Basic TV package with Sky costs £20 more than Virgin Media!! What a rip off

Found 15th Nov 2011
Hi guys, i have sky tv with all the channels inc sports, movies, espn, hd etc and it costs £72.50 per month. I can no longer justify paying this amount for tv in todays climate. Anyway i was going to downgrade all my channels so i have the entertainment plus pack i.e. every channel apart from movies and sports. This would cost me £25 per month. If i add on hd it costs an extra £10.25 per month and ESPN an extra £12 per month. Total price would be £47.25 per month. If i took the XL tv package with virgin media it would cost me £27.50 per month. With this i would get free espn and free hd. Why are Sky not as competetive. I'm really disappointed as i phoned them and the best they can do is give me 25% off the £25 for 12 months which the agent said would bring the cost down to £18.33 per month but when i add on hd and espn its still going to cost £40.33 which is still £12.88 more expensive than the standard cost at Virgin Media. Sky need to get their act together. I'm more than happy to stay with Sky if they can match the offer of virgin media which sadly i don't think they can. What do you guys think?
Community Updates
36 Comments
Banned
sky basic package does not include sports and movies lol
Banned
Im getting Sky HD installed tomorrow. Apparently they have more channels.
Original Poster
what you guys on about? lol. Basically it costs £25 for sky channels i.e. every channel apart from movies and sports. It costs £27.50 with virgin media for every channel apart from the movies and sports. The difference is virgin media throw in hd and espn for free. If i was to add this to the basic sky package it would cost £47.25 per month. Is that clearer?
Original Poster
Adnan786

Im getting Sky HD installed tomorrow. Apparently they have more channels.

Yeah they do i.e. sports and movies etc but it's only the basic channels i would need anyway.
Original Poster
lumoruk

sky basic package does not include sports and movies lol

Were you half sleeping when you read this? It's pretty clear to me and i'm assuming most other people who read it. You must have only read like every second word.
Original Poster
dcx_badass

You get BBC, ITV, C4 HD all included for free with sky, is that clearer?

I'm failing to understand what point you are trying to make here. Maybe we should let a third party look at the post and come to a conclusion
If you have sky basic with doc pack and cartoon, and you subscribe to hd do you get sky movies or sports channel
Banned
Lol @ all the replies in here.
Okay, we all agree, Sky are dearer. But if your so bothered, ring + cancel, then ring Virgin and get it installed. If you ring up once a week, and say you cant afford the packages (let them go through the rigmarole of trying to save you money etc etc), you have more chance of them offering you discounts if you have 'premium' channels, ie movies/sports. I worked for Sky, you can only use a certain offer percentage per week (like 7%), so if you have the time, keep ringing and saying you can't afford, someone will give in and give you a discount on your current package.
christopherguy25

I'm failing to understand what point you are trying to make here. Maybe … I'm failing to understand what point you are trying to make here. Maybe we should let a third party look at the post and come to a conclusion

If I remember correctly, the £10.25 for HD you mention in original post is only for movies/sports, so you wouldn't need to pay that as you get standard channels in HD.
Banned
Sky hd gives u about 30 channels, discovery, fx, itv 1 2 3, ch5 etc
Are you that bothered about HD espn? if you are go with Virgin. If not stay with sky.

Not sure what a ramble here was going to solve.

Edited by: "jonny619447" 15th Nov 2011
dga

Dunno about $ly, but Vermin Media block certain +1 channels so you need … Dunno about $ly, but Vermin Media block certain +1 channels so you need to upgrade for them...thats petty! :|VM has the fastest broadband so who gives a monkeys about Sports and Movies??

VM may have faster internet but its capped! where as sky isn't!
christopherguy25

I'm failing to understand what point you are trying to make here. Maybe … I'm failing to understand what point you are trying to make here. Maybe we should let a third party look at the post and come to a conclusion

Tell them you want a discount as you don't watch or listen to any BBC station....
fridgehead

VM may have faster internet but its capped! where as sky isn't!

Yea capped if you exceed the traffic management before 9pm and they only reduce your speed. So if you get 30mb broadband and then its capped before 9pm you download speed will be still faster sky
christopherguy25

Jesus Christ.

It's called freedom of choice, you've made the determination Sky are dearer so just go with Virgin FFS.
Banned
jonny619447

Are you that bothered about HD espn? if you are go with Virgin. If not … Are you that bothered about HD espn? if you are go with Virgin. If not stay with sky. Not sure what a ramble here was going to solve.

The OP is infamous for them - arent we getting used to them by now
Can anyone really watch that much TV? Just stick with Freeview, or Freeview HD as the Beeb have the only HD content worth watching anyway.
emmsix

Can anyone really watch that much TV? Just stick with Freeview, or … Can anyone really watch that much TV? Just stick with Freeview, or Freeview HD as the Beeb have the only HD content worth watching anyway.

....Or Freesat.
Quick question, can i cancel sky (we have tv, phone and internet) then take it up in my partners name to get another half price offer or would that be too naughty?
dga

VM has the fastest broadband so who gives a monkeys about Sports and … VM has the fastest broadband so who gives a monkeys about Sports and Movies??

But is capped on downloads whereas sky is the only ISP that isnt
geegee-pinata

Quick question, can i cancel sky (we have tv, phone and internet) then … Quick question, can i cancel sky (we have tv, phone and internet) then take it up in my partners name to get another half price offer or would that be too naughty?

Just call them to cancel and before your cancellation date you will get offers and if not call them and ask for offers to stay you will win in anycase
Banned
I'm disappointed MC hasn't appeared yet!

Anyway..... Has anyone got HD with multiroom HD on virgin with all film channels and sport channels for less than £20.50 per month?

Same question for those living with mummy and daddy and about to have sky installed!

How?

I'm awesome. X)

Nailez

Just call them to cancel and before your cancellation date you will get … Just call them to cancel and before your cancellation date you will get offers and if not call them and ask for offers to stay you will win in anycase

Thanks but have been told that under no circumstances that i will have another offer on my account! Ha.
But i just need to cancel it all and join again online under my partners name?
Banned
geegee-pinata

Quick question, can i cancel sky (we have tv, phone and internet) then … Quick question, can i cancel sky (we have tv, phone and internet) then take it up in my partners name to get another half price offer or would that be too naughty?

It has been done. Only problem in your scenario..... Are you going to cancel the phone and Internet as well and be without for a short while?

That said, I'm on my second 12 month deal. I would say half price, but its way below that! (they messed up and I ended getting an even better deal than I'd agreed to. At £31 it was a great price .... But at £20.50 it's insane!)
geegee-pinata

Thanks but have been told that under no circumstances that i will have … Thanks but have been told that under no circumstances that i will have another offer on my account! Ha. But i just need to cancel it all and join again online under my partners name?

They will check the address.
Nailez

But is capped on downloads whereas sky is the only ISP that isnt

Not capped traffic as described here even with the reduction in P2P download speeds, it still has better speeds than any of the people I know using sky
Banned
InB4 Guv's deal...
Banned
master_chief

InB4 Guv's deal...

See post 28. X)
guv

It has been done. Only problem in your scenario..... Are you going to … It has been done. Only problem in your scenario..... Are you going to cancel the phone and Internet as well and be without for a short while?That said, I'm on my second 12 month deal. I would say half price, but its way below that! (they messed up and I ended getting an even better deal than I'd agreed to. At £31 it was a great price .... But at £20.50 it's insane!)

Well done you
So basically i should change broadband providers and phoneline thingy first then swap sky!
Yay!
Thanks guys
Banned
geegee-pinata

So basically i should change broadband providers and phoneline thingy … So basically i should change broadband providers and phoneline thingy first then swap sky!

Thats the thing. If you cancel your sky TV, but keep the other bits, you wont be able to say you are a new customer! Just remember that if you go that route, you need to say who ever is on the bill no longer lives there.... ie tell 'em youve seperated.
guv

I'm disappointed MC hasn't appeared yet!Anyway..... Has anyone got HD … I'm disappointed MC hasn't appeared yet!Anyway..... Has anyone got HD with multiroom HD on virgin with all film channels and sport channels for less than £20.50 per month?Same question for those living with mummy and daddy and about to have sky installed! :DHow?I'm awesome. X)

I have it on good authority that the size of one's Sky discount is inversely proportional to the size of one's gentleman's sausage!:{
Banned
muckypup

I have it on good authority that the size of one's Sky discount is … I have it on good authority that the size of one's Sky discount is inversely proportional to the size of one's gentleman's sausage!:{

I pay sky very little, so I guess you are correct to say its inversely proportional as my sausage is huge! X)

Thanks for the confirmation.
guv

I pay sky very little, so I guess you are correct to say its inversely … I pay sky very little, so I guess you are correct to say its inversely proportional as my sausage is huge! X)Thanks for the confirmation.

Discount,honeybun............Discount!!!:p
Banned
muckypup

Discount,honeybun............Discount!!!:p

brb cancelling my sky discount! X)
guv

Thats the thing. If you cancel your sky TV, but keep the other bits, you … Thats the thing. If you cancel your sky TV, but keep the other bits, you wont be able to say you are a new customer! Just remember that if you go that route, you need to say who ever is on the bill no longer lives there.... ie tell 'em youve seperated.

Oooh thats a good idea! Thanks Guv
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants