Bank won't let me use my account until I have a passport or a full UK driving license

Found 18th Feb 2015
I had a small ebay business where I would transfer excess cash into a (limited business) bank account. I was using a PO Box as my business address and this had to be changed by the company providing the service, and when my bank statement was returned they've now put a returned mail marker on my account so I can't use my account until I show them my passport (which is expired) or my driving license (which is a provisional).

In either case they're washing their hands of it and won't accept anything else I have. Surely they can match up my expired passport with the photocopy they took when they opened the account?

Problem is I've got my accountant to close down this company and I've been informed that if the company is closed and there are funds available in the bank account it is no longer my money - so I should withdraw / transfer the funds asap. I would need to travel to the London consulate for a new passport, so that would take a very long time - time that I simply don't have.

The bank is a small independent bank, but surely they're able to help me out somehow? I would appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks,

Zak.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments

Can you transfer funds from your online account to other? Or use your account debit card to withdraw? If not are you from EU do you have an ID card? ID is so valid as a passport.

Beautymind

Can you transfer funds from your online account to other? Or use your … Can you transfer funds from your online account to other? Or use your account debit card to withdraw? If not are you from EU do you have an ID card? ID is so valid as a passport.

I've tried transferring funds from my Paypal business account (where the bank account is linked up) to my personal account - but Paypal gives me an error saying that the bank has rejected the transaction.

Surely if I was to write myself a cheque I would have the same outcome? And no, I'm not from the EU either.

Edited by: "Zak_K" 18th Feb 2015
Your provisional licence should work as long as it has paper with it. I used to use mine.
Secondly ask a solicitor or citizens advice. how much money do you have.
We can't do anything for you.
Provisional licence is fine, I use mine all the time - its exactly like showing a full license.
As others have said, the provisional is as much id as a full licence is
They won't be able to use an outdated passport, but they will be able to use your provisional driving license.
provisional licence may not be accepted as Id. not sure why passing your driving test makes you any more trust worthy!

a valid passport is needed as the holder may have died, moved abroad etc. but to be honest a bank should be able to help by looking at other documents and match them up. unfortunately they have strict policy to follow so don't always have the ability to divert.

sounds like they have blocked your account so you have no choice but to get the passport or the full driving licence.
Sounds like they suspect money laundering, think you will have to get the passport.
you should have paid your taxes instead of hiding behind a PO Box number. You have been found out and so have closed the account! The bank is correct.
adamsxi

you should have paid your taxes instead of hiding behind a PO Box number. … you should have paid your taxes instead of hiding behind a PO Box number. You have been found out and so have closed the account! The bank is correct.

Shots fired
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants