Bargain Booze not giving money to charity...

10 replies
Found 5th Aug 2016
I just went into Bargain Booze to do my hermes parcels and overheard the woman arguing with someone on the phone about the company lying about giving the money they receive from carrier bags to charity. They have the signs up saying the 5p goes to a charity so is this breaking the law?

1. Ask
  2. Alcohol
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Alcohol
10 Comments

sadly this was always the danger as its up to the shop to decide whom to give it to.

Many newsagents started charging 5p when they didn't have to. You can bet it was going in
their pocket.

Just take your own bag and if you want to give to charity, give directly.

Shocking!!

as has been said, there is no legal obligation to give to charity. If however they have a sign saying they give proceeds to charity and don't follow through on that promise, I'm not sure what happens.

Personally I'd just avoid spending my money there.

kburton97

I just went into Bargain Booze to do my hermes parcels and … I just went into Bargain Booze to do my hermes parcels and overheard the woman arguing with someone on the phone about the company lying about giving the money they receive from carrier bags to charity. They have the signs up saying the 5p goes to a charity so is this breaking the law?

This is typical of the goverment instead of lowering the price of booze they raise it under the pretence the more costlier it is the less people will buy. Very shortsighted view.

It's wrong for the Government to introduce a charge for something and then insist that, after they've had their cut out of it, the remainder be given to charity.

It's the individual shops choice what to do with the money.

It should be, I went to my local home bargains (snipe retail ashton) they said they no longer have the 5p carrier bags so will have to pay 10p for there strong bags.

Original Poster

I only go in there to drop my parcels off, the people who work in there are nice, but I have a feeling they won't be working there much longer. She said she will be quitting next friday and getting a sick note to not come in next week

Bargain Booze are franchises aren't they? - so is it the franchisee donating to charity or the main umbrella company?

cootuk2

Bargain Booze are franchises aren't they? - so is it the franchisee … Bargain Booze are franchises aren't they? - so is it the franchisee donating to charity or the main umbrella company?

yep and therefore exempt from the carrier bag law, however they have a sign which I bet doesn't say all of the 5p will go to charity and this is an overheard conversation so we cant read to much into it

cootuk2

Bargain Booze are franchises aren't they? - so is it the franchisee … Bargain Booze are franchises aren't they? - so is it the franchisee donating to charity or the main umbrella company?

​yes they are. so I doubt they were on the phone to the 'company' as the OP said
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Android pay set up610
    2. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    3. Christmas presents510
    4. Mobile phone advice33

See more discussions