Barclays customers won't be able to withdraw cash from Post Office branches from Jan 2020.

Posted 10th Oct
Annoying as post offices are being cut and I rely on my local PO to withdraw money from. It is located in the Coop and I feel safer inside the store than at the ATM outside.

From MSE. moneysavingexpert.com/new…es/

Barclays customers will no longer be able to withdraw cash at Post Office branches from January.

The Post Office allows customers of 28 banks to withdraw cash, pay cash in, check their balance and deposit cheques.

But from 8 January 2020, Barclays customers will only be able to deposit cash and cheques, and check their balances at the Post Office – they won't be able to withdraw cash.

Why is Barclays making this change?A Barclays spokesperson said that it wanted to reduce its customers' reliance on the Post Office, while investing more in free-to-use cash machines and cashback services at local businesses.

The bank said that for the vast majority of its customers who use the Post Office to withdraw cash, there are alternative options within close proximity. In certain cases, Barclays customers who won't have any other convenient way to withdraw money, or those deemed to be vulnerable, will be able to withdraw cash by cheque at a Post Office branch.

The bank will be writing to every customer who has used a Post Office branch for banking services in the past six months to explain the options open to them to withdraw cash. Customers can find out more by calling 0800 169 3091 or visiting Barclays' website.

Separately, the bank has also promised that it won't close any branches for the next two years in areas where it is the last bank in a particular town, or its branch is in a particularly isolated area.

'If you're affected, you can vote with your feet'Helen Saxon, banking editor at MoneySavingExpert.com, said: "This will be a blow to some Barclays' customers, especially those who have limited access to other ways to access cash and who rely on the Post Office for it.

"If you are affected, remember that you can always vote with your feet and move your bank account to one of the banks and building societies that do let you use the Post Office for this vital service."

The Payment Systems Regulator has said it'll be monitoring the steps Barclays takes for customers to access their cash, particularly in rural areas.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
The post office has signed a deal with 3 other banks to allow their customers to withdraw cash from the post office.

Best thing for people to do is shift/switch their current account to another bank that will offer them a cash incentive if they move their bank account and ensure that they have a deal with the post office.
Edited by: "n15hu" 11th Oct
27 Comments
The post office has signed a deal with 3 other banks to allow their customers to withdraw cash from the post office.

Best thing for people to do is shift/switch their current account to another bank that will offer them a cash incentive if they move their bank account and ensure that they have a deal with the post office.
Edited by: "n15hu" 11th Oct
n15hu10/10/2019 23:17

The post office has signed a deal with 3 other banks to allow their …The post office has signed a deal with 3 other banks to allow their customers to withdraw cash from the post office.Best thing for people to do is shift their current account to another bank that will offer them a cash incentive if they move their bank account and ensure that they have a deal with the post office.

Some smaller towns and villages are suffering from all their banks closing and the ATMs charging for cash withdrawals. Cash incentives are great but how will that person get access to their money?! I'm thinking about the poor and elderly. My nearest Barclays branch is 25-35mins away on public transport. I use the post office as it is close by and I can do my banking whilst I am shopping. Yes, I could move to another bank but feel it is too much hassle cos I am lazy!
fern3710/10/2019 23:23

Some smaller towns and villages are suffering from all their banks closing …Some smaller towns and villages are suffering from all their banks closing and the ATMs charging for cash withdrawals. Cash incentives are great but how will that person get access to their money?! I'm thinking about the poor and elderly. My nearest Barclays branch is 25-35mins away on public transport. I use the post office as it is close by and I can do my banking whilst I am shopping. Yes, I could move to another bank but feel it is too much hassle cos I am lazy!

The citizen advice bureau can help the poor and elderly. Switching is quite straightforward and painless. Plus if you get a further £100 to £150 incentive then that’s great. At the same time the CAB services can enable Apple Pay or equivalent to those that have smart/android phones.
I live in a small village. There is a shop/post office and a pub. The nearest cashpoint is almost ten miles away. The nearest branch is even further.

Some may say why not use cashback. That means having to make a purchase.

Others say oh but Barclays have an app. It doesn't work and I use a modern Samsung Android tablet. Barclays have been telling me for almost two years that they are working on the app debacle (Samsung and Android aren't exactly niche!).

Sort it!!!

Or lose yet another customer.
Edited by: "MrBeansDrivingInstructor" 10th Oct
fern3710/10/2019 23:23

Some smaller towns and villages are suffering from all their banks closing …Some smaller towns and villages are suffering from all their banks closing and the ATMs charging for cash withdrawals. Cash incentives are great but how will that person get access to their money?! I'm thinking about the poor and elderly. My nearest Barclays branch is 25-35mins away on public transport. I use the post office as it is close by and I can do my banking whilst I am shopping. Yes, I could move to another bank but feel it is too much hassle cos I am lazy!

You only have to do it once and even that would take less time than going to the Barclays branch on the bus.
deeky11/10/2019 00:22

You only have to do it once and even that would take less time than going …You only have to do it once and even that would take less time than going to the Barclays branch on the bus.

I think people would rather moan instead. This day and age your stupid if your not switching. Loyalty gets you nowhere.
smoose8911/10/2019 00:26

I think people would rather moan instead. This day and age your stupid if …I think people would rather moan instead. This day and age your stupid if your not switching. Loyalty gets you nowhere.

Loyalty still works in some areas. I value customer service over getting the cheapest price.
There is three cash machines near me, in the Coop,which i used to use,free,outside the Post Office,which i used to use,now charges,and in the Post Office,which is free and i use .
Edited by: "AW0079" 11th Oct

I think people would rather moan instead. This day and age your stupid if …I think people would rather moan instead. This day and age your stupid if your not switching. Loyalty gets you nowhere.

I think that you are maybe missing the point.
Best thing to do is stop relying on cash. I’m more or less cashless, there isn’t much need for cash these days unless your buying stolen things/drugs or are a dodgy person.

Younger people also don’t use cash either and probably in the next 15-20 years cash (paper money and coins) will be phased out, it’s only the oldies and the criminals keeping it in demand really.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 11th Oct
Good luck finding a post office to start with !
TIL you can withdraw cash from a post office. Never knew that.

Though im one of those people who dont carry cash so I guess ive never had a use for it.

Sucks if your a barclays customer and need to use the post office :/
Fern.. been in the same position as you as 2 nearest branches closed.
I opened a Starling account.. and you can transfer between the accounts in 30 seconds.
With Starling you can deposit and withdraw cash at the Post Office.

Very handy app.. that tells you everything that goes on with your account etc..
cmdr_elito11/10/2019 05:17

Best thing to do is stop relying on cash. I’m more or less cashless, there …Best thing to do is stop relying on cash. I’m more or less cashless, there isn’t much need for cash these days unless your buying stolen things/drugs or are a dodgy person.Younger people also don’t use cash either and probably in the next 15-20 years cash (paper money and coins) will be phased out, it’s only the oldies and the criminals keeping it in demand really.

I withdraw cash and use it as it helps me budget. Otherwise too easy to use cards.

disagree with this.. been with Barclays since I started working at the age of 14. Been there anytime I needed
an ovedraft as a student etc.. agree to pay for my university course which an instant decision and the same when I needed
a credit card. I applied with 2 companies and they kept asking for more and more information.
Took Barclaycard 20 seconds on the phone to approve me.

Yes I can take an easy £150-£200 but you beat those times when you need them and they give you instant decisions.
MrBeansDrivingInstructor10/10/2019 23:57

I live in a small village. There is a shop/post office and a pub. The …I live in a small village. There is a shop/post office and a pub. The nearest cashpoint is almost ten miles away. The nearest branch is even further.Some may say why not use cashback. That means having to make a purchase.Others say oh but Barclays have an app. It doesn't work and I use a modern Samsung Android tablet. Barclays have been telling me for almost two years that they are working on the app debacle (Samsung and Android aren't exactly niche!).Sort it!!!Or lose yet another customer.

What's wrong with your app ? ive been using the app since i joined in 2010, my partner switched to barclays 18 months ago she uses the app, my daughter just left school june and opened a barclays account august and shes using the app.
there's always an alternative. like you said, there's an ATM outside. I'm sure there's costs involved to Barclays with post office so if they can save money because an ATM is available then they should do this. It enables them to operate longer as eventually all banks will close. Like some one else said, cash will be phased out.
I'm also just giving barclays customers a heads up.
shabbird11/10/2019 09:00

disagree with this.. been with Barclays since I started working at the age …disagree with this.. been with Barclays since I started working at the age of 14. Been there anytime I needed an ovedraft as a student etc.. agree to pay for my university course which an instant decision and the same when I needed a credit card. I applied with 2 companies and they kept asking for more and more information. Took Barclaycard 20 seconds on the phone to approve me. Yes I can take an easy £150-£200 but you beat those times when you need them and they give you instant decisions.

Same. I've stayed with them as they've looked after me and their customer service is great, for me.
fern3711/10/2019 08:51

I withdraw cash and use it as it helps me budget. Otherwise too easy to …I withdraw cash and use it as it helps me budget. Otherwise too easy to use cards.

Easy to budget with cards these days, cards like curve enable you to see what you’ve spent across all your cards. Try looking at this, it’s also very easy to block then if they are stolen etc.
Mark_Hickman11/10/2019 09:12

What's wrong with your app ? ive been using the app since i joined in …What's wrong with your app ? ive been using the app since i joined in 2010, my partner switched to barclays 18 months ago she uses the app, my daughter just left school june and opened a barclays account august and shes using the app.

A while ago I got a message when opening the app that I had to update in order to proceed. However, when I try to do this I get the message that the app is no longer compatible with my tablet. I am using a modern good spec Samsung running Android 8.1 so this shouldn't really be an issue. Barclays have told me they are aware and are working with Samsung on it. That was months ago. If you Google it you will find it is a widespread problem that Barclays don't really seem to care about.
MrBeansDrivingInstructor11/10/2019 14:01

A while ago I got a message when opening the app that I had to update in …A while ago I got a message when opening the app that I had to update in order to proceed. However, when I try to do this I get the message that the app is no longer compatible with my tablet. I am using a modern good spec Samsung running Android 8.1 so this shouldn't really be an issue. Barclays have told me they are aware and are working with Samsung on it. That was months ago. If you Google it you will find it is a widespread problem that Barclays don't really seem to care about.

Oh right i wasn't aware of that, we just use our phones. Maybe its not allowed on tablets without a call function ? Just wondering because the app has direct call section etc..
Mark_Hickman11/10/2019 14:53

Oh right i wasn't aware of that, we just use our phones. Maybe its not …Oh right i wasn't aware of that, we just use our phones. Maybe its not allowed on tablets without a call function ? Just wondering because the app has direct call section etc..

Cheers and good point. However, it did work initially - I even once had it working on a Galaxy Tab 4 running Android 4.4 by sideloading it!
💡
Maybe they could bring back 'bespoke' ?

No ?
fern3725/10/2019 03:06

Barclays have done a u-turnhttps://www.bbc.com/news/business-50174372

They need your money Fern
theguardian.com/bus…ing

Have to say this happened to me on Monday wanted to buy something from the corner shop
but they charge £5 for using your card cashpoint out of order.
I know buy a banana in Tesco they don't do cashback
but they do have an instore PO cool story eh ?
P.s bought the banana anyway 🍌
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants