Groups

Bathroom mouldy and paint all came off wat can i do this is a rented property??????

Called agency was told to wipe clean the wall with bleach and if mould comes back then wipe it with anti fungal and then paint it back? also above the celling is all black colour stuff and had to keep wiping. Where do i stand in this situation???? I live in other places and never had such problems like that .... bearing in mind the only wall that is tiles are in the shower cubicle. the rest is just bare walls. also i was told to open the window alot to allow the condensation to go and plus to let the wall dry. arghh..... wat can i do ???? wat are the responsiblities of the landlord or agency???? that wall is an eye sore now...

28 Comments

a dehumidifier should cure it.

Unless it's specified in your contract otherwise, or you have done something specifically to cause the mould, then the agent should arrange to have the repairs done.

Original Poster

barky;4129028

a dehumidifier should cure it.

dehumidifier u mean the one that has to plug in to a wall? how long do i have to turn it on?
    isnt this a pain?:?

Sounds as though water may be getting in from outside.

Is there guttering or a downpipe outside that could be leaking?

Is there a roof above the room that could be leaking?

I doubt if condensation would make the room that bad and feel certain it is coming in from outside.

sharonwai;4129048

dehumidifier u mean the one that has to plug in to a wall? how long do i … dehumidifier u mean the one that has to plug in to a wall? how long do i have to turn it on?isnt this a pain?:?

not a pain at all-we had the same problem and bought one a coupla months ago-you need to run it on full mode for about a fortnight then you can turn it down to maintenance mode to just keep the mould away-it really does work a treat-after the initial 2 weeks at full power you can repaint safely and the mould will not return.

This sounds like a common issue with bathrooms and condensation - not water ingress as guilbert53 suggested, particularly given the fact the mould is present on the walls and ceiling.

You will need to do as the agent suggested, ensure the room is well ventilated - especially after you use the shower/bath, and wipe clean the mould with bleach - as this kills the spores.

Sometimes the original paint used isn't fit for rooms with high moisture content, like bathrooms and kitchens..

I'd imagine that minimal issues like this aren't covered by your tenancy agreement, as basic decoration isn't normally included in maintenance schedules.

i had this in an old flat, I bought a domestos mold and mildue spray which worked pretty well, but once we gave notice to leave the flat we left it, so that the landlords could see how bad it was. i bet they never did anything about it

Original Poster

guilbert53;4129061

Sounds as though water may be getting in from outside.Is there guttering … Sounds as though water may be getting in from outside.Is there guttering or a downpipe outside that could be leaking?Is there a roof above the room that could be leaking?I doubt if condensation would make the room that bad and feel certain it is coming in from outside.

the wall beside the shower cubicle is on the inside wall so could it be the shower cubicle not sealed properly causing the damage?
    the celling is above the windows so its the outside wall and its only all across the above wall outside if u know wat i mean so could it be the roof is leakin?

Banned

barky;4129101

not a pain at all-we had the same problem and bought one a coupla months … not a pain at all-we had the same problem and bought one a coupla months ago-you need to run it on full mode for about a fortnight then you can turn it down to maintenance mode to just keep the mould away-it really does work a treat-after the initial 2 weeks at full power you can repaint safely and the mould will not return.

could you recommend one please, i have a lot of condensation in my house and have been thinking about getting one, would i need one for ever room, or do you move it about?

Original Poster

moob;4129140

This sounds like a common issue with bathrooms and condensation - not … This sounds like a common issue with bathrooms and condensation - not water ingress as guilbert53 suggested, particularly given the fact the mould is present on the walls and ceiling.You will need to do as the agent suggested, ensure the room is well ventilated - especially after you use the shower/bath, and wipe clean the mould with bleach - as this kills the spores.Sometimes the original paint used isn't fit for rooms with high moisture content, like bathrooms and kitchens..I'd imagine that minimal issues like this aren't covered by your tenancy agreement, as basic decoration isn't normally included in maintenance schedules.

so in this case isnt it the responsibility of the agency to sort the wall if in the first place the paint used isnt fit for the bathroom?

yeh we had this problem in a flat. nobody would take us seriously. we tried everything so in the end we just left

sassie;4129184

could you recommend one please, i have a lot of condensation in my house … could you recommend one please, i have a lot of condensation in my house and have been thinking about getting one, would i need one for ever room, or do you move it about?

We use this one which we got from John Lewis, used the wedding vouchers to buy it :thumbsup:

argos.co.uk/web…%3E

Should see the amount of water it sucks out the air, be careful though or it will dry the air out too much, just put it in a central location in the house or nearer the problem area if you want it to work quicker on that area.

sharonwai;4129189

so in this case isnt it the responsibility of the agency to sort the … so in this case isnt it the responsibility of the agency to sort the wall if in the first place the paint used isnt fit for the bathroom?

I'd doubt it, sorry.

You would struggle to be able to prove this. It would be a lot less hassle for you to simply do as the agent said.

I'd wager my car on the fact you have condensation and not dampness.

Original Poster

moob;4129226

I'd doubt it, sorry.You would struggle to be able to prove this. It would … I'd doubt it, sorry.You would struggle to be able to prove this. It would be a lot less hassle for you to simply do as the agent said. I'd wager my car on the fact you have condensation and not dampness.

hmmm dunno if my husband will do it....hmm

sharonwai;4129337

hmmm dunno if my husband will do it....hmm

Give him a kick up the backside! :lol:

Original Poster

moob;4129359

Give him a kick up the backside! :lol:

he wont do it because he dont agree with the agency....
    :?

Banned

esq3585;4129220

We use this one which we got from John Lewis, used the wedding vouchers … We use this one which we got from John Lewis, used the wedding vouchers to buy it :thumbsup:http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=dem+10&Submit=GO+%3EShould see the amount of water it sucks out the air, be careful though or it will dry the air out too much, just put it in a central location in the house or nearer the problem area if you want it to work quicker on that area.

Thanks, are these big things, it looks small:?

ok ignore me, just spotted the dimensions, quite small then, wouldnt it get kicked over all the time, havent really got anywhwere it wouldnt probably get kicked

What does ecological gas mean on the dehumidifier linked on Argos,posted above?

to clean the mould off use domestos grotbuster, it works wonders. leave on for half an hour then clean off. As for the mould reappearing the fan obviously isn't working or big enough, or maybe not set to run long enough. sort out the fan and you will sort out your problem.

ring Citizens Advice and ask them-you have rights as a tenant-and the place you live in has to be habitable-you are paying remember !

sassie;4129463

Thanks, are these big things, it looks small:?ok ignore me, just spotted … Thanks, are these big things, it looks small:?ok ignore me, just spotted the dimensions, quite small then, wouldnt it get kicked over all the time, havent really got anywhwere it wouldnt probably get kicked

You couldnt kick this over it weighs a ton lol. :thumbsup:
    We have this is in the hall outside the toilet in our bungalow and it is solid.

http://i41.tinypic.com/33jhlhi.jpg[/IMG]

Banned

I had the same problem in my old flat. Kept the window open at all times, humidifier didnt help me and eventually the wallpaper just started to peel off. Also notices little black spots on the outside of the bathroom wall, and emailed them everyday to come and sort the problem. It looks horrible and the landlord/agency SHOULD do something about it.

Mine didnt and a few months down the line my ceiling fell in because the whole flat was damp. I moved out, because Touchestone the company were useless. Keep on at them there is only so many times you can bleach the walls....

moob;4129226

I'd doubt it, sorry.You would struggle to be able to prove this. It would … I'd doubt it, sorry.You would struggle to be able to prove this. It would be a lot less hassle for you to simply do as the agent said. I'd wager my car on the fact you have condensation and not dampness.

So would I, condensation will only be cured by good ventilation, or a change in temperature of the causal factors.

esq3585;4129220

We use this one which we got from John Lewis, used the wedding vouchers … We use this one which we got from John Lewis, used the wedding vouchers to buy it :thumbsup:http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=dem+10&Submit=GO+%3EShould see the amount of water it sucks out the air, be careful though or it will dry the air out too much, just put it in a central location in the house or nearer the problem area if you want it to work quicker on that area.

yep-thats the exact one we bought-was reccomended to me on another hukd thread-its a fantastic piece of equipment.

sharonwai;4129415

he wont do it because he dont agree with the agency....:?

You will need to review your tenancy agreement and see if there is a stipulation in the contract about this type of repair. I would doubt it, I've never seen this is 8 years in my job.

If it isn't, I'm afraid your hubby is gonna have to repair it, as you legally, you won't have a leg to stand on.

Edit: Just to be 100%sure you don't have any dampness, have an EHO call round and stick a Protimeter (dampness meter) into the affected walls - that way, if it doesn't give a significant reading, you can be sure it is condensation.

Original Poster

moob;4131186

You will need to review your tenancy agreement and see if there is a … You will need to review your tenancy agreement and see if there is a stipulation in the contract about this type of repair. I would doubt it, I've never seen this is 8 years in my job.If it isn't, I'm afraid your hubby is gonna have to repair it, as you legally, you won't have a leg to stand on.Edit: Just to be 100%sure you don't have any dampness, have an EHO call round and stick a Protimeter (dampness meter) into the affected walls - that way, if it doesn't give a significant reading, you can be sure it is condensation.

we did not even get a tenancy agreement with this agency ,,, am i crazy or waT?
    we sign agreement but we did not get a copy.

sharonwai;4131854

we did not even get a tenancy agreement with this agency ,,, am i crazy … we did not even get a tenancy agreement with this agency ,,, am i crazy or waT?we sign agreement but we did not get a copy.

Ask for a copy of it then - they are required to give you a copy by Law.

My bathroom was similar, no ventilation was the cause.

Leave the door open when not in use,
    open windows after shower/bathing
    paint with "bathroom" paint (resistant to damp)

Sorted!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246

See more discussions