Bargain Shopping + eBay = Full Time Occupation?

Like many others here, I see great opportunity to profit from the amazing bargains reported on HUKD and other sources.

I used to frequently compare the bargain price against the 'market' price on eBay, and if there is a significant price difference (arbitrage), place an order for a handful and place it immediately on eBay. I once bought ~20 printers at £15 a pop and sold them for £40. I only regret not buying more

Are there many people here who do this? Anyone been able to achieve a full-time income?

38 Comments

Not enough to make a full time income IMO.

You might make about £5000 but not enough to live off.

Banned

Generally it's frowned apon, for many reasons, one being buying 10s or 100s of items stops other people getting only 1. I would say this is quite possibly your second account, fearing a comeback of some sort. I would say you're mad to bring it up, the clever ones keep stum.

Hardly a "community" spirit.....

i know i beleive in 1 per person

but people on here will certainly be getting loads of items

the best proof of this - is the thread for getting cheap wii's

Original Poster

I can appreciate this it goes somewhat against the community spirit of this forum, but I think there is a certain reality that many people are involved in making some minor profit from reselling goods. I think this is evident by the popularity of the forum in general, as I sure hope that people aren't revisiting the site every day to buy things for their own consumption.

I think Benjimoron is exactly right, £100 or so each week seems quite possible with minimal effort and limited risk. The only way to make more would be to scale the operation, but this isn't always possible. I think if you are buying tickets for events or hundreds of items then it would be unethical, otherwise it's fair game.

BTW, this really isn't my second account, but I can understand why you might have thought it was. I personally consider it wasteful to spend so much time on forums, but this really is just my opinion.

Banned

You may consider it wasteful to spend so much time on the forums, but everyone that posted on this thread between your two posts has helped someone in some way. So you're basically taking more and giving less.

You're taking the ****!, You put nothing into the forums (No help, No deals, Nothing), But are quite happy to take, take, take.

Thats what I meant by community spirit.

Original Poster

Sure, I do understand and I did anticipate some backlash from my question. I don't want to turn this into an ugly debate, but I think there is some value in discussing this as a community.

I've been a visitor to HUKD for some time, but this is actually my first time I've been into the forum - so it's not entirely true to say that I've simply been 'taking'.

Can this thread not be construed as giving to the community also?

Is your ebay ID the same as this?:giggle: PMSL :giggle: :giggle:
I looked and couldn't find these printers in your feedback, Hehehe :giggle:
How's that 'free' chicken work, that you just left feedback for.? There's one born every minute. :roll:

Original Poster

Admirable detective skills, but you've not been entirely thorough.

I have ]sold printers, and you can also see this if you look a little closer at my feedback.

And BTW, I received feedback for the Chicken voucher as a buyer, not a seller.

kmanderuk

I've been a visitor to HUKD for some time, but this is actually my first … I've been a visitor to HUKD for some time, but this is actually my first time I've been into the forum - so it's not entirely true to say that I've simply been 'taking'.

Your first post is hardly of any benefit to the forum is it?

kmanderuk

Can this thread not be construed as giving to the community also?

"giving", No, Its definitely "taking", Taking the ****.

kmanderuk

Admirable detective skills, but you've not been entirely thorough. I have … Admirable detective skills, but you've not been entirely thorough. I have ]sold printers, and you can also see this if you look a little closer at my feedback.And BTW, I received feedback for the Chicken voucher as a buyer, not a seller.

I know you left feedback as a buyer, I'd like to know how it's 'free' chicken.

BTW, you can put ebay item numbers down but not direct links. HUKD has this thing against ebay links. :roll:

Original Poster

Maybe it's awaken people to the possibility of profiting from the great bargains available. Or perhaps it's reaffirmed peoples belief that this is a shady practice. Maybe it'll even make the moderators think that this kind of thread should be trashed. Either way, it's made people think, that surely has some value.

who mentioned free chicken? i could go for some chicken right about now

Selling for a little profit here and there is ok, as in the past I have seen say £1 ps2 games and bought a few of them(not the same title) then sold them on to friends for about £3-5 each, sorted me for a night out a lot.

Didnt do that often though.

If you dont go around every deal then put a hefty mark up on each item you sell its ok.

The tax man will be after you!

Original Poster

dinosteveus

How's that 'free' chicken work, that you just left feedback for.? There's … How's that 'free' chicken work, that you just left feedback for.? There's one born every minute. :roll:

You just made it sound like I was the one who left that feedback. This isn't the case.

dinosteveus

I know you left feedback as a buyer, I'd like to know how it's 'free' … I know you left feedback as a buyer, I'd like to know how it's 'free' chicken.

It's probably just a newspaper coupon or something like that. Nando's are always doing promotions and I've taken advantage of them in the past with no problems. I too hope this isn't a scam, but I highly doubt that it is.

dinosteveus

BTW, you can put ebay item numbers down but not direct links. HUKD has … BTW, you can put ebay item numbers down but not direct links. HUKD has this thing against ebay links. :roll:

No worries - thanks for letting me know about this rule. Item 6880044181 is an example. It was a bit unfair to have said that I was making up claims, no?

Carzy

who mentioned free chicken? i could go for some chicken right about now

The OP fell for this:-

Original Poster

dinosteveus

The OP fell for this:-180155820845

Hmmm. If you do a 'Completed Items' search for "Nando's vouchers", you'll not that a fair few of us have been scammed ;-)

Take a look at item 330161981281, for example. It shows more clearly that the voucher is actually a loyalty card. On each visit you get a stamp and upon 10 visits you can claim your 'free' Chicken.

I can send you a picture of my dinner if you'd like?

dinosteveus

mmmm nando's

i'm selling a free chicken as well, only £5 a strip.

What I mean is, the seller claims the Chicken is free, it ain't, you have to pay £4.00.

kmanderuk

Hmmm. If you do a 'Completed Items' search for "Nando's vouchers", you'll … Hmmm. If you do a 'Completed Items' search for "Nando's vouchers", you'll not that a fair few of us have been scammed ;-) Take a look at item 330161981281, for example. It shows more clearly that the voucher is actually a loyalty card. On each visit you get a stamp and upon 10 visits you can claim your 'free' Chicken.I can send you a picture of my dinner if you'd like?

hang on a minute!!!!!!

you can send us a pic of your dinner,

you took a pic of your meal at nando's?????

*rubs head*

*eventually decides to give you the thumbs up*

Its crossed my mind a couple of times to snap and the bargains/keep a deal to myself, But I haven't, I'd feel guilty others have left out.

Like when its a game deal and someone says "this would have done for my sons birthday, Shame I missed out", I wouldn't want that on my conscious that some kids going to miss out on a game, Or have less toys/games because their mum/dad couldn't afford to buy the same game elsewhere, Plus something else.

Meh, Maybe I read into things to much!

Carzy

hang on a minute!!!!!!you can send us a pic of your dinner,you took a pic … hang on a minute!!!!!!you can send us a pic of your dinner,you took a pic of your meal at nando's?????*rubs head**eventually decides to give you the thumbs up*

:thinking: :? :? :? Ummmm.
Anyway, you can buy two whole fresh chickens from Tesco for a fiver.

Forgetting all the "free" chicken for a minute consider this.

Loads of people buy the best deal on HUKD, put them all on ebay, the markt gets flooded with them, more sellers than buyers and the price drops considerably. So whilst you might imagine that you could make £10 on each item looking up current selling rates, once people have placed theirs on ebay you'll find that you are lucky to be in profit. Even if you make £10, for the amount of effort involved it's not alot to be honest. It'll take you a good hours work with choosing a good deal, comparing prices on ebay, placing your order, creating an auction page, wrapping the item, taking to post office, dealing with buyers complaints etc, leaving feedback. You'll easily spend an hour to make £10 and when you take tax off (don't risk not declaring tax!) you'll only get £7. (depending on NI etc)

Not worth it IMO.

Original Poster

dinosteveus

What I mean is, the seller claims the Chicken is free, it ain't, you have … What I mean is, the seller claims the Chicken is free, it ain't, you have to pay £4.00.

Well, yes, of course it's not entirely free. Similarly, "buy one, get one free" still means you're not getting something for nothing per se.

I purchased the item for the value it provides. The chicken is worth £10.50 and I've effectively bought it for £4. I go there anyway (albeit seldomly), so I'd consider myself a winner. I might even go as far as saying that we could go into further discussion about buying gift vouchers/coupons for the value they often bring.

dinosteveus

Your comment implied that I'd been duped. I think you'll agree now that this probably isn't the case. No one is going to pay the £4 and then complain that they've been fooled because the auction said it was free.

Iom-RF

Its crossed my mind a couple of times to snap and the bargains/keep a … Its crossed my mind a couple of times to snap and the bargains/keep a deal to myself, But I haven't, I'd feel guilty others have left out.Like when its a game deal and someone says "this would have done for my sons birthday, Shame I missed out", I wouldn't want that on my conscious that some kids going to miss out on a game, Or have less toys/games because their mum/dad couldn't afford to buy the same game elsewhere, Plus something else.Meh, Maybe I read into things to much!

They could always buy it from you on ebay?!!!

dinosteveus

:thinking: :? :? :? Ummmm.Anyway, you can buy two whole fresh chickens … :thinking: :? :? :? Ummmm.Anyway, you can buy two whole fresh chickens from Tesco for a fiver.

Great info!!!!

and you dont have to go through ebay for it.

eeeee i only sign on here now and then but when i do i talk utter ****, gotta luv it.

Benjimoron

They could always buy it from you on ebay?!!!

At more money........ thats were this bit came in :

Me

Or have less toys/games because their mum/dad couldn't afford to buy the … Or have less toys/games because their mum/dad couldn't afford to buy the same game elsewhere, Plus something else.

Original Poster

Benjimoron

Loads of people buy the best deal on HUKD, put them all on ebay, the … Loads of people buy the best deal on HUKD, put them all on ebay, the markt gets flooded with them, more sellers than buyers and the price drops considerably. So whilst you might imagine that you could make £10 on each item looking up current selling rates, once people have placed theirs on ebay you'll find that you are lucky to be in profit. Even if you make £10, for the amount of effort involved it's not alot to be honest. It'll take you a good hours work with choosing a good deal, comparing prices on ebay, placing your order, creating an auction page, wrapping the item, taking to post office, dealing with buyers complaints etc, leaving feedback. You'll easily spend an hour to make £10 and when you take tax off (don't risk not declaring tax!) you'll only get £7. (depending on NI etc)

Great thoughts Benjimoron. I think you're entirely right. I was a student with all the time in the world when I was previously more active on eBay. I think that if I'd accounted for the time I put in, it probably wouldn't have been that profitable. But it was good fun and brought in some much needed funds.

Iom-RF

Like when its a game deal and someone says "this would have done for my … Like when its a game deal and someone says "this would have done for my sons birthday, Shame I missed out", I wouldn't want that on my conscious that some kids going to miss out on a game, Or have less toys/games because their mum/dad couldn't afford to buy the same game elsewhere, Plus something else.

This is a great point also. I think that whether you consider it unethical or not is quite subjective and there probably is a mixed opinion of it. On a rather separate note, I'd be of the opinion that depriving a kid of a computer game is a very good thing.

Iom-RF

At more money........ thats were this bit came in :

Yep, was just a joke really. You might sell at a loss if ebay got flooded with them, therefore it would be cheaper!

kmanderuk

Great thoughts Benjimoron. I think you're entirely right. I was a student … Great thoughts Benjimoron. I think you're entirely right. I was a student with all the time in the world when I was previously more active on eBay. I think that if I'd accounted for the time I put in, it probably wouldn't have been that profitable. But it was good fun and brought in some much needed funds.This is a great point also. I think that whether you consider it unethical or not is quite subjective and there probably is a mixed opinion of it. On a rather separate note, I'd be of the opinion that depriving a kid of a computer game is a very good thing.

I'm always right! Why is it only ever the noobs that can see that?

If you have time to spare then it's a good idea, just don't expect to make money on every item. I do a little bit as I have some time spare when my boy is asleep.

I'd estimate a good 80% of people who visit this sites, members and guests, are leechers...in fact I think I am being very generous there, I imagine it's a lot more.
As much as I personally don't agree with it and think mean things about the people who do it, I also can't blame them....the resource is here and free for all to view. I'd also be a complete hypocrite to condemn them entirely as I have done it a few times myself, mainly things I have bought just because I got 'caught up' then decided I didn't want/I'd rather have a tenner profit from...but done it I have.

do you have to declare tax when you sell on ebay ????

mostwanteddirect

do you have to declare tax when you sell on ebay ????

If its your only source of income yes.......

Anyway, forgetting the Chicken that is meant to be free and isn't, I agree with starlet.
We all need money and if the opportunity came along where you can legally make a few extra quid, who would turn it down?

Iom-RF

If its your only source of income yes.......

If it's one of several hundred different forms of income, yes! Doesn't matter if it's the only source.

If you buy with intent to sell at a profit you should pay tax on any profit, remember you can claim back for all fees/postage etc. Just buying the odd thing and "changing your mind" and happening to sell for a profit is ok though, difficult to tell when something is bought just to be sold for a profit tho.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
    2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211
    3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2235
    4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917265

See more discussions