buying and what price ! You could be talking about £20 here or even more

over £100
The only time on eBay I’ve had a seller want direct payment was when they were trying to scam me.
Paid with PayPal and buyer said PayPal would not release the money to them, so they would not ship the item.
I informed them that the second I leave positive feed back their money gets released to them.
They then refunded payment and wanted a bank transfer.
That set off warning bells.
Sell was banned from eBay the next day.
no protection. i wouldn't pay by BACS before picking up the item or receiving it, but there are a lot of trusting people out there as i sold a few things on gumtree where people pay me before I send the stuff to them and all they have seen are photos of the item.

one guy even paid me before he sent a courier over to my house to pick up the stuff, and all he had seen were photos of the items!
Do NOT pay with bank transfer . It IS a CON .
well how about this

is there a reliable source that I could hire a courier to take the cash and bring the item back? I’m thinking like uship or similar?
Definitely a scammer look elsewhere. No cover from bank transfer.
Thanks everyone, I have now reported the person
Mendoza28/01/2020 20:08

well how about this is there a reliable source that I could hire a courier …well how about this is there a reliable source that I could hire a courier to take the cash and bring the item back? I’m thinking like uship or similar?

Forget it, its a scam. No one wants bank transfer but scammers, paypal is fine for everyone but a scammer.
They offer you the pickup option to put some trust in you so you do the transfer, its mind games. Don't do it, have a search on here and you'll see others who went through with it and lost money
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 28th Jan
Mark_Hickman28/01/2020 20:24

Forget it, its a scam. No one wants bank transfer but scammers, paypal is …Forget it, its a scam. No one wants bank transfer but scammers, paypal is fine for everyone but a scammer.They offer you the pickup option to put some trust in you so you do the transfer, its mind games. Don't do it, have a search on here and you'll see others who went through with it and lost money

I actually just did a Google search, and the thread from this website popped up, I’m now 110% satisfied it’s a scam

I knew I could rely on my HUKD compadres
No. Only transfer when item is in your hand. Don't be a fool. Why do you think it's such a common scam with numbers of people being done rising.
Edited by: "wayners" 28th Jan
Very often a scam on eBay, gumtree etc however on avforums I ask for bank transfer and people do it as I have very good feedback, where are you buying from?
No protection, but not necessarily a scam. Over £100 item I'd be cautious. If on something like AVForums with high feedback then perhaps it is worth considering. If on Shpock, Facebook, Gumtree, etc. then perhaps not. PayPal can and do put holds on payments, PayPal are horrible for sellers as they give protection only to buyers and none to the seller (seller protection is worthless) plus if you create a new PayPal they will almost definitely hold money.

I would personally avoid if it's over £100, only consider bank transfer for aged accounts with high recent positive feedback for low value items.
Arto28/01/2020 18:22

Never send money to someone you don’t know via bank transfer tell him P …Never send money to someone you don’t know via bank transfer tell him PayPal or nothing as your then covered

Simple, to the point & 100% accurate. Always be wary, trust no one = can't be scammed. If in any doubt whatsoever always walk away.
snoopy1828/01/2020 22:08

Very often a scam on eBay, gumtree etc however on avforums I ask for bank …Very often a scam on eBay, gumtree etc however on avforums I ask for bank transfer and people do it as I have very good feedback, where are you buying from?

Yeah it was Shpock

they have sold other items, but I expect they’re set up, like cheap stuff

they did say you can pick it up and pay cash, they gave me a postcode, but not a door number
so anyway I had a bit of fun to test the waters

I got a friend to put a offer in too

then I put a lower one in, saying I’ll pay anything to beat the other offer

the seller told me mine was better, but the other person would do a bank transfer

my friend only said he’d pay cash or PayPal

the seller then made a mistake, and told my friend they don’t have a PayPal, but their daughter does

so my friend said, that’s great, just link your daughters PayPal, to your Shpock account

anyway not heard back yet, that was about 8pm

but I was still communicating with them at 9pm
Mendoza28/01/2020 19:00

they did also say I could pick it up, and pay cash, but haven’t given me a …they did also say I could pick it up, and pay cash, but haven’t given me a house number, just a postcode

So ask for the house number and go and pay cash on collection? It's simple really. If he won't give you the number then you have you answer for definite.
Edited by: "deeky" 29th Jan
deeky29/01/2020 09:16

So ask for the house number and go and pay cash on collection? It's simple …So ask for the house number and go and pay cash on collection? It's simple really. If he won't give you the number then you have you answer for definite.

just be careful with that if large amounts of cash are involved
itv.com/new…ay/
mutley128/01/2020 19:59

no protection. i wouldn't pay by BACS before picking up the item or …no protection. i wouldn't pay by BACS before picking up the item or receiving it, but there are a lot of trusting people out there as i sold a few things on gumtree where people pay me before I send the stuff to them and all they have seen are photos of the item. one guy even paid me before he sent a courier over to my house to pick up the stuff, and all he had seen were photos of the items!

I have had a similar experience when I sold my Land Rover Defender via eBay.

The buyer went to his bank & drew out the funds (almost £10,000) in the form of a banker's draft & then we walked to my bank & deposited it straight into my account.

I made sure we were both seen on the security cameras in each bank too.

We then went to where I had parked the vehicle & I handed the buyer the keys & all the paperwork & he drove off. I went home by train.

(Up until that point the buyer had not seen the vehicle other than photos on eBay, but he was probably good for the money. He offered to fly his plane to the nearest airport & get a taxi to me with a bundle of cash. It was tempting, but I opted to Inconvenience myself & not lose any of the money with a dodgy deal)

(PS. The Land Rover I bought from an advertisement on eBay a few years before I sold it. I paid by PayPal & collected from the buyer the same day. I would not do that again after the hassle I subsequently had with PayPal & their ability to never listen to reason during disputes when buyers try to fraudulently claim against a seller (i.e. me). They have taken far too much commission off me in the past [£9,000 I paid via PayPal for the vehicle; I think the take by them was £175] & showed no customer loyalty towards me later... but that's another issue entirely!)
paulj4829/01/2020 09:52

just be careful with that if large amounts of cash are involved …just be careful with that if large amounts of cash are involved https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-01-27/norfolk-couple-robbed-at-gunpoint-after-buying-a-car-on-ebay/

Yes, you make a valid point, but there's really no other way to eliminate the chance of sending money and getting nothing in return.
toonsquirel28/01/2020 18:14

Anybody that’s had PayPal for more than a month would get the cash i …Anybody that’s had PayPal for more than a month would get the cash instantly anyway, if he’s said he wants to avoid fees I’d understand but to say he wants cash right away is ringing alarm bells to me.How are you buying??

Anyone that accepts payment by PayPal better make sure theyre using recorded delivery
Even then you (the buyer) can just claim you recieved an empty box and put a dispute
Edited by: "emoji47" 29th Jan
paulj4829/01/2020 09:52

just be careful with that if large amounts of cash are involved …just be careful with that if large amounts of cash are involved https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-01-27/norfolk-couple-robbed-at-gunpoint-after-buying-a-car-on-ebay/

deeky29/01/2020 10:45

Yes, you make a valid point, but there's really no other way to eliminate …Yes, you make a valid point, but there's really no other way to eliminate the chance of sending money and getting nothing in return.

If the buyers in that situation had asked to see the vehicle (with the "seller") in advance of payment, the risk may have been reduced (unless the person fronting the sale at the meeting was duped into being present so that the actual [face of the] criminal was not visible).

This scam worked because of the distance involved between the buyers & "seller". The buyers probably did not want to travel from Norfolk to Manchester twice (once for a viewing, & a return with payment). The "seller" took advantage of that by anticipating a single visit with payment (in cash) without sight of the vehicle in-person in advance. When you find a perfect vehicle, unless it is a particularly rare model, it is very easy to be led with your heart & not with your head.

The criminals (although using a car with a clearly displayed registration plate) also knew the area for their getaway, & the then injured/distressed buyers probably did not.

If this is a well-organised gang, a "cloned" vehicle displaying the plate of a similar make/model may have been used to avoid detection anyway. When the couple gave chase after the incident to simply gain the registation mark on the rear of the vehicle that could so easily have resulted in further violence. They were lucky in that respect.

A few lessons to take heed of, though, with any transaction of this type. There are a few ways the situation could have been improved for the buyers in hindsight, but thanks for the information @paulj48. Hopefully this sad situation will make others more wary in the future. It sounds like the gang have previous experience of similar activity too; "Greater Manchester Police have actually connected the burglary at 5.40 pm on January 17 in Longsight, Manchester to 9 others throughout the city and Oldham".

On the day, seeing a car with masked occupants approach you at a meeting point where you are holding a substantial amount of cash may have been an early warning sign to leave & call the police for immediate assistance (as the gang may well have followed them).

The companion (partner/girlfriend/fiancée depending on which news source has reported this incident) of (48-year old) Mr Hallam, Georgina (age undeclared, oddly), was absolutely right to give the attackers what they wanted to avoid receiving similar treatment.

(PS. £390 has been raised by Georgina's sister, Rebecca Beck, via GoFundMe.com in the last six days)
This is ringing alarm bells all over the place, I would avoid them if I was you.
Bigfootpete29/01/2020 12:54

This is ringing alarm bells all over the place, I would avoid them if I …This is ringing alarm bells all over the place, I would avoid them if I was you.

Almost seventeen hours ago:

[ hotukdeals.com/com…944 ]
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants