Basic mains operated door bell

Posted 17th JanEdited by:"mutley1"
I am looking to install a basic mains operated door bell but a lot of the stuff on sale are not basic.

Anyone got recommendation of one that just ring (and loudly if possible) when you press the bell push?

Something like this

diy.com/dep…prd
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
Why have you discounted a battery powered bell?
I got a basic 'Goodmans' one from B+M for around £15 with 2 mains operated chimes (they are loud). The bell is wireless.
Also if you only wanted 1 chime it was around £8 with just the 1.
Edited by: "Tom4646" 17th Jan
Tom464617/01/2020 16:26

I got a basic 'Goodmans' one from B+M for around £15 with 2 mains operated …I got a basic 'Goodmans' one from B+M for around £15 with 2 mains operated chimes (they are loud). The bell is wireless.Also if you only wanted 1 chime it was around £8 with just the 1.

is it mains operated?
IamMT17/01/2020 16:26

Why have you discounted a battery powered bell?

it is annoying having to replace the battery all the time. a mains operated one, you connect it up then forget about it.
I think you want one of the old Friedland chime door bells. 4 Batteries which last about 18 months or use an optional transformer. Wired installation.
tlc-direct.co.uk/Pro…BwE
airbus33017/01/2020 16:53

I think you want one of the old Friedland chime door bells. 4 Batteries …I think you want one of the old Friedland chime door bells. 4 Batteries which last about 18 months or use an optional transformer. Wired installation.https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE230.html?source=adwords&ad_position=&ad_id=315107931576&placement=&kw=&network=u&matchtype=&ad_type=&product_id=VE230&product_partition_id=297072075353&campaign=shopping&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxvXVwIuL5wIVFuDtCh1KIQrkEAQYBCABEgJ9OvD_BwE

i have updated the original post. i just want a simple looking bell, the old fashioned type. i don't want to have any batteries in it as i wanted it to be connected to the mains. i don't think i want wireless either, i want a wired one as wireless will need battery in the bell push at least.
mutley117/01/2020 16:49

it is annoying having to replace the battery all the time. a mains …it is annoying having to replace the battery all the time. a mains operated one, you connect it up then forget about it.

Fair enough you must have a lot of callers.

How about this:

wilko.com/en-…097

or if price is the issue...

wilko.com/en-…868
Edited by: "IamMT" 17th Jan
mutley117/01/2020 16:57

i have updated the original post. i just want a simple looking bell, the …i have updated the original post. i just want a simple looking bell, the old fashioned type. i don't want to have any batteries in it as i wanted it to be connected to the mains. i don't think i want wireless either, i want a wired one as wireless will need battery in the bell push at least.

The one I posted is the one I have.
It is loud.
Wired
Battery free if you buy the £9 optional transformer.
The internals are the same as one I had in the 1970's, don't come much more old school than that.
IamMT17/01/2020 16:58

Fair enough you must have a lot of callers.How about …Fair enough you must have a lot of callers.How about this:https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-modern-plug-through-door-chime/p/0344097or if price is the issue...https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-plug-in-standard-door-chime/p/0343868

it is for a rental property and i know that tenants will not bother replacing batteries. they will miss calls, which doesn't bother me, but when they are waiting for trades people or deliveries, helping me out, i want to make sure they don't miss people ringing the door bell.

i used to have a battery operated door bell and i only ever had to replace the batteries every few years but even that was quite annoying. the one you have linked is too complicated and not basic enough. it also needs a battery and is wireless.
airbus33017/01/2020 17:01

The one I posted is the one I have.It is loud.WiredBattery free if you buy …The one I posted is the one I have.It is loud.WiredBattery free if you buy the £9 optional transformer.The internals are the same as one I had in the 1970's, don't come much more old school than that.

we have that at home and it looks like something out of a sitcom! it looks pretty ugly but it is pretty loud. it is hidden in the kitchen so its unsightliness is not too bad as you don't really see it.

i think the box is too big and i am looking for a small box, which is less in your face as it is going on the wall in the hall so you would see it as soon as you walk through the door as it is a small hall way.
How do you cater for the needs of hearing impaired tenants?
IamMT17/01/2020 17:06

How do you cater for the needs of hearing impaired tenants?

we don't have any impaired hearing tenants.
mutley117/01/2020 17:09

we don't have any impaired hearing tenants.

I trust you don't discriminate.
IamMT17/01/2020 17:10

I trust you don't discriminate.

this thread is about getting a door bell. that is going off topic.
airbus33017/01/2020 17:16

LoL the Friedland one doesn't need the batteries, but if you want simples …LoL the Friedland one doesn't need the batteries, but if you want simples then this may suit your needs. 3 itemshttps://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-8-24v-8-va-bell-transformer-module/8707p?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-electrical-_-doorbelltransformer&_requestid=462009 https://www.screwfix.com/p/byron-1200-wired-underdome-bell-brass/14337#product_additional_details_containerhttps://www.screwfix.com/p/byron-7910-wired-doorbell-bell-push-white/7774d

thanks. this look like what i need. i assume that transformer will work with the bell right?

my dad has a simple one like this and you don't even notice it even though it is installed in the living room.
Yes the step down is 240v to 8v (up to 24v depending on the connection you choose) The transformer fits into the the house consumer unit (fusebox) and is hard wired to the doorbell and the bell push. You will need an electrician to fit it and certificate it if it is for a rental property.
airbus33017/01/2020 17:23

Yes the step down is 240v to 8v (up to 24v depending on the connection you …Yes the step down is 240v to 8v (up to 24v depending on the connection you choose) The transformer fits into the the house consumer unit (fusebox) and is hard wired to the doorbell and the bell push. You will need an electrician to fit it and certificate it if it is for a rental property.

thanks. yes, i am going to employ an electrician to do it.
mutley117/01/2020 17:25

thanks. yes, i am going to employ an electrician to do it.

What about telling the electrician what you want, supply and fit.
ScubaDudes17/01/2020 21:18

What about telling the electrician what you want, supply and fit.

it will be cheaper for me to buy the kit and just get him to fit it. if he supply the kit, he will charge more than i go and get it. he may also get the bell that i am not happy with. from experience this is always the better option, to buy the stuff yourself and just pay for the labour. that way you can source out the cheapest place to buy it and choose the exact product that you like.
You can get bell transformers that are not fitted in the consumer unit, if you have a mains socket it could connect to
matth999918/01/2020 00:32

You can get bell transformers that are not fitted in the consumer unit, if …You can get bell transformers that are not fitted in the consumer unit, if you have a mains socket it could connect to

Can you get me a link to such a transformer?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants