Groups

Bath Salts for Ezcema

I heard that bath salts are really good for relieving the symptoms of Eczema. Has anyone tried this? and can recommend some I can use?

Cheers!

21 Comments

I haven't heard that.
    I would have thought they would be quite a bad idea, but am prepared to be amazed.
    I add Oilatum plus to my bath water.

mud baths cleared up mine

I used to find bath salts/a dip in the sea was good for healing the effects of Eczema,
    baby oil gel is good for moisturizing too, and much less harmfuil than betnovate, which basically strips layers of skin away.

Banned

lots of people say it helps when they go on holiday and swim in the sea, so would say it may help in moderation

sun and sea ( which is salty) is recommended for most skin conditions.
    My brother had mega bad psoriasis and almost cost him his place in the police.
    So about 2 months b4 he was due to start he took 2 week hols in Greece swam alot and his skin improve like 300%. Now its all gone but rest slowly cleared up.
    But police even though they had accepted said if skin didnt improve they may change their mind

OF course dont be dumb and get burnt as sassie says moderation

Original Poster

Yeah thats what I was thinking because whenever I go on holiday, my skin is always clear for about a month after I come home.

I think it might be the salt in the water when I go swimming thats doing it for me so was hoping to replicate this.

Salt is good for healing, moisturizing is good for prevention :thumbsup:

Original Poster

bigflump;4907360

Any recommendations for the salt to use?

Salts........

Try it yourself, you are big enough. But please don't try this on kiddies who commonly have eczema. I could hardly imagine much worse.

Betnovate does not strip the skin. It is a steroid cream to be used sparingly in acute inflammation of many skin conditions. Hopefully then to go back to regular cream once it has subsided. It should never be used routinely / daily for more than one month.

bigflump;4907360

Salt was thought to be useful for people with open wounds when bathing. But recent studies have shown that tap water on it's own is just as good, so the salt makes little difference. It definitleyt does not moisturise in any way.

What does it prevent?

I think it is the climate, rather than sea water that improves the skin

They advertise dead sea salt for this, don't know if its any good but know that the sun and sea treatment is great. There was a documentary on tv a while ago and they took a dozen teenagers with really bad ( and I mean horrific) skin problems to a hot country for two weeks and every one had a really good result.It as very emotional as some of them were often hospitalised before and thought they would never find any relief.......Holidays on prescription ??

iglimpse;4907404

Salts........Try it yourself, you are big enough. But please don't try … Salts........Try it yourself, you are big enough. But please don't try this on kiddies who commonly have eczema. I could hardly imagine much worse.Betnovate does not strip the skin. It is a steroid cream to be used sparingly in acute inflammation of many skin conditions. Hopefully then to go back to regular cream once it has subsided. It should never be used routinely / daily for more than one month.

If you have bad eczema from head to toe, then use sparingly is hard to do.
    A side effect of betnovate is that it when used over a long period of time(years), it thins the skin :w00t:

As for which bath salts, any is fine. Just dont over do it and follow instructions :thumbsup:
    remember the baby oil gel too :thumbsup:

wendyak;4907443

They advertise dead sea salt for this, don't know if its any good but … They advertise dead sea salt for this, don't know if its any good but know that the sun and sea treatment is great. There was a documentary on tv a while ago and they took a dozen teenagers with really bad ( and I mean horrific) skin problems to a hot country for two weeks and every one had a really good result.It as very emotional as some of them were often hospitalised before and thought they would never find any relief.......Holidays on prescription ??

There is a web site that sells Dead Sea stuff (shower cream ect) there was an artical in a magazine a few years back that sung its prasies. Bought some for AM who had terable skin at the time and it worked really well. Didn't cure it totally but def helped

bigflump;4907449

If you have bad eczema from head to toe, then use sparingly is hard to … If you have bad eczema from head to toe, then use sparingly is hard to do. A side effect of betnovate is that it when used over a long period of time(years), it thins the skin :w00t: As for which bath salts, any is fine. Just dont over do it and follow instructions :thumbsup: remember the baby oil gel too :thumbsup:

Yes the side effect of long term Betnovate use is that it can make the skin thinner and therefore more vunerable to othher problems. That is why it has to be used as a thin layer (no matter how much of the body needs treatment), and not prolonged use. Not the same as stripping off skin layers.

thankyou for correcting me, betnovate does not strip the skin, but thins it over a long period of time :w00t:

Try the Aveeno bath ... they are great!!! I use them for my child (4) and they work... if the flear ups are bad you will have to get a prescription for Elocon Ointment, and this really helps, we just use it on him when it goes out of control, because it is strong stuff!!
    Otherwise, with the Aveeno and Eucerin 10% eurea moisturiser cream he's fine.

P.S. The Aveeno Bath comes in a box of 10 powder sachets and you can get them at most chemists... do a google search to find out more about them.

epsom salts - couldnt think of the name yesterday

Holland and Barrett sell the dead sea salts

Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Will give it a try!

Toybhoy;4916002

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Will give it a try!

how interesting... i would never have thought bath salts would have helped excema as salt is very drying.....

we used betnovate all over my daughter when she was tiny and i am sure the steroids werent good for her... it was a scary thing to do...

shame i didnt know about this!!

ClarityofMind;4916817

how interesting... i would never have thought bath salts would have … how interesting... i would never have thought bath salts would have helped excema as salt is very drying..... we used betnovate all over my daughter when she was tiny and i am sure the steroids werent good for her... it was a scary thing to do...shame i didnt know about this!!

The bath salts would nt have made any diference, so don't beat yourself up. You are exactly right, salt has a drying effect.

Unfortunatley eczema and many other skin conditions can come and go with no real rhyme or reason. Just because you try something and it goes, does not mean a cure.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044568
      2. One for the mathmeticians1017
      3. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow1023
      4. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?710

See more discussions