Found 11th Dec 2016
Hello there. Hoping someone is able to help. I've just switched on my bathroom light to find it wasn't working. I thought at first it was just the bulb. I removed the glass panel to discover the earth wire looking dark at one end and not attached, a wee screw appears to have come loose, can someone answer the following.

1. Is it safe to pare back the earth wire and reconnect, I've already switched off the lights upstairs using the main circuit.

2. If it is safe, do I put the earth wire under the earth plate and just screw in?

I do have a picture I can upload, just not sure how I do this.

Thanks for your help.

s86.photobucket.com/use…e=1
Images have been posted here. Thank you.

16 Comments

Personally I wouldn't touch it and would get an electrician to see to it, if you need a new light fitting get an ip44 one as they are the best for bathrooms. (just thinking of your safety)

A disconnected earth won't usually stop a light from working, it's more likely the earth wire came loose and shorted something. Has the dis box tripped?

Earth wire not connected won't stop light from working. Should work fine if the live and neutral are connected fine. Do you have a pull switch in the bathroom as it's common for them to fail. The mechanism fails inside so you need a new pull switch. Easy job. Think of your safety though..

Original Poster

Nothing tripped, I was surprised too. I've posted a couple of images, not sure if these are viewable. Thank you.

There will be a permanent live in the ceiling so turn off mains.

Banned

Turn off mains at fuse board reconect earth then switch back on at mains then turn on light and bingo it will work.no earth no light.

bruntz2016

Turn off mains at fuse board reconect earth then switch back on at mains … Turn off mains at fuse board reconect earth then switch back on at mains then turn on light and bingo it will work.no earth no light.

don't need earth in light for it to work

It looks likely that the EARTH was never connected and therefore is NOT the problem. These bulbs are notoriously temperamental, perhaps it is actually blown or has come loose? My father's bathroom light...same bulb...was acting up and I replaced bulb twice before buying a more secure fitting 25 year twin pack (yeah...why twin pack?) from Morrison's. That one did the trick...no hiccups since!
As others will say....switch off ALL MAINS, even pull out fuse just to be sure (if you are paring back and attaching that earth wire).
Good luck...stay safe!
p.s. DON'T touch the glass of the bulb with bare fingers...use cloth / tissue etc!
Edited by: "tomba" 11th Dec 2016

Original Poster

bruntz2016

Turn off mains at fuse board reconect earth then switch back on at mains … Turn off mains at fuse board reconect earth then switch back on at mains then turn on light and bingo it will work.no earth no light.

Thanks Bruntz, not sure why, but reconnecting the earth did indeed do the trick. You help is much appreciated. Take care.

caroline777upnorth

Personally I wouldn't touch it and would get an electrician to see to it, … Personally I wouldn't touch it and would get an electrician to see to it, if you need a new light fitting get an ip44 one as they are the best for bathrooms. (just thinking of your safety)

A deal was posted here a few days ago for this ip44 and they are brilliant. Ordered 2 more arrived this morning and fitted in kitchen. Wow, amazing light.

Banned

scotsann

Thanks Bruntz, not sure why, but reconnecting the earth did indeed do the … Thanks Bruntz, not sure why, but reconnecting the earth did indeed do the trick. You help is much appreciated. Take care.

Yes because you do need an earth.

scotsann

Thanks Bruntz, not sure why, but reconnecting the earth did indeed do the … Thanks Bruntz, not sure why, but reconnecting the earth did indeed do the trick. You help is much appreciated. Take care.

If you are saying it works with earth connected but not when disconnected...... then you have a problem, I reckon

Where did you connect the earth? A disconnected earth will not stop the circuit from working. Looks like there's a loose connection.
Doesn't look like that light needs an earth! Edit: Unless the earth feeds through the plastic lug and on to one of the metal studs, but what about the other stud!

Edited by: "zipmonkey" 11th Dec 2016

The light does not need an earth to work. Correctly the earth wire (in this instance) is termed a CPC, Circuit Protective Conductor. Its function is purely to protect the circuit.
In normal operation, the earth wires in your house do absolutely nothing. They are there in case there is an electrical fault. If a fault occurs, the earth will hopefully be the easiest route down to earth potential, therefore stopping human beings from acting as a conductor.
If one end is burnt it suggests there has been a fault in the past, and maybe the wire was connected by a few starnds of copper only, and these acted as a fuse and "blew" before the circuit breaker in your consumer unit (fuse board).
So reconnecting the earth should not have rectified the problem and as as zipmonkey says it points to another problem.
Having reconnected the earth, hopefully properly, you have given yourself a safety net, but if it happens again get an electrician to have a look. Shouldn't gamble with your life

it looks like a fire hazard to me, the black on the end of the earth is from the heat of the bulb. get an electrician in and consider changing for an led fitting.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769647
    2. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!2143
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522897
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428514673

See more discussions