banking scam - not the usual!!

Found 10th Feb 2010
just received this - coincidence but its my sis surname!!!

new slant on old scam

i forward mine to phishing@hsbc.com or whatever bank - might help catch the muggers

HSBC Account Holder:

You have an incoming payment. James J. Rusell made an online funds transfer to your online account. The details of this transaction is shown below.

Date and Time: 09/02/2010 at 9.30 PM
Amount: 3600.00
Description: PAYMENT

Please click on the link below to view this transaction and your current balance:

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
5 Comments

why dont u just login to your account the proper way, by typing in the url into the address bar and check your statement as normal?

I wouldnt ever click on a bank link that was provided in an email.

Simples.

How would anyone ve stupid enough to fall for this ? On previous occasions when payment has been sent to you, did you ever get an email from HSBC ?

Original Poster

saayinla;7801060

How would anyone ve stupid enough to fall for this ? On previous … How would anyone ve stupid enough to fall for this ? On previous occasions when payment has been sent to you, did you ever get an email from HSBC ?

its ok us saying how can anyone be so stupid - but it seems a lot of people are scammed this way

as we are canny people on here - i think

To be fair, I can see this catching out a lot of people. Lest we forget that plenty of people (if not the vast majority) are just not internet savvy, and aren't wise to things like this. All it needs is for them to get a rush of excitement or curiosity to click that link. It may be a ridiculous thing to do from our perspective, but quite simply not everyone knows about things like this, as publicised as they are.

http://api.gamepro.com/support/docs/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/internet-serious-business-cat.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text