Barclaycard £30 credit to not close account

Found 17th Sep 2012
Barclycard gave me £30 credit as incentive to not close account.

I rang them to pay off account at end of 0% BT deal but the lady said she could not close the account I would need to speak to retentions. The guy I spoke to then asked me to keep the CC open as they would send me other BT deals but I said no please close. He then came back with an offer of £30 credit right now to think about keeping it open. Thank you very much I said.
Community Updates
9 Comments
Sloth/Mod
Thanks for posting, have moved to misc as a heads up as with these things it's dependant on who you speak to, account etc.
Strange, as they don't want you to have a credit card account in credit.
i might try to cancel my debit card tomorrow but really i wont to see what happens
Agent-006

i might try to cancel my debit card tomorrow but really i wont to see … i might try to cancel my debit card tomorrow but really i wont to see what happens

Lol, have fun doing that.
I got £50 a couple of months back

Rang again last month to cancel and they said they would cancel it.

They lied, it's still open.

Keep sending me 0% BT deals instead
It amazes me what these card companies actually want, do they want you to be paying minimum payment all the time or do they want you to pay it off all the time?
They tell you they want you to pay it off in full. In reality they want you to pay the minimum.
I had this, they said they'd give me £30 in love2shop vouchers not to close the account but they never sent them and I'm too lazy to go through the rigmarole of cancelling it. I now use Tesco credit card who are really good when something goes wrong plus I like my clubcard points.
aircanman

It amazes me what these card companies actually want, do they want you to … It amazes me what these card companies actually want, do they want you to be paying minimum payment all the time or do they want you to pay it off all the time?

They want to make money out of you, which means they want you;
a) making as many transactions as possible, preferably high value ones, as they make 2%ish on the transactions.
b) using their credit service so they earn interest.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants