Barcelona - car hire and parking

Hi fellow members. Just wanted to ask if it's advisable to hire a car for sightseeing in Barcelona.

How good or bad is the parking (free or paid)?

Any information and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

11 Comments

Don't bother with a car , it's like most European city's very hectic hard work to drive around and parking is expensive , Think we paid €25 to park for 24 hours at the hotel , Car parks in the city centre are underground and expensive, parking by the beach is easier as its in the street and it's parking meters there . Use public transport and walk it's a lot easier.

yes, if you are staying in the city best to use the metro. Easy to walk and cycle

Do not bother with a car in Barcelona. Most of Barcelona can explored on foot. Car parking is too expensive and there is too much traffic. Buy the T-10 metro card (10 metro journeys for 10 Euro). Use these to get everywhere. One journey is valid for 75 minutes and you can use the one ticket within the 75 minutes on the metro, bus, tram.

Barcelona - things to do and see

- La Sagrada Familia
- Museu Picasso
- Catedral de Barcelona
- La Boqueria fruit and spice market on La Rambla
- FC Barcelona Nou Camp Stadium tour
- Barcelona Olympic Stadium and surrounding area tour
- Tibidabo Amusement Park
- Port Aventura World (large theme park that includes Ferrari Land Park)
- Discover the street art of Barri Gòtic
- Palau de la Musica Orfeo Catala
- Climb up the magical Montjuïc
- Park Guell – Gaudi's modernist park on El Carmel overlooking Barcelona
- Archaeological remains at El Born Cultural Centre
- Spend an afternoon on the beach swimming and relaxing
- Walk along the Passeig de Gracia (see the best examples of Gaudi’s work)
- Montjuïc Magic Fountain evening light and music show
- Arc de Triomf
- Maritime Museum
- Park de la Ciutadella
- Enjoy the sun and songs on Passeig Maritime
- Find a bargain at Barcelona’s best flea market (Encants Barcelona)
- Visit the neighbourhoods of Gràcia, Sarrià, Montjuïc, Poble-sec and Sant Antoni

As above. Just use the Metro. It's fast and efficient and goes everywhere you will want to go.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. Especially @thequickbrownfox.

That list makes me wonder is 3 days would be enough.

Decided that I won't bother with a car hire and parking.

Another thought. Any affordable places in the commuter belt that can get us to central Barcelona quickly ?

It is a bit like advising someone to visit London on foot and use the underground. The difference is when it gets hot it gets Bl**dy hot and very tiring. If you are into old buildings and a half finished cathedral fair enough. The sea ( the docks) are miles away. Personally I would go for a cheap beach resort holiday somewhere else that offers a day trip to Barcelona to see if you like it , then arrange to go back if you do , having genned up .

MrsAndMrsChadha

Thanks everyone for your responses. Especially @thequickbrownfox. That … Thanks everyone for your responses. Especially @thequickbrownfox. That list makes me wonder is 3 days would be enough. Decided that I won't bother with a car hire and parking. Another thought. Any affordable places in the commuter belt that can get us to central Barcelona quickly ?

You are welcome. 3 days is a bit tight. I was there for 6 days and wished I had another day or two.
Some tips: Check the website for the following places as they have paid and free times.
- Museu Picasso
- Catedral de Barcelona
- Catedral Santa Maria del Mar
- Maritime Museum

Also check the website for Montjuïc Magic Fountain so you know what days the night time light show is on.

Proveright

It is a bit like advising someone to visit London on foot and use the … It is a bit like advising someone to visit London on foot and use the underground. The difference is when it gets hot it gets Bl**dy hot and very tiring. If you are into old buildings and a half finished cathedral fair enough. The sea ( the docks) are miles away. Personally I would go for a cheap beach resort holiday somewhere else that offers a day trip to Barcelona to see if you like it , then arrange to go back if you do , having genned up .

I guess that depends on whether you want to go on a city break and visit lots of places in that city experiencing new sights and a different culture or get bored stiff sitting on a beach. There is a beach in Barcelona (which isn't miles away) if thats your thing. It is accessible by the Metro and the Metro trains are also air conditioned.
Edited by: "cdm22" 10th May

Don't know if it's up your street or not but hiring a scooter is a great way to get about. No parking charges. Millions of them on the roads there. Have done it a few times. Even if you just do it for 1 day to go to any outlining sights.

I wouldn't recommend if you don't have a bike licence/experience of riding though.

Original Poster

That's a good idea but can't do that from the airport to the city.

I do have the experience of riding a scooter as we did that in Antalya, the only downside being the bad sunburn afterwards. Lol

One of the advantages I find with hiring a car from the airport itself is that it pays for itself just in the terms of taxi money that one would normally pay to and fro from the airport. After that it's just free (apart from fuel and parking ) to go out and about.

MrsAndMrsChadha

That's a good idea but can't do that from the airport to the city. :)I … That's a good idea but can't do that from the airport to the city. :)I do have the experience of riding a scooter as we did that in Antalya, the only downside being the bad sunburn afterwards. LolOne of the advantages I find with hiring a car from the airport itself is that it pays for itself just in the terms of taxi money that one would normally pay to and fro from the airport. After that it's just free (apart from fuel and parking ) to go out and about.

It's only a few pence to get the metro direct from airport to city centre. It's most economical to buy 10 tickets to share. The staff are very helpful.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets1018
    2. I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?912
    3. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY22
    4. Issue with a CV rewrite any help appreciated.1011

See more discussions