Expired

Bargain trigger

Found 17th Jun
I have an addiction to cakes and biscuits and try as I might, I can not overcome this problem. I do not have enough self control when it comes to these and the longest that I have been able to stay away from eating them is two days then I am back on them again.

Part of the problem is that I stock up on them when they are on sale so the mere fact that they are a bargain is enough to make me buy them, thinking I am going to keep them and eat them slowly but it never works out that way as I can not stop eating them once I have them in the house.

The best practical solution for me is to stop buying them when they are on sale as that is when I really stock up on them. I am thinking if I create some sort of trigger that stops me buying the biscuits and cakes in bulk when they are on sale, I may be able to stop buying them.

One idea is that I could write an app on my phone, which I have to access every time I see a bargain and it will state that if the bargain is biscuits or cakes then don't buy it.

I would appreciate any ideas you guys may have as a trigger that I could use.

I don't need judgemental replies please, and there is no point in telling me to exert more self control as that does not work with addiction. If you have ever been addicted to anything you will understand.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
deleted113216618th Jun

Bake your own , that way only eat them when you have baked them. A be …Bake your own , that way only eat them when you have baked them. A be healthier . B. As you have to make them that instant access isn't there

It's OK; that subject has already been covered:

[ hotukdeals.com/dis…847 ]
@mutley1

"...I would appreciate any ideas you guys may have as a trigger that I could use..."

Don't stop exercising...

[ hotukdeals.com/dis…534 ]

...or don't stop creating threads...

...or reading the comments in threads on the same subject...

[ hotukdeals.com/dis…765 ]
"I don't need judgemental replies please, and there is no point in telling me to exert more self control as that does not work with addiction. If you have ever been addicted to anything you will understand."

Top thread

I told you this last year to which you said you would do. Put ketchup on the bun/cake biscuit when you've got it out of the cupboard then you won't eat it.
63 Comments
Have you thought about hypnosis? Worth a try. I think I remember you saying once you didn't think you would be susceptible but you never know. Personally I can take or leave cake and biscuits but I'm not sure I could live without cola bottles
psychobitchfromhell7 m ago

Have you thought about hypnosis? Worth a try. I think I remember you …Have you thought about hypnosis? Worth a try. I think I remember you saying once you didn't think you would be susceptible but you never know. Personally I can take or leave cake and biscuits but I'm not sure I could live without cola bottles

i don't think hypnosis will work as i had discussed this before. the other issue is that although i want to reduce my intake of cakes and biscuits, i do not want to give them up completely, which hypnosis will do, it will tell me to stop eating cakes and biscuits.

i want to stop buying in bulk then i would only have a small packet of biscuit or one cake so i can not end up eating a huge supply. it is harder to stay away from them when i have a large supply. i don't understand why, but when i have a large supply, my addiction to them becomes worse.
"I don't need judgemental replies please, and there is no point in telling me to exert more self control as that does not work with addiction. If you have ever been addicted to anything you will understand."

Top thread

mutley112 m ago

i don't think hypnosis will work as i had discussed this before. the …i don't think hypnosis will work as i had discussed this before. the other issue is that although i want to reduce my intake of cakes and biscuits, i do not want to give them up completely, which hypnosis will do, it will tell me to stop eating cakes and biscuits. i want to stop buying in bulk then i would only have a small packet of biscuit or one cake so i can not end up eating a huge supply. it is harder to stay away from them when i have a large supply. i don't understand why, but when i have a large supply, my addiction to them becomes worse.

My son will eat three or four packets of crisps a day if I buy multipacks. If I don't buy them he doesn't miss them. It is hard to pass up a bargain and I know I can't do it. My stash of bargains lives in the attic. Maybe if all your cakes were somewhere it took effort to get to, you would be able to exercise a bit more discipline. It's half past ten, do I really need that extra biscuit so much that I'm prepared to go up in the attic, out to the garage, down to the cellar etc. Also an element of out of sight, out of mind
Nah. You're on your own this time.
If you've no self control, you're unlikely to pay attention to an app on your phone anyway.

If it's a genuine addiction you have though, you do have my sympathy. There's no worse feeling than the disappointment you have in yourself afterwards.
psychobitchfromhell15 m ago

My son will eat three or four packets of crisps a day if I buy multipacks. …My son will eat three or four packets of crisps a day if I buy multipacks. If I don't buy them he doesn't miss them. It is hard to pass up a bargain and I know I can't do it. My stash of bargains lives in the attic. Maybe if all your cakes were somewhere it took effort to get to, you would be able to exercise a bit more discipline. It's half past ten, do I really need that extra biscuit so much that I'm prepared to go up in the attic, out to the garage, down to the cellar etc. Also an element of out of sight, out of mind

I put all the biscuits and cakes out of sight so I don't see them. Problem is, I still see them in my head and will go and get them. I need to stop buying them as that is the actual point of failure and not the eating them afterwards as once I have them, there is absolutely no way I can stay away from them, even though at the time of purchase, I somehow forget this problem!
mutley11 m ago

I put all the biscuits and cakes out of sight so I don't see them. Problem …I put all the biscuits and cakes out of sight so I don't see them. Problem is, I still see them in my head and will go and get them. I need to stop buying them as that is the actual point of failure and not the eating them afterwards as once I have them, there is absolutely no way I can stay away from them, even though at the time of purchase, I somehow forget this problem!

Make your husband do the shopping
miikeyblue16 m ago

If you've no self control, you're unlikely to pay attention to an app on …If you've no self control, you're unlikely to pay attention to an app on your phone anyway.If it's a genuine addiction you have though, you do have my sympathy. There's no worse feeling than the disappointment you have in yourself afterwards.

I don't know if I would pay any attention to a trigger like an app trigger or some other trigger, but I am thinking, if it even makes me think twice before picking up the bargain, it may help to remind me of the problems I am getting myself into by buying the product. A second voice almost to tell me off.
You only live once, enjoy your cake.

Also, another great topic.
mutley12 m ago

I don't know if I would pay any attention to a trigger like an app trigger …I don't know if I would pay any attention to a trigger like an app trigger or some other trigger, but I am thinking, if it even makes me think twice before picking up the bargain, it may help to remind me of the problems I am getting myself into by buying the product. A second voice almost to tell me off.

If my phone me not to buy biscuits, I'd switch it off or leave it at home.
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

Make your husband do the shopping

I love doing the shopping and would miss that so much. I would still go and buy the biscuits and cakes though. I don't think it will stop me going to buy them if he did the groceries shopping.
benjammin3164 m ago

You only live once, enjoy your cake.Also, another great topic.

True, which is why I don't want to give them up completely as I love them so much, I would miss them. I need to stop over indulgence as excess intake will lead to a very short life as I am aware that excess sugar intake will lead to all sort of medical problems, which I don't currently have, but probably will do if I can't stop.
mutley14 m ago

I love doing the shopping and would miss that so much. I would still go …I love doing the shopping and would miss that so much. I would still go and buy the biscuits and cakes though. I don't think it will stop me going to buy them if he did the groceries shopping.

Buy the cakes then give them to your neighbour to look after. How embarrassing would it be to go begging them for cake?
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

Buy the cakes then give them to your neighbour to look after. How …Buy the cakes then give them to your neighbour to look after. How embarrassing would it be to go begging them for cake?

I have asked my husband to tell me off when he sees me buying cakes and biscuits. He just looked at me funny and replied, but you are sitting there eating them now!

It is interesting that you say ask the neighbours to keep them. That may not sound that daft, getting someone else to keep them for you. I would ask my husband to keep them for me but he would eat them all himself.
mutley117 m ago

I have asked my husband to tell me off when he sees me buying cakes and …I have asked my husband to tell me off when he sees me buying cakes and biscuits. He just looked at me funny and replied, but you are sitting there eating them now!It is interesting that you say ask the neighbours to keep them. That may not sound that daft, getting someone else to keep them for you. I would ask my husband to keep them for me but he would eat them all himself.

Maybe gradually swap to a healthier snack. I love hummus and oatcakes. Still a biscuit and crunchy but full of fibre. Another favourite of mine is sugar free orange jelly. One sachet makes four snacks and what I do is get a tin of Mandarin oranges and drain off the juice. I divide the segments into four portions and use the juice as well as water to make up the jelly. Cheap, sweet and one of your five a day.
psychobitchfromhell10 m ago

Maybe gradually swap to a healthier snack. I love hummus and oatcakes. …Maybe gradually swap to a healthier snack. I love hummus and oatcakes. Still a biscuit and crunchy but full of fibre. Another favourite of mine is sugar free orange jelly. One sachet makes four snacks and what I do is get a tin of Mandarin oranges and drain off the juice. I divide the segments into four portions and use the juice as well as water to make up the jelly. Cheap, sweet and one of your five a day.

Another one for hummus and oatcakes. I especially love the plain one with a dad of sweet chilli sauce in it or even jalopeno's. The spicier the better and as it leave a bit of an after taste if you eat them (not in a bad way) which means you are less likely to be searching for something else to eat an hour later.

They are also lovely with cream cheese of any flavour.

PPS I feel your pain, so try and stop myself from buying treats. Mind you I can be really good until the seal is broken / packet open and then go down hill from there.
cheekyweegit3 m ago

Another one for hummus and oatcakes. I especially love the plain one with …Another one for hummus and oatcakes. I especially love the plain one with a dad of sweet chilli sauce in it or even jalopeno's. The spicier the better and as it leave a bit of an after taste if you eat them (not in a bad way) which means you are less likely to be searching for something else to eat an hour later.They are also lovely with cream cheese of any flavour.PPS I feel your pain, so try and stop myself from buying treats. Mind you I can be really good until the seal is broken / packet open and then go down hill from there.

Oh and with smoked salmon and dill sauce. Yum!
If possible, avoid shopping when you are hungry and maybe avoid the biscuit/cakes aisle altogether if possible. Of course, the shops don't make that easy when they stick tempting treats at the end of the aisles and near the entrance to get more sales. Think I also read somewhere that if you pick an item up you will almost certainly buy it rather than put it back on the shelf.
The best bargain is not spending at all, keep running totals on your phone. Every time you you see a deal you fancy and are about to get, 1. add the price to the running price total 2. Add the calories to the running total.

The other things i would recommend are; eating a meal before you go shopping, buy online. Come back to deals later, if you see a deal think 'OK i will consider that deal' and come back once you've got what you needed, online close the tab completely without book marking, you probably wont go back once its left your mind. Finally find someone to make a money bet with, for example you have to give £20 to your friend if you eat biscuits or cakes on weekdays or in the next month. Its even netter if its a two way bet, i have done it before and its great motivation.
Hypnosis could still help, I'd speak to a hypnotherapy councillor before you discout it, I've used them for a couple of things and they can help?
Or what about talking to a councillor, maybe this need to hoard or bulk buy is your way of "filling a gap" you could have in your life or coping with a problem or issue you might have. Sometimes things happen to us and they can affect us more than we realise.

Please don't get your hubby to shout at you, it won't help.

Good luck
Edited by: "cideristhefuture" 18th Jun
@mutley1

"...I would appreciate any ideas you guys may have as a trigger that I could use..."

Don't stop exercising...

[ hotukdeals.com/dis…534 ]

...or don't stop creating threads...

...or reading the comments in threads on the same subject...

[ hotukdeals.com/dis…765 ]
deleted1132166
Bake your own , that way only eat them when you have baked them. A be healthier . B. As you have to make them that instant access isn't there
Maybe you need to realise the cause deep down of what makes you do it. I think a lot of people have the odd binge, I’m probably worse than most and do it more than a lot but I do it when I feel down. Is yours the bargain hunting thrill, or the cake eating part that you like best?
Edited by: "choccie32" 18th Jun
Chop your head off and put it on the fireplace. You won't buy any biscuits then.
deleted113216618th Jun

Bake your own , that way only eat them when you have baked them. A be …Bake your own , that way only eat them when you have baked them. A be healthier . B. As you have to make them that instant access isn't there

It's OK; that subject has already been covered:

[ hotukdeals.com/dis…847 ]
psychobitchfromhell9 h, 41 m ago

Have you thought about hypnosis? Worth a try. I think I remember you …Have you thought about hypnosis? Worth a try. I think I remember you saying once you didn't think you would be susceptible but you never know. Personally I can take or leave cake and biscuits but I'm not sure I could live without cola bottles

A hope there fizzy cola bottles !!!
Some people use a rubber band on their wrist and every time they do the thing they're not supposed to they snap the rubber band against their wrist. This creates a trigger for them to realise what they've done and hopefully stop doing it. It takes about 40 days for you to give up a bad habit at the same time replace it with a good habit like maybe a couple of nuts or some fruit that way you don't feel empty from it.

Also the bet with someone is a good idea if you're both honest people.
Its become a habit and one that you can break.

Willpower can be found, I made a deal with myself, I have a sedentary job, love cake and despise exercise, I have never had that post exercise high that some get. So unless I want to be as big as a house, I need to moderate my intake.

So nine times out of 10 I walk past the cakes, they call my name like an old friend from the supermarket shelves, but the desire to avoid exercise is higher than my desire for cake so walk on by.
psychobitchfromhell10 h, 0 m ago

Tried it. Very refreshed from 30 mins kip in the middle of the day was as good as it got
I told you this last year to which you said you would do. Put ketchup on the bun/cake biscuit when you've got it out of the cupboard then you won't eat it.
LeahsMintytoutou1 h, 2 m ago

I told you this last year to which you said you would do. Put ketchup on …I told you this last year to which you said you would do. Put ketchup on the bun/cake biscuit when you've got it out of the cupboard then you won't eat it.

I would.
No such thing as addiction, only addictive personalities. You’re using the word “addiction” to make it ok in your head.

Just put the fork down and get a hobby.
andyanddiane3 h, 13 m ago

A hope there fizzy cola bottles !!!

Any cola bottles will do but fizzy are the dog's youknowwhats
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 18th Jun
Sticks120 h, 5 m ago

If possible, avoid shopping when you are hungry and maybe avoid the …If possible, avoid shopping when you are hungry and maybe avoid the biscuit/cakes aisle altogether if possible. Of course, the shops don't make that easy when they stick tempting treats at the end of the aisles and near the entrance to get more sales. Think I also read somewhere that if you pick an item up you will almost certainly buy it rather than put it back on the shelf.

i eat the biscuits and cakes when i am not hungry so it is not hunger that triggers my craving for them. i just think they taste so nice and just can't resist them. the more of them i have in the house, the more i eat as i am thinking i have too many so i better eat them up.

the thought process is very illogical and i can not explain it, which is why it is an addiction as it doesn't follow the normal pattern of eating, when you eat when you feel hungry and don't eat something if you think it is bad for you.

i was never able to resist walking down the biscuit and cake isle but within the last two months, i have been able to do this on and off when i walk into a supermarket, but i still glance quickly at the biscuits and cakes as i walk past them as they tend to be at the front of the shop so i have to walk past them to get to the main grocery isles.
catbeans20 h, 8 m ago

The best bargain is not spending at all, keep running totals on your …The best bargain is not spending at all, keep running totals on your phone. Every time you you see a deal you fancy and are about to get, 1. add the price to the running price total 2. Add the calories to the running total.The other things i would recommend are; eating a meal before you go shopping, buy online. Come back to deals later, if you see a deal think 'OK i will consider that deal' and come back once you've got what you needed, online close the tab completely without book marking, you probably wont go back once its left your mind. Finally find someone to make a money bet with, for example you have to give £20 to your friend if you eat biscuits or cakes on weekdays or in the next month. Its even netter if its a two way bet, i have done it before and its great motivation.

i like the idea of betting as i hate losing money so that may be enough for me to think seriously about hoarding up on the biscuits and cakes.
choccie3215 h, 29 m ago

Maybe you need to realise the cause deep down of what makes you do it. I …Maybe you need to realise the cause deep down of what makes you do it. I think a lot of people have the odd binge, I’m probably worse than most and do it more than a lot but I do it when I feel down. Is yours the bargain hunting thrill, or the cake eating part that you like best?

i have come to the conclusion that i can not stop eating the biscuits and cakes if i hoard them as my will power becomes pretty much zilt when it comes to those treats. i kid myself, thinking i can control how much i eat when i stock up but i know now that it is pointless trying to resist them when i already have them so the key has got to be not to buy them in first place. i don't want to give up eating them completely as i would miss them and they are the only food i like above anything else.

i would like to eat them but in a sensible way and the only way to achieve this to not to bulk buy. like all hukd members, i love bargains and can not resist a bargain, but in this instance it is a bargain i can not afford to have as it happens to be an area where i have a problem.
adhkarzf12 h, 41 m ago

Some people use a rubber band on their wrist and every time they do the …Some people use a rubber band on their wrist and every time they do the thing they're not supposed to they snap the rubber band against their wrist. This creates a trigger for them to realise what they've done and hopefully stop doing it. It takes about 40 days for you to give up a bad habit at the same time replace it with a good habit like maybe a couple of nuts or some fruit that way you don't feel empty from it. Also the bet with someone is a good idea if you're both honest people.

i did try this for a few days but found it had no effect whatsoever. i could try it for 40 days as this was not mentioned when it was recommended to me.
DKLS12 h, 41 m ago

Its become a habit and one that you can break.Willpower can be found, I …Its become a habit and one that you can break.Willpower can be found, I made a deal with myself, I have a sedentary job, love cake and despise exercise, I have never had that post exercise high that some get. So unless I want to be as big as a house, I need to moderate my intake.So nine times out of 10 I walk past the cakes, they call my name like an old friend from the supermarket shelves, but the desire to avoid exercise is higher than my desire for cake so walk on by.

i love exercise and i get that high whilst i am exercising. i feel agitated and frustrated if i don't get my exercise hours in any day because of the bad weather or i am busy.

i am concerned about my long term health as my diet is very poor and i eat pretty much cakes, biscuits and fruit. i also eat junk food but not so much these days as i am more obsessed with the cakes and biscuits and prefer them to even the junk food.

i know that i am going down a slippery slope and my health will be affected if i don't do something about it but i haven't been able to do very much even though i am trying. i am trying to find ways to reduce my intake and maybe i will hit on a solution that will work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants