Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

battery Impact drill/driver

Posted 17th Dec 2019
Hi

My husband wants an impact driver for xmas, he will be doing stud wall, plasterboard etc he is a builder. Can anyone recommend which one to buy, Was hoping to win the flamedeer voucher to pay some towards it lol

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
What other tools does he have in which brand? Most builders now stick to one brand as the batteries and powerpack charger are interchangeable so you only need a couple of batteries for say 3-5 tools... Plus if he is a builder, he probably has a good idea of what quality/brand he would like? For example, I buy Makita or Bosch but thats for home DIY not commercial use.
Is he already invested in one manufacturers ecosystem?

I ask because they all use different batteries and you can buy the tools minus the battery,
Does he own other battery power tools of a specific brand? If so, and already has a charger and battery/batteries. Then getting a same brand and power, tool on its own could be cheaper.
To answer. Ryobi ONE+ impact starter kit. Then take up the free tool offer before 31st dec. Brilliant kit. Loads of tools can be added...
As said above, the best thing to do is to look at which manufacturers system he'd like to buy in to and see what tools he already has. The popular systems are Makita, Bosch Professional (aka Bosch Blue), Dewalt, or Ryobi maybe also Workx/Positec and Einhell. It's a good idea to look and see what other pieces of equipment you might like to add to your collection over time, for example if you were to buy a Makita 18v drill and driver set you could then at a later point buy a cordless 18v Makita jigsaw or sander on its own without a battery (known as a 'bare tool') rather than buying the jigsaw in a set with a battery and charger so saving you money each time you want to add something to the collection.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 17th Dec 2019
bluep17/12/2019 11:23

Plus if he is a builder, he probably has a good idea of what quality/brand …Plus if he is a builder, he probably has a good idea of what quality/brand he would like

For this reason I would just ask him which one he wants rather than choosing yourself.
Gormond17/12/2019 11:23

Is he already invested in one manufacturers ecosystem?I ask because they …Is he already invested in one manufacturers ecosystem?I ask because they all use different batteries and you can buy the tools minus the battery,

He has Milwaukee, Makita and dewalt
Milwaukee probably most expensive, does he want 18v or 12v ?
The most important is the site radio , has he got one?
I own a Makita DTD154Z, and cannot fault it. It has variable speed, and it just ploughs through stuff, from putting up placterboard to studwork using large screws. Should get it for around the £100 ish mark if you look hard enough.
7ommy.7817/12/2019 13:49

Milwaukee probably most expensive, does he want 18v or 12v ?

18V I bought them for him so I know that is right
airfix17/12/2019 13:52

The most important is the site radio , has he got one?

He has a Dewalt DAB radio
I have a very large selection of tools, Bosch , Makita, DeWalt. I can honestly say that DeWalt has always come on top over the years. Have plenty of broken Bosch blue and Makita tools. I know will only try and buy DeWalt. 1 as they are more competitive then Bosch, Batteries are easily sourced original and copies. Seem to last longer then the other 2 manufacturers and seem to be built better. And I was always brought up that Bosch was the best when I was young but since have moved away from that. But that's my preference. So it's DeWalt for me. I know Screwfix did have a good offer over black Friday. Also check out Ffx tools. If you do want to get it cheaper wait for the pound to rise and dollar to drop and normally with the import and duty charges applied on eBay etc it's a lot cheaper from the states at times. The USA model 20v batteries are the same as the 18v UK ones. The only difference is they have the 110v charger and UK is 230v so you have to use a UK charger to charge the batteries. There Flexvolt range seems to be ahead of other manufacturers.
Edited by: "kash2013" 17th Dec 2019
hubcms17/12/2019 14:04

I own a Makita DTD154Z, and cannot fault it. It has variable speed, and …I own a Makita DTD154Z, and cannot fault it. It has variable speed, and it just ploughs through stuff, from putting up placterboard to studwork using large screws. Should get it for around the £100 ish mark if you look hard enough.

Got one thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants