Groups

Barrel Lock on garage - key spins, doesnt seem to engage... any ideas?

hello!

will try and call someone about this tomorrow.. but in the mean time, thought someone might have an idea whats happened?

ive got a fairly simple lock on my garage door, its a barrel, which with a turn of the key releases the handle and i can push the garage open - all of a sudden, the key just spins in the lock. it doesnt engage with anything. is it just plain and simply busted? or has something come loose somewhere?

any ideas appreciated

thanks

7 Comments

Is it frozen ?.

new one would be easy to fit and should'nt cost much:thinking:

Original Poster

tonyg1962;7355719

Is it frozen ?.

maybe! it is freeeeeezing outside. the key goes in ok though... theres no stiffness

Narfette;7355749

maybe! it is freeeeeezing outside. the key goes in ok though... theres no … maybe! it is freeeeeezing outside. the key goes in ok though... theres no stiffness

The mechanism could be frozen open (one of the spring loaded pins could be iced up and may release when heated up)

WD 40 cures all.

Original Poster

ok, i'll try it again tomorrow... give it a blast with the WD40
    thanks

Silly question but are you definitely using the right key? Can drill the barrel out & replace it if it's still not working.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      3. Vegan (Non-Dairy) Ben & Jerrys now launched in UK!1827
      4. Apples new update610

See more discussions