Groups

bathrooms suite advice

right guys, need some advice of bathrooms suites, reputable places who have good quality products and any issues I should be looking out for where the whole thing gets fitted.

I know one advice wassomething about filling the bath with water then silicone/tile around it(or something like that. im intending to have a 4 piece suite(bathtub, walk in shower, toilet and sink). never had a walk in shower before so anything I should be wary of and mention to the fitters? in a ideal world I'd trust tradesmen but these days I feel I need to mention specific things to make sure they cant turn around and say 'well you didn't say xyz'.

any practical advice will be accepted

thanks

12 Comments

try good local independents, they can give good advice and may be able to suggest plumbers etc. Avoid the big diy sheds especially one with an & in it, poor quality. Things like taps can be expensive but bargains can be found on ebay. Make sure your boiler can give the output for a shower you want, nothing worse than poor pressure, if you go for electric go for the bigger ones but make sure you have the right cables to allow it. On tiles have a look around, there are lots of independents around us but widening the net to the next county we found places with more choice and better quality and most of all cheaper.

Original Poster

eslick

try good local independents, they can give good advice and may be able to … try good local independents, they can give good advice and may be able to suggest plumbers etc. Avoid the big diy sheds especially one with an & in it, poor quality. Things like taps can be expensive but bargains can be found on ebay. Make sure your boiler can give the output for a shower you want, nothing worse than poor pressure, if you go for electric go for the bigger ones but make sure you have the right cables to allow it. On tiles have a look around, there are lots of independents around us but widening the net to the next county we found places with more choice and better quality and most of all cheaper.

in terms of quality, how can you tell?

if you fill the bath half full, silicone it, then let it cure before draining, the silicone won't tear over time when someone gets in it and the bath moves. If you want the pipework to be as attractive as possible, ask them to solder the pipes, not use speedfit connectors that look fugly when on show.
    Try and tile any wall that is in the splash zones and definitely in the shower area. If you don't already have one, get an extractor fan installed.
    As for choice of suite, you can get plastic tubs from Screwfix all the way up to cast iron freestanding baths from bathstore.com, depends on your budget and taste.
    Remember most suites don't come with taps, so include that in your budget, my personal preference is Moretti as I they are the only taps (bath and basin) that haven't worn out in my house!

EN1GMA

Price, usually.

Original Poster

moneybag

if you fill the bath half full, silicone it, then let it cure before … if you fill the bath half full, silicone it, then let it cure before draining, the silicone won't tear over time when someone gets in it and the bath moves. If you want the pipework to be as attractive as possible, ask them to solder the pipes, not use speedfit connectors that look fugly when on show.Try and tile any wall that is in the splash zones and definitely in the shower area. If you don't already have one, get an extractor fan installed.As for choice of suite, you can get plastic tubs from Screwfix all the way up to cast iron freestanding baths from bathstore.com, depends on your budget and taste.Remember most suites don't come with taps, so include that in your budget, my personal preference is Moretti as I they are the only taps (bath and basin) that haven't worn out in my house!

cure it? thanks for the post

so bathstore items are quality products? what about Victoria plumb? see them advertised a lot on the web with decent prices.
    Edited by: "EN1GMA" 15th Sep 2016

"Introduction
    There are several types of curing mechanisms involved in the field of room temperature vulcanising (RTV) silicone sealants. They are normally described in terms of the small amount of the chemical produced during reaction with atmospheric moisture that allows the crosslinking mechanisms to occur, leading to the formation of an elastic and relatively tough silicone rubber."
    intertronics.co.uk/art…htm

be a bit wary of baths that sit on floor inside a shell as when ours was fitted only way to fit waste pipes was by removing part of ceiling in kitchen underneath.

EN1GMA

for baths check for thickness of the bath itself, how its moulded to the wooden panel underneath inside fibre glass or outside, same with shower trays. chinaware there probably isn't much difference than the design. taps and the likes of toilet internals are difficult to judge, about 14 years ago we paid lots of money for a sheds bathroom, taps broke after a couple of years and the internal of the toilets even less, ended up replacing them with other parts. we ended up redoing the bathroom about 4 years ago due to the poor quality of the sheds materials and bought an expensive set of taps when one started leak after 3 years found the same design on ebay for a fraction of the price, weighs more than the original, seems to have better chroming and has ceramic washers which the other didn't which I had missed when we bought it.

We run a plumbing business and many of our customers use us to supply their chosen sanitary ware from our suppliers at discounted rates. I would suggest looking at plumbers merchants for your suite as they can order from various manufacturers and aren't tied to their 'own brand.' I would avoid those places you have mentioned due to poor quality and items arriving defective or with bits missing.

Some decent manufacturers include Roper Rhodes and Eastbrook.

Some decent merchants include HPS, PTS, Plumbase and City Plumbing depending on where you're located.

Some merchants have showrooms with items on display for you to look at.

One other point if you use your plumber to supply as well as fit, is that there is no argument over responsibility if anything goes wrong. You don't have the scenario where the plumber blames the goods and the supplier of the goods blames the plumber! One port of call for everything!

Also, many bathroom installers and tilers get a discount at merchants so ask your installer for their recommendation for tile shops where they have a discount you could use, or again for then to supply your chosen tiles.

Good luck with your project

I looked on mybuilder.co.uk and found a plumber from reviews posted so would recommend this. With the suite go for something with a 25 year warranty then you know you will be buying quality i read some reviews about the cheaper stuff chipping so it will pay to spend a bit more. a few good makes RAK, Twyford, Ideal Standard, shower tray Just Trays or Mira, taps Heritage, Bristan, Vado. I got all my prices from the net then went in to city plumbing and they matched all the prices tiles also. They are owned by Travis Perkins who own quite a few companies.

Avoid Better Bathrooms at all costs!!

If you have a Chrome radiator make sure it's Stainless Steel so it won't rust.

Avoid Ideal standard, we spent a fortune on it but found it chips easy and metal fittings rust.If I did it again I would get a cheaper bathroom suite.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 2 for 1 at Alton Towers this weekend?22
      2. Sky45
      3. Why do people scam on Gumtree?55
      4. HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree1521

See more discussions