Battery confusion--Makita

Posted 2nd Apr
Hoping someone can clear the mud for me, I purchased this Makita bundle CLX214X1 but it only had the hoover in it, I thought the battery I had would fit, alas, it did not, and so far its been in my shed in the box. Can someone tell me exactly what battery it needs, or if more than 1 type would fit it what are they? Can I get a 'generic' version, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks guys/gals

Wingy
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Can you post a picture of your battery please and also a picture of your hoover where it shows the model number please.
Not 'fully' understanding your question, Wingy. It was a "bundle" so it should have had the drill AND the vacuum cleaner - with a battery that fits both tools. Usually, older batteries from other models WON'T fit newer tools. This is by design and so you have to buy more tools/batteries. Things are getting better now as some manufacturers like Ryobi etc. are making "will fit" batteries to go with their "range" of tool bodies.

Cross-manufacturer; of course; they tend to make batteries a 'proprietary' fit - as they don't want you getting a battery from somewhere else for their tools. You can; however; with a bit of tinkering, make them fit. This isn't a simple (or recommended) task if you don't know what you are doing.

You can always check places like Ebay for a cheap "will fit" battery that has been copied by China but there is no guarantee of quality/longevity etc. so be careful. Try searching for Makita and the model number of the tool (not the kit number) and see what's available perhaps?

All the best, Phsy.
Haircut_10002/04/2020 11:05

Can you post a picture of your battery please and also a picture of your …Can you post a picture of your battery please and also a picture of your hoover where it shows the model number please.

Seems to be these:
ffx.co.uk/too…Kit

This CXT 2 piece kit comprises HP331D 10.8v combi drill and CL106FD 10.8v CXT Li-ion Vacuum Cleaner.
Wingy - did you buy this "kit" secondhand by chance? Is that why it only had the hoover? The kit I mention above suggests it even comes with TWO batteries. The model number of the battery in question is:

BL1015 - 10.8V
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 2nd Apr
Phsycronix02/04/2020 11:14

Seems to be …Seems to be these:https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Makita-Clx214X1-0088381850575-10.8V-Cxt-2X1.5Ah-Li-Ion-Combo-KitThis CXT 2 piece kit comprises HP331D 10.8v combi drill and CL106FD 10.8v CXT Li-ion Vacuum Cleaner.

I'm wondering if the OP is trying to fit an LXT battery in to a CXT tool.
You can buy higher rated batteries: BL1041 (4Ah) for example.

Looking on Ebay, plenty "will fits" from China/Hong Kong (as expected!) but they will be a "pays your money - takes your chance" job. I won't recommend them as last time I did, others chastised me about it! Haha. They are there if you care to look though...
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 2nd Apr
Haircut_10002/04/2020 11:25

I'm wondering if the OP is trying to fit an LXT battery in to a CXT tool.

Maybe, HC100 but I guess the moulded shell would have prevented this eh? Usually designed like that, of course. I've attached leads before to a different battery so it could fit another tool - observing the rating of course - and had success. It's not ideal however.
Phsycronix02/04/2020 11:18

Wingy - did you buy this "kit" secondhand by chance? Is that why it only …Wingy - did you buy this "kit" secondhand by chance? Is that why it only had the hoover? The kit I mention above suggests it even comes with TWO batteries. The model number of the battery in question is:BL1015 - 10.8V

Sorry for the delay, it came up on hukd, so whilst it is in a box bundle, it was 'hoover only' so no batteries etc I'll post a pic of the box etc
40261511-KztTW.jpg40261511-IFyY8.jpg
Just found these guys. Seems a good price and the site has seemingly genuine info - contact/shop address etc.

fastfix.co.uk/mak…tml

A quick look suggests a £6.95 delivery fee but £27 for a genuine battery still sounds good - and better than a "chance" will-fit from Ebay!
Really? This was on HUKD's? What as? A deal - or just someone posted it as an Ebay jobbie?
I have a makita impact wrench I thought the battery I had would fit, but it's too big to even slot into the battery slot, as I said before, it was part of a deal I stumbled across on here, it was hoover only as it says on the box, so no batteries etc
Puzzled.

You bought a Makita "bundle" - that actually was a hoover only - no drill, no batteries. I hope it was REALLY cheap!
Phsycronix02/04/2020 12:13

Really? This was on HUKD's? What as? A deal - or just someone posted it as …Really? This was on HUKD's? What as? A deal - or just someone posted it as an Ebay jobbie?

It was a deal, I remember getting it from amazon. I though bonus if my battery I had fitted, it would zip about upstairs instead of lugging Hetty up the stairs, but that backfired and I forgot about it until I saw a deal for a battery on here today
hotukdeals.com/dea…408. I think it was this deal, and obviously this is the box it came in
wingmirror02/04/2020 12:19

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/makita-cl106fdz-vacuum-cleaner-108-v-blue-1995-at-amazon-3291408. I think it was this deal, and obviously this is the box it came in

Yes. I just found it myself. The last comment does state that it is for CXT batteries only.
Phsycronix02/04/2020 12:23

Yes. I just found it myself. The last comment does state that it is for …Yes. I just found it myself. The last comment does state that it is for CXT batteries only.

I don't know what CXT batteries are can you send me a good priced one please
I guess now, the only issue would be if it's duff. No battery means you haven't been able to test it and a lot of time has passed since purchase. I don't suppose you know anyone (and yes, I do realise you can't make unnecessary trips at the moment) who might have a battery to test - or (when you can) take the body to a shop like Homebase etc. and cheekily ask them if you could pop a battery in? I'd hate to go and buy a £30 battery - only to find the tool itself is defunct...
wingmirror02/04/2020 12:26

I don't know what CXT batteries are can you send me a good priced one …I don't know what CXT batteries are can you send me a good priced one please

I did.

The model number for your battery is a BL1015. This is a CXT battery. As @Haircut_100 said, your battery is an LXT (or other, older tech) and therefore doesn't fit. Ironically, it would probably power it ok but of course the build design makes it impossible to attach.
Incredibly valid point! We don't have a home base near by, we have a b&q, so I'll hold off buying one until I can get there and try it. Saves buying one, the unit being a duff and having to return the battery.
Thank you
The problem with these "bare bones" offers is by the time you add on the cost of a battery, it takes the shine off the "bargain" price you paid. I know; in your case; you thought you might have been able to fit your own battery so it's not totally your fault. This is where doing your 'homework' pays dividends though!

Lidl/Aldi are prime culprits for this. Charge monkey-nuts for the tool WITHOUT a battery - then charge (usually) more for the battery AND another load of coin for a charger.
Phsycronix02/04/2020 12:36

The problem with these "bare bones" offers is by the time you add on the …The problem with these "bare bones" offers is by the time you add on the cost of a battery, it takes the shine off the "bargain" price you paid. I know; in your case; you thought you might have been able to fit your own battery so it's not totally your fault. This is where doing your 'homework' pays dividends though!Lidl/Aldi are prime culprits for this. Charge monkey-nuts for the tool WITHOUT a battery - then charge (usually) more for the battery AND another load of coin for a charger.

Next time I'll know to check and double check. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it
wingmirror02/04/2020 12:30

Incredibly valid point! We don't have a home base near by, we have a b&q, …Incredibly valid point! We don't have a home base near by, we have a b&q, so I'll hold off buying one until I can get there and try it. Saves buying one, the unit being a duff and having to return the battery.Thank you

No problem. I just like to think "outside the box" and err on the side of caution. It would be really horrid to go to the trouble of obtaining a battery - only to find out the tool itself doesn't work!

I will not recommend doing this to you as you could damage the tool irreparably but I will mention it as an option. If your battery is a 10.8v (or similar power) one, you could attach a wire from the terminals to the terminals on the tool. this would provide power to fire up the hoover as a test. You do have to make sure that you get the correct polarity and it goes without saying that personal safety MUST be considered - i.e. eye and hand protection. As I say, if you are not confident in this - DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that Lithium Ion batteries CAN EXPLODE.
Phsycronix02/04/2020 12:46

No problem. I just like to think "outside the box" and err on the side of …No problem. I just like to think "outside the box" and err on the side of caution. It would be really horrid to go to the trouble of obtaining a battery - only to find out the tool itself doesn't work!I will not recommend doing this to you as you could damage the tool irreparably but I will mention it as an option. If your battery is a 10.8v (or similar power) one, you could attach a wire from the terminals to the terminals on the tool. this would provide power to fire up the hoover as a test. You do have to make sure that you get the correct polarity and it goes without saying that personal safety MUST be considered - i.e. eye and hand protection. As I say, if you are not confident in this - DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.I'm sure I don't have to tell you that Lithium Ion batteries CAN EXPLODE.

My skills are very limited to changing a plug, so I highly doubt I could do anything like that safely!
Just an aside: did this vacuum cleaner come with a charger? I bet it didn't, did it? In that case, you'll need a charger too. It's starting to not seem such a bargain now...

This deal is on here now: hotukdeals.com/dea…946

I guess you could swallow hard, buy it and then you'd have a drill - two batteries - charger - and a spare hoover for less than £80. Could then bang the hoover and battery on Gumtree to get some money back? I don't know...
I think this is a lost cause now, because no, I do not have a charger I may bite the bullet and buy the set, like you said atleast I've got the whole lot then, I may give the spare hoover to my nan (if it works) and charge the battery for her when she needs it. It'll be plenty light enough for her to manage, happy birthday nan
Thank you, once again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions