Barred from the pizza shop.....

Posted 22nd Jan 2023
So as the title shows, im barred from my local pizza shop but who is to blame ?
i have used this pizza shop for years but with a big break in between because about 3 years back just after it changed hands they messed up the order and upon delivery i was told to accept what was on offer which was 100% wrong and pay full price or they would take it back and throw it away and obviously no charge. i opted to pay for the wrong order and vowed never to use them again, which for the following 3 years i did not.
just before Christmas my daughter used them throw Just eat without m2 knowing and to be fair the pizza was the best i had tasted so decided to use them again over Christmas.
i ordered 2 pizzas which are buy on get one free £15, extra topping £1 so £16 .asked the price over the phone and he said £16.
45 minutes later.... ding dong, pizzas arrive, thank you, how much £17.50 . I frowned but paid and still gave a £1 tip as always.
3 day later we have guests around for party games and decided to again order pizza but with 3 extra topping so £15 + £3 so £18.00
again asked how much and he said £18.00, pizzas arrive , how much £19.50 .
hmmm..... paid, frowned and still gave a £1 tip.
Also bare in mind this is directly to the shop and NOT through just eat like when my daughter ordered.
Just over a week later we again ordered 2 pizzas directly through the shop and again asked the price and was told £18, asked him to repeat it and again £18.
ding dong.... £19 ... frowned,paid and gave a £1 tip but this time i asked to see the receipt.
i was told i could see it but not keep it .
pizzas £15 bogof, 3 topping £3 and delivery £1. so £19.
i was never told about delivery in the past and this still did make sense as my house had not moved so this made a bit of sense now.

But yesterday i ordered 2 pizzas bogof £15 + 1 topping so £1 and chips £3 so £19, asked the price and he said.......£20.50 asked why and he said £1.50 delivery.
bit expensive for a 2 mile drive but whatever, so put £21.50 on the side, bill plus tip.
ding dong , open the door, thank you, how much ....£21.50 ! WHAT.
not a chance mate, take em back as they are now taking the you know what.
i ask to see the receipt and the delivery is now £2.50 .
every time ive called them ive been told a different price to the delivered price.
so i inform the delivery driver im not paying.
he calls the shop they tell him £21.50 which is what the receipt says.
we go back and forth and the shop tells him to accept £20.50 but im banned from ordering.
i pay him £20.50, give him his £1 tip and told him that in no way do i blame him.i thanked him and was polite to him at all times as knew it was not his fault.
So who is right and wrong here ?
should i have continued to allow them to increase the price every time they deliver or was i correct to finally put my foot down.
personally i think considering i order directly through the shop and not Just eat, the delivery cost of £2.50 for 2 miles drive is way overly expensive.
Thanks for taking the time to read my moan
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

121 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The first rule of fast food is NEVER order from a place you've argued with. There will be snot and hair and rat poo and everything else you can think of in your food.
    I agree. When I was in the car trade, they used to regularly order big orders from Mcdonalds for breakfast... Then they would call up complaining that things were missing and the next time they would go, they would get it for free. The first time they did it it was genuine but then they did it on regular occasions. Bear in mind this was like a minimum £40 order they would con every month or so, I'm sure the staff there would have 'seasoned' their food especially for them, because of my paranoia, so I wouldn't participate to this 'free' food. All the other staff thought I was nuts but I wouldn't have any of it!
    You should not be banned from ordering from the shop, but if the pizza shop is that bad you probably have not lost anything, except for a lot of hassle. Just get some frozen pizzas and cook when needed.
    Your concern about Tax Evasion is very valid with a Pizza place in particular.

It's incredibly cheap to make a pizza and it's next to impossible to track how many get made. The restaurant could take the dough of 4 pizzas and make 5, the customers won't notice and that's adding an untraceable extra pizza.

I just found this gov.uk/rep…aud
    Apparently you can report people without giving your information, maybe they do need a little investigating.
    Wow a whole hidden pizza.
    Someone needs to tell the government. The billions made off PPE or that blue and yellow country isn't stealing enough money from US
    You need banning from pizzas for your own good
    Author
    Brilliant
    I'd say that £2.50 to not have to get off my arse and go out into the cold, scrape ice off my car, drive 2 miles (or possibly 4, not sure if you mean return or single) is a bit of a bargain.
    Obviously not gonna read that latest rant....way too long....but I'm siding with Pizza Shop on this one. (edited)
    Author
    Helpful.... not !
    I didn't read it other than the first line. But if you are banned, then you are banned. There is no reason to make yourself feel worse by working out what happened or who is to blame. It won't change the outcome. Sometimes there is no point and this is one of those times.

Move on and try a pasty.
    Clearly the pizza shop should make customers aware of a delivery fee. However I don't understand why you would keep ordering from them again and again if they keep charging you the wrong price. Is this a pizza chain or just an independent shop?
    Author
    Independent shop, and to be fair to them the pizzas are amazing and my daughter, believe it or not moans more than me if we order from anywhere else.
    The first few times it was "just a quid" but the time comes where you really need to put your foot down
    I love how they’ve been messing you about, you’re complaining but still paying a tip.  How British of you.
    Author
    Im just extremely generous, i bought 8 cans of beer in the off licence last week and after the guy at the till rang em up, i paid and took 4 out and left them on the counter , he asked why id left em and i saud "they are for you cause you said you wanted to try em"
    I drink beer that not many shops sell so i regularly get asked about it.
    Also gave a busker £20 at Christmas cause it was raining and he carried on .
    Im just quite generous
    Sound like its one of those pizza shops owned by people who really don't care about the customer, if they act like that towards you, then do you really trust them to make pizza for you!

I would stick to Pizza Hut or Dominoes at least they have standards...
    49375560-MVpto.jpg
    I got Pizza!
    Author
    I didn't know you could upload gifs to hukd's
    Fell asleep half way through reading the post - just what I needed too thanks 😴 (edited)
    Next time pay over the phone or online or via just eat or whatever

Job done

No need for a thread
    They don't want your custom so don't use them any more. If they think you're a terrible customer do you really want to trust them with your food?
    49375549-fjIUk.jpg
    it is what it is, I worked out it was delivery charge from first sentence, ( pay more than 1.50 extra,on the apps)

so just add delivery charge to your order, if the pizza is that good, don't worry too much, just remember to add 1.50 to order for delivery charge of what price it is, should say on menu or online menu , ,save a pound and don't tip if you like,

also you are barred but other family member ain't so get them on phone.

I once did a order online and there said app was wrong and it had deal written wrong there,now a good pizza shop would allow it and change app next day but got not what ordered,so I thought well I just pick different pizza place takeaway food is always hit and miss, apart from Chinese food, them Noddles are always good,I now prefer to treat myself now to a bit of thick Juicy meat from the butcher,time it takes to wait for food,the ninja will cook it for me
    That pizza place is nuts! If I had a customer who orders that many pizzas from me, I'd be offering him free delivery and hand delivering it to him myself!
    Author
    Its strange how it has come across that i order loads of pizzas . I only use them once every Saturday but over Christmas did use them twice in a week.Im actually quite slim believe it or not, as is my family
    I read this whole story, frowned…then gave a tip.
    Happy National Pizza day!
    Apart from stating the obvious - that is a lot of pizzas!

Think how long it would take to drive two miles, so four miles in total to you and back to the pizza shop, then work that out as a minimum wage for the driver and there's your answer, and that won't include fuel, road tax, insurance etc.

At least if you do order through Just Eat or Deliveroo it sets out the delivery costs, bag cost, service charge in advance. I guess though they make it up as they go along. £1 extra here and there each order soon adds up.
    The price you were told over the phone that's what I would have payed. Bad service and their loss
    food delivery services use a lot of illegals who work in the black economy....

as for tipping, I'm with Mr Pink
    Key takeaway’s from this
    - you eat lot of pizza
    - you always add extra toppings
    - you tip (I never tip, but I always offer beer if I order pizza for party)
    - you are very Polite , I would have never paid for wrong order or even a extra penny once price was confirmed.

So, for future when you order over the phone then pay over the phone too. Even better option do it online.
    Author
    Sorry i need to update the thread and explain something, believe it or not and i swear this is true, they only accept cash for delivery !
    They do not accept card payments over the phone, ive often said to my mrs that its obviously a tax scam as cash is pretty much untraceable when it comes to things like pizza deliveries .
    I'm happy to prove this to anyone who thinks I'm telling porkies
    49375563-o7mpK.jpg
    You lost me at "So"
    Who needs to read a wall of text ? You are our hero

49414889-fphA4.jpg
    Hopefully HUKD will get a pizza tha action and follow suit.
    Author
    You know that everyone looks forward to reading my rants and moans really
    Reminds of that episode from Seinfeld, The Soup Nazi. They put up with the owners facist rules because soup was extraordinary. You should have done the same. Now it's back to crummy brands and have no one else to blame but yourself
    So much Pizza information in one post!
    49413223-RwXSm.jpg
    Sounds like the pizza shop has made a New Year’s resolution on your behalf.

There are plenty of others around so I’d personally not bother or be upset?

This reminded me of something similar that happened to us except in our case the driver got barred. Ordered from my local, order was wrong, called them and they apologised, told me to keep the wrong pizza and they’ll send out another. Driver arrived who told me he wanted the wrong pizza back, told him I was told to keep it so the kids had already started eating it. He was insistent so I called the shop, they shouted down the phone to him and he left obviously not happy at all. (edited)
    More impressed you tip the delivery driver a quid.

Ive never tipped a delivery driver as I've always been charged for delivery. Don't know anyone else who tips em either

On top of this a neighbour had a delivery last week and the idiot reversed straight into a post on my drive, smashing his back window and drove off leaving me to clear up all the mess. 49374403-Fulr2.jpg
    I always tip the driver if I haven't prepaid and I'm paying cash at the door.

I think many people do.

I don't if it's Uber Eats / Just Eat and it's paid for online as I might not have cashing kicking about in those instances.
    Should have just prepaid through Just Eat after the first discrepancy really.
    Sounds like the driver is charging people to make a bit more money.
    Author
    I did think this myself until i looked at the receipt this time
    Not sure why you paid 1.50 extra on the first delivery. I would have rejected it, end of story.
    Who cares, MUCH cheaper and better if you make it yourself - well for most people.
    Buying a pizza from tesco and putting it in the oven isn't making it yourself
    this entire rant is pointless.

the business has the legal right to a) withhold service, and b) decide who is allowed on their (private) premises - as they please, with zero explanation.

'blame' is irrelevant here.
    Author
    I apologise for FORCING you to read it !
    I got bored of reading half way but you got rinsed for paying the increased price after the second time I'd not have
    I think you should have spoken directly with the store after the first order instead of keep paying extra each time and then suddenly you put your foot down after they'd done the same overcharging after how many orders?

I think you must have been rude or gotten too worked up and they decided to ban you.

If you stuck to your guns after the first order arrived and not paid the extra it wouldn't have kept happening.

Sorry to hear you got banned but it's not the end of the world really is it? If you fancy their pizza that much maybe ask one of your neighbours to order you one or go in-store and collect it yourself.
    Author
    "I think you must have been rude or gotten too worked up and they decided to ban you."

When the delivery driver was here he called the shop and after he spoke to them he tried to hand me the phone, i refused to talk to them and kept quite whilst he spoke to them so i could hear what he was saying.
    It was the driver who then told me to pay £20.50 but could never use them again.
    Even after this i told the driver i knew it wasn't his fault and gave him a £1 tip.
    If i was wound up and rude i wouldn't have gave him a tip or spoken to him politely.
    I'm a professional person and deal with customers on a daily basis so dont really loose my cool .
    The shop barred me because in their eyes they lost a pound !
    Why would you tip everytime there is an issue? No wonder they kept charging you more and more. You are paying for a bad service happily.
    Author
    I tip the delivery driver as its not his fault his employer is scammer
    Name and shame! They may see this and remove the ban.

Also, so that we can have more stories in the future.
    Author
    Ask yourself, would you dare eat from there even if they did remove the ban .
    I've seen too many videos and heard too many horror stories where restaurants do horrible things to customers food after a complaint
's avatar
Top Merchants