Basic PC upgrade advice

Found 15th Mar
Hi Everyone

I have a basic desktop PC at home, and my son is wanting to play a few games on it (Mainly total war & Warhammer) Total war, and runs OK in a low setting,

Can anyone recommend a graphics card? Ideally no more than £60 I don't mind buying one second hand off ebay

It's currently only running an old 512mb card, and has an ASUS P5G41T-M LX motherboard if that helps, I've already bought an extra 4gb RAM too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Community Updates
7 Comments
What cpu do you have atm? Don't wanna buy a card your current CPU will bottleneck. Also what PSU do you have as some older cards will draw a lot of power your current one may not support so you may need to look at a lower power draw one such as a GT 1030. May also be worth noting how big your case is as some gpus can be too big for older ones seeing as your mobo is quite old.
Edited by: "emodan" 15th Mar
Original Poster
I'm not sure on the exact model, but its an Intel 3.2 GHZ quad core, the PC is about 3/4 years old
If you want new go for a gt 1030 if second hand anything above the min spec should be okay if your psu and case can support it

Recommended spec for Total War Warhammer 2

Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 64Bit

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Install size: 60 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB @ 1080p

PC Minimum Specifications:

Expected around 25-35 FPS on campaign map and in a 1v1, 20 units vs 20 units battle, default graphics preset set to “Low”, running at 1280×720

Operating System: Windows 7 64Bit

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz

RAM: 4GB/5GB*

Install size: 60 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB | AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB | Intel HD4000 @ 720p

*PC integrated graphics chipsets, e.g. Intel HD series, will require 5GB system RAM
Original Poster
Brillaint, i'll check the PSU and case when i get in, but that that GT 1030 looks ideal

Thanks for the advice
Go to control panel/System and Security/System that will show what processor you have.
danno171 h, 40 m ago

I'm not sure on the exact model, but its an Intel 3.2 GHZ quad core, the …I'm not sure on the exact model, but its an Intel 3.2 GHZ quad core, the PC is about 3/4 years old

I had to check the date on the thread with that comment.

The G41 in the motherboard model name suggests it's using the G41 chipset and looking it up that is indeed the case. The G41 was Intel's budget chipset between 2008 and 2010. It was certainly long gone by 2014.

A 3.2Ghz quad core would also be unlikely in that motherboard. The fastest one on it's support list is 3Ghz. Are you sure it wasn't 2.3Ghz like a Q8200, or a 3.2Ghz dual core like the E8500?

Those Core 2 CPUs are rather slow these days and can restrict game performance. What card do you have now? If it was a high end one at the time then you may not see enough benefit.
Original Poster
I'll double check when i get in from work and post an update, thanks for the advice!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants