Bathroom heater

Found 17th Jan 2013
Hi. We have no heating in our bathroom and I was wondering if I could buy an electric one and plug it into shower socket. But have no idea what sort or if it would even work. Any advice please?
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
MiscBathroomHeater
37 Comments
???? oO
My Mum has got one of these
Your cheapest solution is probably a downflow fan heater, it cant be tapped off the shower circuit!
£15 portable halogen heater + £5 extension cable reel from hallway/bedroom = house not burning down
DarkEnergy2012

£15 portable halogen heater + £5 extension cable reel from h … £15 portable halogen heater + £5 extension cable reel from hallway/bedroom = house not burning down

Really lol?
DarkEnergy2012

£15 portable halogen heater + £5 extension cable reel from h … £15 portable halogen heater + £5 extension cable reel from hallway/bedroom = house not burning down

Lets hope the op doesn't splash around in the bath eh?
Fit a heated towel rail into the bathroom?
It must be so cold.
If you win the lottery, get underfloor heating. That's in my 'lottery win' list of wants X)
jonmmill

Was looking at this … Was looking at this http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod117103

A heated towel rail would be better imo.
Whatever you choose, you will need an electrician to install a fused spur unit.

Please do not run an extension lead into your bathroom., unless you're planning to end it all.

damn, you spotted my deliberate mistake...nothin gets past you guys
what about using those picnic/disposable BBQ trays...nice & cheap, only a pound

transit

Lets hope the op doesn't splash around in the bath eh?

DarkEnergy2012

damn, you spotted my deliberate mistake...nothin gets past you guys … damn, you spotted my deliberate mistake...nothin gets past you guys :pwhat about using those picnic/disposable BBQ trays...nice & cheap, only a pound

Could be cheaper to bag a few old wardrobes from freecycle and set fire to them.
..."I was wondering if I could buy an electric one and plug it into shower socket." Are you serious????? Surely you've been taught that water and electricity don't mix!
What's a shower socket?
You must be joking, or perhaps a troll. Only the most idiotic school drop-out wouldn't know that using electrical products in a room where water is prevalent is a stupid idea. Then again, there was that old dear last week that set up a BBQ in her kitchen to dry her clothes out. Perhaps I overestimate the intelligence of the Great British public...
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 17th Jan 2013
Original Poster
sorry. meant shaver socket.
As said .................do not put any form of electric fire , extension cables etc in a bathroom .Get a wall mounted fan heater fitted to a fused spur or even a heating/lighting bulb .
ricko

As said .................do not put any form of electric fire , extension … As said .................do not put any form of electric fire , extension cables etc in a bathroom .Get a wall mounted fan heater fitted to a fused spur or even a heating/lighting bulb .

See example via link in #2
It would be pathetically stupid and absolutely dangerous to plug anything (except a shaver) into your shaver socket.

Let's try to make this simple - any electrical device that uses a heating element for the bathroom has to be connected to a fused (and rated < meaning the supply and correct fuse should match the electrical appliance) and also switched (unless pull cord fiited) outside of the bathroom. No other socket/plug or switch should be in the bathroom except that shaver point..

I think the OP needs to consult a qualified or competent electrician

Edited by: "philphil61" 17th Jan 2013
Banned
DarkEnergy2012

http://i.minus.com/ibuDNMSbbmczjO.gif
Would really be inclined to fit a heated towel rail, get a leccy to fit it so it comes on when the bathroom light is on, nice warm towels. And it would heat it up nicely.
This is the safest one :

Get one of these and wire the power from the light switch (yes it has a seperate ON switch)

Dimplex 2kW Bathroom Wall Mounted Fan Heater (Dimplex FX20V 2kW)

http://www.airconcentre.co.uk/custom/upload/images/products/1/600x600/FX20V.jpg
Mecoconuts

This is the safest one :Get one of these and wire the power from the … This is the safest one :Get one of these and wire the power from the light switch (yes it has a seperate ON switch)Dimplex 2kW Bathroom Wall Mounted Fan Heater (Dimplex FX20V 2kW)

Would a 2KW heater be okay on a 1.0mm cable with an unknown load on the circuit already.
thesaint

Would a 2KW heater be okay on a 1.0mm cable with an unknown load on the … Would a 2KW heater be okay on a 1.0mm cable with an unknown load on the circuit already.

Yes....a bathroom wall heater is supposed to wired to the lighting circuit anyway (it's also in the instructions for the heater i posted above).

I have the heater above in my bathroom ....its also adjustable between 1kw and 2kw.
I use something similar to this :

alertelectrical.com/pro…ord

..........must be fitted by a competant electrician.
My bathroom in my old house never had heating of any kind, neither did any of the hallways or the spare toilet and it was like a long thin room.
Mecoconuts

This is the safest one :Get one of these and wire the power from the … This is the safest one :Get one of these and wire the power from the light switch (yes it has a seperate ON switch)Dimplex 2kW Bathroom Wall Mounted Fan Heater (Dimplex FX20V 2kW)

You cannot wire that to a light switch, apart from the fact a light switch will not have a neutral wire that heater requires 13a fused spur unit outside the bathroom or a double pole pull switch within.

Ask me how i know........

Edited by: "transit" 18th Jan 2013
thesaint

Would a 2KW heater be okay on a 1.0mm cable with an unknown load on the … Would a 2KW heater be okay on a 1.0mm cable with an unknown load on the circuit already.

The answer is no.
No no no, don't plug anything in your bathroom, either get a celing light with a heater, a portable electric heater, ( plug in hall or bedroom) blow heters are ok but i'd be cautious against having in bathroom incase of splashes. Depending on fianances you could get a plumber to add one form your existing heating
http://static.flickr.com/163/332258935_907702e205.jpg

djnaff

Ewwww soggy toast.
Mecoconuts

Yes....a bathroom wall heater is supposed to wired to the lighting … Yes....a bathroom wall heater is supposed to wired to the lighting circuit anyway (it's also in the instructions for the heater i posted above).I have the heater above in my bathroom ....its also adjustable between 1kw and 2kw.

I urge you to never give advice about electrical matters on this site (or any other site) again. Ignorance isn't an excuse when you give answer with authority.

The vast majority on lighting circuits use 1mm cable - not as a ring - connected to a 6A fuse\MCB - and often run of distances in excess of 30m between distribution and bathroom, and very often through loft spaces where it will be covered in insulation. Such spans would be rated at 8A max. A 2kW heater would exceed this before any other lights had even been taken into account.

It doesn't say anything of the sort in the instructions - it quite clearly states "The supply circuit must be adequate for the input of the appliance and must be protected with a 13A fuse."

Your comments are dangerous and you are a liability.
A calor gas heater would be ok
Original Poster
Think will go for towel rail. How much do electricians charge to fit them?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants