Expired

Banned from Gumtree

Found 28th Apr 2014
Hi,

I can't believe I'm saying this, but basically, I have just been banned from Gumtree.

I recently tried to advertise my car for sale, got a confirmation email, but it never appeared live.
In my account, it showed up as removed.
I tried again, but same thing happened.
I went on live chat, to see what the issue was.
All they said was that I had to email in and ask the question which I duly did.
Over 48 hours later, a pretty standard reply came through saying due to "continued breaches of policy being evident" and that further use of the website was prohibited.

I've previously posted only three other ads, all with no issues.

I've replied back in the strongest terms, demanding more information on my alleged wrong doing, but in the meantime, any of you guys had similar treatment????

10 Comments

It is probably something to do with the wording in the car ad, they dont like things like 'as new' etc etc, can be classed as false advertising, pretty petty considering the stuff that goes on with gumtree, but hey just sign up a new account.

A few months ago I received an email from them saying my ad had been pulled because I was spamming all the categories. When I questioned this it turned out it was because the Motorbike suit I was selling was listed as 'Either a ladies size 6/8 or large teenager'. They classed this as trying to list as both adult and childrens clothing therefore spam. I thought nothing more of it but recently I was posting ads and noticing they weren't coming up. I contacted them and was told they had blocked all posting by accident but its now rectified and was sorted pretty quickly.

just open a new account with a different email. i've never had a prob with gumtree, but then i've never listed a very high value item. weird!!! (this is what happens when ebay gets involved - worst company ever for customer service).

Ive had an account banned in the past. Possibly twice. The first account I got the standard reply, I replied to that and they never bothered replying to me so I created a second account. At some point I think that was banned too, because I said I wouldn't take PP/bank transfer. They rectified it though.

My partner has had several accounts banned :S. One one account she argued back and forth and I think one email said it wouldn't be overturned and was quite snotty then an email or two later a sorry i'll reinstate your account straight away - same person apparently :S.
Gumtree do seem to ban accounts for pretty stupid reasons and its pot luck as to whether they'll tell you what rule you broke. Easier just creating another account. Although with motors do you not have to pay a fee now? Although I assume if you do, they will have refunded?
If it was me, I'd email them back and ask why and ask them to tell you specifically what rule you broke as a lot of the time it can just be a case of someones reported you and Gumtree ban you and send a standard email saying you broke their T&C's without looking into your account. And if that doesnt work, create another account anyway. Heck I've got the banned one on one email address and two active accounts on different email addresses, just in case.

Original Poster

Just had this reply to my" letter of appeal."
Shocking attitude really- seems they act like judge and jury, with no way to even hear or challenge the alleged wrong doing.
I've opened a new account, but this has really annoyed me.
One of the worst lack of customer care I have ever experienced...

Good evening John,

Your account has been reviewed and clearly shows non-compliance of our posting rules.

Therefore, our original decision to restrict your access is upheld.

We reserve the right to remove ads and restrict user access in accordance with our terms and conditions as seen on the website (http://www.gumtree.com/disclaimer.html).

This decision is final and not open to further consideration, any future correspondence will not be answered.

Thanks and regards.

Denise
Gumtree Team

batterme

Just had this reply to my" letter of appeal."Shocking attitude really- … Just had this reply to my" letter of appeal."Shocking attitude really- seems they act like judge and jury, with no way to even hear or challenge the alleged wrong doing.I've opened a new account, but this has really annoyed me.One of the worst lack of customer care I have ever experienced...Good evening John,Your account has been reviewed and clearly shows non-compliance of our posting rules.Therefore, our original decision to restrict your access is upheld.We reserve the right to remove ads and restrict user access in accordance with our terms and conditions as seen on the website (http://www.gumtree.com/disclaimer.html).This decision is final and not open to further consideration, any future correspondence will not be answered.Thanks and regards.DeniseGumtree Team

Pretty harsh.

as the person above says... just open a new account with a different email address ... sorted:)

If they log your IP then use Hotspot Shield when you're on gumtree to mask your IP address...sorted:)

Good evening John,

You haven't adhered to the strict posting rules,

Please start a thread on another site to vent your tears.

Thanks and regards,

Gummybear.

krazyasif786

If they log your IP then use Hotspot Shield when you're on gumtree to … If they log your IP then use Hotspot Shield when you're on gumtree to mask your IP address...sorted:)

Who's multi are you?

batterme

Just had this reply to my" letter of appeal."Shocking attitude really- … Just had this reply to my" letter of appeal."Shocking attitude really- seems they act like judge and jury, with no way to even hear or challenge the alleged wrong doing.I've opened a new account, but this has really annoyed me.One of the worst lack of customer care I have ever experienced...Good evening John,Your account has been reviewed and clearly shows non-compliance of our posting rules.Therefore, our original decision to restrict your access is upheld.We reserve the right to remove ads and restrict user access in accordance with our terms and conditions as seen on the website (http://www.gumtree.com/disclaimer.html).This decision is final and not open to further consideration, any future correspondence will not be answered.Thanks and regards.DeniseGumtree Team

Ahh, yes that's the reply my partner got, also from Denise. My partner did reply back to it though, possibly asking/demanding to know exactly which ad did not follow the rules and why. Denise did reply again and apologised and reinstated the account.
It is just easier to have a second account though lol.

transit

Who's multi are you?

Sorry don't understand your question:)

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions