Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Basic free photo editing software

Posted 12th OctEdited by:"MIDURIX"
I'm scanning square cards which are 13.5cm high and 13.5cm wide. My HP printer saves them as a jpeg and all I want is a peice of software which will allow me to paste the 13.5x13.5cm image into a 13.5x27cm file with the image at the right ready for printing onto 13.5cmx27cm card.
At the moment I am finding out the pixel width and doubling it in paint and then moving the image to the right, however it's annoying and hard to make sure the image remains central on that side of the card.
Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
38653235-WMF5K.jpgThis is what I'm doing. Scanning original card, getting scan of just one side, making double width image and moving front of card to the right. Then I edit the front of the card.

Just want some software which can give me an image twice as wide and let me post the scanned image right in the middle of the right hand side of the image.
Scan a larger area with the required image in the postion you require within the scan ?
GIMP?
AndyRoyd12/10/2019 16:12

Scan a larger area with the required image in the postion you require …Scan a larger area with the required image in the postion you require within the scan ?

I scanned the back of the card, but it introduced a shadow because it was hard to get the folded card perfectly flat again for scanning. I'm not sure I could scan a 13.5cmx13.5cm object at a 13.5cmx27cm size, don't think that's an option
as Haircut said, use Gimp, it sounds dodgy but it's basically free photoshop and we use it at work/home all the time.
gizmodo45612/10/2019 16:25

as Haircut said, use Gimp, it sounds dodgy but it's basically free …as Haircut said, use Gimp, it sounds dodgy but it's basically free photoshop and we use it at work/home all the time.

I'm sure I've used it before and it was hard work, will have another look. Seems like such an easy task, but can't figure out how to do it.
Use a batch image resize tool after scanning all of them

Eg. fotosizer.com/Dow…oad
Or create a white template 13,5x13,5cm and batch join this to each of the scanned cards.
Edited by: "chocci" 12th Oct
Have you tried Paint from Microsoft? It should be preinstalled on your laptop. It’s a very basic software but I’m pretty sure it’ll do the job if you open a New file with the desired size and then open one of the squares and then COPY and PASTE the second one on the existing page and move the picture accordingly
The antique but functional Microsoft Photo Editor will allow you to crop and drop/move within a new image / palatte size of your choice. Even has a TWAIN function for scanning direct from the app. You may have used it back in XP days? Available for both 32&64bit machines; unlikely to need any patches. Under 20MB download dstealth.com/7fo…ms/
sfndkks12/10/2019 16:36

Have you tried Paint from Microsoft? It should be preinstalled on your …Have you tried Paint from Microsoft? It should be preinstalled on your laptop. It’s a very basic software but I’m pretty sure it’ll do the job if you open a New file with the desired size and then open one of the squares and then COPY and PASTE the second one on the existing page and move the picture accordingly

That's what I've been doing, but the pixel sizes may be different after scans, so I'd have to setup a new black image every time and then dragging the image over is too much effort.
In GIMP I can make the canvas double the width, without having to multiply the horizontal pixels by two, so a time saver there, and then i can move the image and it automatically moves perfectly along. So GIMP is better at two things.
Decided to scan to just 13.5x13.5cm, flip the photo upside down and then just print 13.5x13.5cm. Printer doesn't need to know actual size of card if you are only printing on half of it. Job done . Thanks
sfndkks12/10/2019 16:36

Have you tried Paint from Microsoft? It should be preinstalled on your …Have you tried Paint from Microsoft? It should be preinstalled on your laptop. It’s a very basic software but I’m pretty sure it’ll do the job if you open a New file with the desired size and then open one of the squares and then COPY and PASTE the second one on the existing page and move the picture accordingly

Paint 3D has some added features.
I use app on phone. Given up with pc as too difficult. It's so simple to line up and size image how you want. It's free...image-size.com/
Most image editing software will allow you to pick which side you're adding the blank area onto. I use Photofiltre myself, but I'd expect all the popular ones like Paint.net to do it too.

38654522-dEuD6.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants