Bathroom fitting quote

Posted 7th Aug
We’re finally getting a new bathroom yay! The builder has given us a quote - do you think his charges are fair? VAT isn’t included. Thanks all x (he’s been recommended by a friend) bathroom is small
3520694-HIjHG.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Whats the total all in? Im not adding all that up lol.
38 Comments
Calling @mutley1
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 7th Aug
is that materiels and labour? start date and finishing date? any money up front or payment on completion?
Yay to a new bathroom! We had ours done last April but took it out ourselves. Messy but so worth it! I can’t comment on the price cos we had our joiner friend reboard, our electrician friend fit the spotlights and our own plasterer, before the bathroom guys came in, so a slightly different set up. But yay for you! x
tardytortoise07/08/2020 11:19

is that materiels and labour? start date and finishing date? any money …is that materiels and labour? start date and finishing date? any money up front or payment on completion?

It’s grout, floorboards, pipe work etc. The actual furniture, hardware, shower, bath etc is separate from a bath store.. starting September, approx 1 week to 10 days (we’ve got extra electrical work to do too) and I presume payment on completion but possibly some money due part way through. Thanks
itslindsho07/08/2020 11:19

Yay to a new bathroom! We had ours done last April but took it out …Yay to a new bathroom! We had ours done last April but took it out ourselves. Messy but so worth it! I can’t comment on the price cos we had our joiner friend reboard, our electrician friend fit the spotlights and our own plasterer, before the bathroom guys came in, so a slightly different set up. But yay for you! x

Can’t wait for it to be done, not looking forward to the mess! This guy is doing the lot so less faff I hope x
ArcadeAssassin07/08/2020 11:19

We’ve added these extra too - total is £4,226 + Vat on top
41605657-sYLmG.jpg
suepooh07/08/2020 11:28

Can’t wait for it to be done, not looking forward to the mess! This guy i …Can’t wait for it to be done, not looking forward to the mess! This guy is doing the lot so less faff I hope x

Wow doing it all himself? Fancy that a plumber being a plumber, tiler, plasterer, sparky, joiner! People who are a jack of all trades are usually masters at none! But if he is recommended by friends and you have seen their finished bathrooms then best of luck and enjoy the dust and noise
He’s provided you with a very comprehensive breakdown too @suepooh ! Have you had another quote just to compare? x
Edited by: "itslindsho" 7th Aug
itslindsho07/08/2020 11:41

He’s provided you with a very comprehensive breakdown too @suepooh ! Have y …He’s provided you with a very comprehensive breakdown too @suepooh ! Have you had another quote just to compare? x

Yes had a similar one which was cheaper but didn’t have as much work to do on it as we’ve added stuff but we can’t go with them cos they can’t provide the furniture etc we wanted, it’s all very complicated
suepooh07/08/2020 11:46

Yes had a similar one which was cheaper but didn’t have as much work to do …Yes had a similar one which was cheaper but didn’t have as much work to do on it as we’ve added stuff but we can’t go with them cos they can’t provide the furniture etc we wanted, it’s all very complicated

Ah ok. Where abouts are you? I guess if they provide exactly what it is you’re after, and you’re happy with the price, then it makes sense x
Edited by: "itslindsho" 7th Aug
Tank1234507/08/2020 11:32

Wow doing it all himself? Fancy that a plumber being a plumber, tiler, …Wow doing it all himself? Fancy that a plumber being a plumber, tiler, plasterer, sparky, joiner! People who are a jack of all trades are usually masters at none! But if he is recommended by friends and you have seen their finished bathrooms then best of luck and enjoy the dust and noise

It could be the case that they someone to come in and do the electrics, etc. I have a friend who is a bathroom fitter but trained up in tiling and plumbing beforehand. He did my bathroom and did a fantastic job, it was interesting to see him working. But I know that for small jobs like lights in the bathroom, moving a switch, etc he’d call in his mate that was a sparky to drop round and do them and then square up the cost of it with them. Could be the same case here.
I think tiling at £782 is a lot and shower install at £250 is high. Do you normally haggle prices with builders? Thanks x
Tank1234507/08/2020 11:32

Wow doing it all himself? Fancy that a plumber being a plumber, tiler, …Wow doing it all himself? Fancy that a plumber being a plumber, tiler, plasterer, sparky, joiner! People who are a jack of all trades are usually masters at none! But if he is recommended by friends and you have seen their finished bathrooms then best of luck and enjoy the dust and noise

We have used a single fitter for our bathrooms.

We have also used a single fitter to do the downstairs toilet.

Both have done their own plumbing and tiling, fitted bath etc.

One also had plastering skills (he had been on a plastering course, does it regularly and did a good job). The other got a plasterer in to do the job. - We paid the bathroom fitter (who then paid the plasterer out of his money)

Both fitters got electricians in to do the electrics. (again, this was included in the bill which we paid to the fitter who in turn paid the electrician)

You will need a skip - either you pay for it yourself or the fitter pays for it. (I note this is included in the fitters bill - I recommend that you get the fitter to pay. It is possible that you have more rubbish than anticipated and it needs more than one skip. - it will be up to the fitter to pay the cost of this if it is in his bill. Also, skips are usually hired by the week and if the job takes longer, then the fitter has to pay more. - from a cost point of view, the fitter will be keen to finish your job on time to reduce the risk of paying skip fees)

We have also had an extension built on our house and had a small bathroom fitted.
- they did not need to remove the old one and your builder is only charging £375 to take the old one out.
It looks like they are doing some work to the ceiling on your quote so this needs to be considered.
The cost of a new fit in our extension was similar to yours.

My advise to you:

Get three quotes

Don't necessarily choose the cheapest.
- if your gut instinct is that the more expensive fitter will consider what you & your family want / respect your home etc, then it may be worth paying the extra. (also, getting other quotes enable you to ask your preferred fitter "we have had some other quotes which are cheaper than yours, but my wife and I were really impressed by you. What would be the best price that you could do this for? ")

- does your fitter have trade discount for tiles etc?

There is a website called nextdoor.co.uk - it is a social plaform which also has an app. It connects people in your area. You will get some posts about "lost cat" but there is also a lot of useful stuff on here. I made a post on it asking for recommendations for local bathroom fitters and got several useful numbers from here.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of bathroom furniture when budgeting for this
-sink
- taps
- bath
- shower
- radiator
- mirror
- toilet.

Good luck
Bedfordshire. He is like the boss and signs off and does the electrical stuff (certified) and his guys do the hard graft stuff and he helps them out.
suepooh07/08/2020 11:52

I think tiling at £782 is a lot and shower install at £250 is high. Do y …I think tiling at £782 is a lot and shower install at £250 is high. Do you normally haggle prices with builders? Thanks x

Is it the whole bathroom you’re getting tiled? We had half done. And that, plus the fitting of the bathroom and shower, including the waste pipes, was £900. But we’re up north, 20 miles outside Liverpool. I’d haggle a little. You don’t ask you don’t get x
Helpful56707/08/2020 11:55

We have used a single fitter for our bathrooms.We have also used a single …We have used a single fitter for our bathrooms.We have also used a single fitter to do the downstairs toilet.Both have done their own plumbing and tiling, fitted bath etc.One also had plastering skills (he had been on a plastering course, does it regularly and did a good job). The other got a plasterer in to do the job. - We paid the bathroom fitter (who then paid the plasterer out of his money)Both fitters got electricians in to do the electrics. (again, this was included in the bill which we paid to the fitter who in turn paid the electrician)You will need a skip - either you pay for it yourself or the fitter pays for it. (I note this is included in the fitters bill - I recommend that you get the fitter to pay. It is possible that you have more rubbish than anticipated and it needs more than one skip. - it will be up to the fitter to pay the cost of this if it is in his bill. Also, skips are usually hired by the week and if the job takes longer, then the fitter has to pay more. - from a cost point of view, the fitter will be keen to finish your job on time to reduce the risk of paying skip fees)We have also had an extension built on our house and had a small bathroom fitted. - they did not need to remove the old one and your builder is only charging £375 to take the old one out. It looks like they are doing some work to the ceiling on your quote so this needs to be considered.The cost of a new fit in our extension was similar to yours.My advise to you:Get three quotesDon't necessarily choose the cheapest. - if your gut instinct is that the more expensive fitter will consider what you & your family want / respect your home etc, then it may be worth paying the extra. (also, getting other quotes enable you to ask your preferred fitter "we have had some other quotes which are cheaper than yours, but my wife and I were really impressed by you. What would be the best price that you could do this for? ")- does your fitter have trade discount for tiles etc?There is a website called nextdoor.co.uk - it is a social plaform which also has an app. It connects people in your area. You will get some posts about "lost cat" but there is also a lot of useful stuff on here. I made a post on it asking for recommendations for local bathroom fitters and got several useful numbers from here.Don't forget to factor in the cost of bathroom furniture when budgeting for this-sink- taps- bath- shower- radiator- mirror- toilet.Good luck

Thank you so much, Helpful - you really are! I think I will follow your advice and look into getting another quote but my instinct tells me he’s a genuine guy, maybe not the cheapest but probably worth it. Our bathroom furniture and tiles are only £2,600 (from a place the fitter recommended) as we’re keeping our original taps and radiator. I think we were hoping the whole lot would be around £5k including fitting but we’ve added extras. We did take a big gulp at the total cost. We will ask if he can tweak the price down a bit.. I will have a look at the website - thanks again xx
itslindsho07/08/2020 12:08

Is it the whole bathroom you’re getting tiled? We had half done. And that, …Is it the whole bathroom you’re getting tiled? We had half done. And that, plus the fitting of the bathroom and shower, including the waste pipes, was £900. But we’re up north, 20 miles outside Liverpool. I’d haggle a little. You don’t ask you don’t get x

Wow you got a good deal! We’re having the bathroom fully tiled but will try to get him to knock some money off I think.
suepooh07/08/2020 12:13

Thank you so much, Helpful - you really are! I think I will follow your …Thank you so much, Helpful - you really are! I think I will follow your advice and look into getting another quote but my instinct tells me he’s a genuine guy, maybe not the cheapest but probably worth it. Our bathroom furniture and tiles are only £2,600 (from a place the fitter recommended) as we’re keeping our original taps and radiator. I think we were hoping the whole lot would be around £5k including fitting but we’ve added extras. We did take a big gulp at the total cost. We will ask if he can tweak the price down a bit.. I will have a look at the website - thanks again xx

Consider how old your taps are - if they are old then it may be worthwhile getting new because it will be cheaper in the long run if you avoid plumbing problems in the future.

Try to keep a few spare tiles, just in case you have problems in the future. (It is easier to change a few tiles than to retile the whole bathroom. - this is the reason why we ended up getting one of our bathrooms redone when the shower leaked into the kitchen)
-If you have a good fitter, ask how many tiles you should keep as spares
Helpful56707/08/2020 12:30

Consider how old your taps are - if they are old then it may be worthwhile …Consider how old your taps are - if they are old then it may be worthwhile getting new because it will be cheaper in the long run if you avoid plumbing problems in the future.Try to keep a few spare tiles, just in case you have problems in the future. (It is easier to change a few tiles than to retile the whole bathroom. - this is the reason why we ended up getting one of our bathrooms redone when the shower leaked into the kitchen)-If you have a good fitter, ask how many tiles you should keep as spares

We couldn’t decide whether to keep taps, we only replaced them 2 years ago, fitted said they should be fine to keep. Would be nice to have everything new though Will definitely keep some tiles back, that’s a good idea x
That's expensive. Homeserve do basin and toilet for £100 each or if both it's £150. But they don't touch the pipes so that will be £75 by someone independent. Not saying you should do it seperatley because you obviously would want it done together, just giving you an idea on how expensive. Look around if you don't mind the wait ask neighbours if they have done it recently, like if you saw some kind of work going on in there.
suepooh07/08/2020 11:31

We’ve added these extra too - total is £4,226 + Vat on top[Image]

I mean, these things tend to be location based, but i develop property in the south west, and if someone came to me with a £5k quote for a small bathroom without actually supplying the bathroom furniture i would tell them to do one and probably never contact them for anything ever again.
MR112307/08/2020 12:39

That's expensive. Homeserve do basin and toilet for £100 each or if both …That's expensive. Homeserve do basin and toilet for £100 each or if both it's £150. But they don't touch the pipes so that will be £75 by someone independent. Not saying you should do it seperatley because you obviously would want it done together, just giving you an idea on how expensive. Look around if you don't mind the wait ask neighbours if they have done it recently, like if you saw some kind of work going on in there.

We’ve gone for a high end toilet (£360 ) extravagant, I know. Wanted stuff good quality as it’s the only bathroom in the house with 4 adults using it (2 grown up kids) so it takes a bashing! Fitter was recommended by next door neighbour - hers looks lovely. Going to get another quote, but thanks, it does seem a lot x
ArcadeAssassin07/08/2020 12:45

I mean, these things tend to be location based, but i develop property in …I mean, these things tend to be location based, but i develop property in the south west, and if someone came to me with a £5k quote for a small bathroom without actually supplying the bathroom furniture i would tell them to do one and probably never contact them for anything ever again.

Oh dear! I see where you’re coming from. We have added stuff though. I’m going to get another quote, thanks x
suepooh07/08/2020 12:16

Wow you got a good deal! We’re having the bathroom fully tiled but will t …Wow you got a good deal! We’re having the bathroom fully tiled but will try to get him to knock some money off I think.

Yes, see what he can do.
We've just had our kitchen replaced, instead of a skip we went with a Hippo bag, managed to get a whole kitchen in it including all the waste from the new one & much cheaper then a skip. I saved more money by removing the kitchen myself & then let the fitter get on with it.
richp07/08/2020 17:29

We've just had our kitchen replaced, instead of a skip we went with a …We've just had our kitchen replaced, instead of a skip we went with a Hippo bag, managed to get a whole kitchen in it including all the waste from the new one & much cheaper then a skip. I saved more money by removing the kitchen myself & then let the fitter get on with it.

Those hippo bags look good, not seen those before, thanks x
It would be better if they actually gave you a time estimate separately from parts.

The first item is too vague, 1 item of £375 to remove the old bathroom.

If they have an hourly rate then you should be quoted saying how long it would take, otherwise they are just giving you a 'guess-timate'. Saying that, it is hard work to demolish a bathroom - took me a while to do mine, and then you have to get rid of the old (very sharp) tiles, that you have to pay to dispose of.

The supply of plumbing pipes seems rather high.

6mm cement boards? That sounds really thin, although if they are only used as backing boards for the tiles then it should be ok. Hope the adjoining room isn't a bedroom because you will be able to hear everything with boards that thin.

£250 to install the shower? How much is the shower unit by itself? I just bought a fancy looking one from E-bay for £100, they are simple to fit. Connect the Hot/cold in and the mixer out. (ebay.co.uk/itm…Bkb)
Bigfootpete07/08/2020 17:47

It would be better if they actually gave you a time estimate separately …It would be better if they actually gave you a time estimate separately from parts. The first item is too vague, 1 item of £375 to remove the old bathroom. If they have an hourly rate then you should be quoted saying how long it would take, otherwise they are just giving you a 'guess-timate'. Saying that, it is hard work to demolish a bathroom - took me a while to do mine, and then you have to get rid of the old (very sharp) tiles, that you have to pay to dispose of.The supply of plumbing pipes seems rather high.6mm cement boards? That sounds really thin, although if they are only used as backing boards for the tiles then it should be ok. Hope the adjoining room isn't a bedroom because you will be able to hear everything with boards that thin.£250 to install the shower? How much is the shower unit by itself? I just bought a fancy looking one from E-bay for £100, they are simple to fit. Connect the Hot/cold in and the mixer out. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Exposed-Concentric-Thermostatic-Shower-Mixer-Valve-Chrome-Twin-Lever-Bath/122954288779?hash=item1ca0a58e8b:g:tVkAAOSwU9xZ5Bkb)

Appreciate all your comments, we’ve got a long list of questions for him now. Hoping to go through everything in the next couple of days. The 6mm is backing boards I believe. Thermostatic shower is £91. There’s a lot to getting a new bathroom, that’s for sure! Thanks everyone x
I fit bathrooms. Firstly ignore all the cost breakdown and just look at the total price, it's not like you can get a separate trade in to swap the basin.

-He should be speccing copper or plastic pipework. The former is far superior to plastic ( a decent trade will be highlighting he uses copper).
-P5 T&G is chipboard, not plywood. Chipboard is never good in a wet environment despite it being moisture resistant.
-6mm cement board is too thin, he should use 12mm (it also matches existing plasterboard then).
-Boxing - A good fitter installs a bathroom with no boxing ( there are very rare occasions when this isn't possible)
-Install tiles - What adhesive is he using (it should always be cement based bagged adhesive). Is he letting you choose the grout colour, and will the silicone match this.
-Ensure the ceiling vent has a condensate drain.

You could save a fair chunk by finding someone not VAT registered. It boils my **** when I see anybody supplying quotes to consumers + VAT - I instantly assume they are trying to deceive the unwary.
themorgatron08/08/2020 06:57

I fit bathrooms. Firstly ignore all the cost breakdown and just look at …I fit bathrooms. Firstly ignore all the cost breakdown and just look at the total price, it's not like you can get a separate trade in to swap the basin.-He should be speccing copper or plastic pipework. The former is far superior to plastic ( a decent trade will be highlighting he uses copper).-P5 T&G is chipboard, not plywood. Chipboard is never good in a wet environment despite it being moisture resistant.-6mm cement board is too thin, he should use 12mm (it also matches existing plasterboard then).-Boxing - A good fitter installs a bathroom with no boxing ( there are very rare occasions when this isn't possible)-Install tiles - What adhesive is he using (it should always be cement based bagged adhesive). Is he letting you choose the grout colour, and will the silicone match this.-Ensure the ceiling vent has a condensate drain.You could save a fair chunk by finding someone not VAT registered. It boils my **** when I see anybody supplying quotes to consumers + VAT - I instantly assume they are trying to deceive the unwary.

Don’t suppose you are in our part of the country to give us a quote! We did ask him for the best grout and silicone as the cheap stuff is rubbish. We will ask about the other things you have highlighted as all these things are great to know so thanks for spending the time replying. Your points are very helpful.
suepooh08/08/2020 08:31

Don’t suppose you are in our part of the country to give us a quote! We d …Don’t suppose you are in our part of the country to give us a quote! We did ask him for the best grout and silicone as the cheap stuff is rubbish. We will ask about the other things you have highlighted as all these things are great to know so thanks for spending the time replying. Your points are very helpful.

I'm not near to you. I don't think the price is unreasonable with the other work. I have no doubt you could get it done for half that price, but the quality will nearly always be much lower (assuming you've verified his workmanship).

As a rough guide I charge ~ £2500 labour & sundries for a bathroom refit - tiling floor to ceiling, inc floors (electrics are usually extra). I'm probably too cheap for the standard I fit to
themorgatron08/08/2020 09:27

I'm not near to you. I don't think the price is unreasonable with the …I'm not near to you. I don't think the price is unreasonable with the other work. I have no doubt you could get it done for half that price, but the quality will nearly always be much lower (assuming you've verified his workmanship). As a rough guide I charge ~ £2500 labour & sundries for a bathroom refit - tiling floor to ceiling, inc floors (electrics are usually extra). I'm probably too cheap for the standard I fit to

Shame you’re not near, quality is important to us and is worth paying more for a good standard.
Very expensive for a basic bathroom, ours was less than that and it was all grohe, chrome towel rail, wall mounted toilet with concealed cistern etc. If it is just swapping out like for like and tiling etc i'd expect no more than £3K.
Azwipe08/08/2020 10:10

Very expensive for a basic bathroom, ours was less than that and it was …Very expensive for a basic bathroom, ours was less than that and it was all grohe, chrome towel rail, wall mounted toilet with concealed cistern etc. If it is just swapping out like for like and tiling etc i'd expect no more than £3K.

Yours sounds nice. We’ve gone for eco back to wall, Stone work surface, Scudo L shape bath, gsi swirl pan, brass flush, ceiling replacement, new floorboards, new door, 3 coordinating sets of tiles. Should look beautiful, just hoping to get the fitting prices down 🤞🏼
There's a new trend to use panels instead of tiles, they avoid expensive tiling, in many cases look better, modern, on trend and are cheaper to fit. Enjoy your new bathroom
Paid 5k all in 18months ago for a new bathroom excluding electrics and painting. Size 3mx3m
Post a comment
@
    Text