Basic mini PC

Posted 5th Sep
After some advice or places to shop please.

Would like a small, basic PC. Either windows or mac, not bothered which.

Would only be doing the odd bit of work on it, kids their homework occasionally. Loading roms on to other gaming systems is likely. Not necessary for gaming or video editing.

Want something small that I could hook up to a monitor or the TV with a Bluetooth keyboard. Wireless connectivity to allow me to print and the usual usb and hdmi ports.

Any advice on old units (do they run that slow for basic computing?) or new off the shelf options? Operating system installed would be a bonus.

Any guides I've found on mini units point to the dearer end of the market.

Help appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
3 Comments
Have a search of "lenovo thinkcentre tiny" on ebay. The naming can get a bit confusing, but the M92p Tiny came out in 2013, you can sense check models you're looking at here - en.wikipedia.org/wik…ies

I think the M710q is quite a good buy at the moment. Check sold listings on ebay, but for ~£250 you can pickup something decent, 8GB RAM, SSD of 128GB or 250GB, i5 (6th Gen.) with Win. 10 Pro and some warranty left, e.g. ebay.co.uk/itm…893 However - this might go against your requirements - most have Display Port connectivity and they won't necessarily have a wireless card (but you can sort the latter with a dongle or card and I think a convertor for the former).

There is a bracket that Lenovo sell for mounting on the back of a monitor.
morgie05/09/2020 10:48

Have a search of "lenovo thinkcentre tiny" on ebay. The naming can get a …Have a search of "lenovo thinkcentre tiny" on ebay. The naming can get a bit confusing, but the M92p Tiny came out in 2013, you can sense check models you're looking at here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkCentre_M_series I think the M710q is quite a good buy at the moment. Check sold listings on ebay, but for ~£250 you can pickup something decent, 8GB RAM, SSD of 128GB or 250GB, i5 (6th Gen.) with Win. 10 Pro and some warranty left, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353185824893 However - this might go against your requirements - most have Display Port connectivity and they won't necessarily have a wireless card (but you can sort the latter with a dongle or card and I think a convertor for the former).There is a bracket that Lenovo sell for mounting on the back of a monitor.

Thanks. Sounds like the kind of things I'm thinking would suit us. Heard of some you can hang on the monitor which sounds neat. Will take a look
If you're tight on space bear in mind some Mini PCs are two box computers, the power supply is in a separate box attached to the main PC by a cable - aka a power brick.

You'd be looking at ~£400 new. While cheaper options are available down to about £100, they're usually sufficiently limited in storage or memory that I wouldn't buy one for general use. Second hand will give you a generally more capable PC at that price, although for video use they may not support the DRM for the latest standards (4k HDR etc.)
Post a comment
@
    Text