Basic Laptop - no idea where to start

Posted 28th Dec 2019
Techies, or just someone who knows!!

My Vaio is now very old and needs replacing.

We don’t use the laptop for much more than a few spreadsheets, a bit surfing and printing stuff so don’t want to spend money on an all singing and dancing thing.

Any advice?..... there’s a few on in PC World at the minute but I’m lost on the Ram and the other stuff.

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Chromebook, or if Windows preferred: maybe a £130 openbox/cust-return with 12m warranty etc, random example ebay.co.uk/itm…205 where the lowest-cost "spreadsheet" software will be via decent open source office package (maybe LibreOffice or OpenOffice), or your existing s/w package lic transfer from the Vaio, or a sub to the MS Office package pushed via the suggested lappy, or combination of MSO download direct from MS + cheap functional (but questionable) MSO key from the bay.
Depends on budget
About £250, maybe a little more
AndyRoyd28/12/2019 17:49

Chromebook, or if Windows preferred: maybe a £130 openbox/cust-return with …Chromebook, or if Windows preferred: maybe a £130 openbox/cust-return with 12m warranty etc, random example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193134490205 where the lowest-cost "spreadsheet" software will be via decent open source office package (maybe LibreOffice or OpenOffice), or your existing s/w package lic transfer from the Vaio, or a sub to the MS Office package pushed via the suggested lappy, or combination of MSO download direct from MS + cheap functional (but questionable) MSO key from the bay.

1 GHz processor 😬😬
dezbo888828/12/2019 18:19

1 GHz processor 😬😬

The overlooked wider picture is it is no slouch in turbo (check its turbo performance), and otherwise very efficient at idle / low demands = long battery life per capacity, and OPs use case is low demand. Even supports HEVC at 10bit if OP wishes to throw some complex media at it that other processors may struggle with.
I needed a basic laptop for low end office/eBay work. Bought THIS coda spirit from Ebuyer £99.98 and it’s actually a great little machine.
It has a slot on the bottom for an m2 ssd to expand the storage, about £15 for 120gb £25 for a 240gb.
Check the Dell refurbs website
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions