Battery storage for solar PV

Found 5th JunEdited by:"ccnp"
Have had solar since 2011 and have looked at various points for a battery system to optimise the use of our generated power by keeping it onsite.

Tesla Powerwall looked half decent but was never financially viable (an approach to making the decision that I understand Mr Musk finds unhelpful).

I recently looked at the Sonnen announcement and it looks closer to the Tesla 'solution' space but still needs work.

Has anyone here installed or researched battery storage?
Community Updates
17 Comments
Nissan Solar recently launched in UK.
terriclarkfan5 m ago

Nissan Solar recently launched in UK.

Yup. All I could see was a doubling of the return and doubling of the install price over the Gen 1 product. Am I missing something?
Edited by: "ccnp" 5th Jun
Have you looked at ikeas offering
I've also had panels since 2011. I last looked at battery options I guess 12 months ago and concluded it would be an interesting technical project there would never be a positive return. I was even thinking of a simple 12V car battery type system just to run the house lighting on 12V DC - but even that was too expensive.

I assume that you will have a Solar iBoost (or equivalent) marlec.co.uk/pro…463 - I installed one in 2014 and it paid for itself in around 22 months on my gas savings - I have a large hot water cylinder with a low level immersion element so effectively have 'free' hot water for 6-8 months of the year - the amount of electricity I export to the grid is now minimal.
Van197318 m ago

I've also had panels since 2011. I last looked at battery options I …I've also had panels since 2011. I last looked at battery options I guess 12 months ago and concluded it would be an interesting technical project there would never be a positive return. I was even thinking of a simple 12V car battery type system just to run the house lighting on 12V DC - but even that was too expensive.I assume that you will have a Solar iBoost (or equivalent) https://www.marlec.co.uk/product/solar-iboost/?v=79cba1185463 - I installed one in 2014 and it paid for itself in around 22 months on my gas savings - I have a large hot water cylinder with a low level immersion element so effectively have 'free' hot water for 6-8 months of the year - the amount of electricity I export to the grid is now minimal.

Nice to know there are more of us out there.

Sounds very similar. Yes, I use the iBoost and also have Economy 7. I even did the maths for using economy 7 to charge the powerwall (in winter) for daytime use. Clutching at straws.

I have direct mains pressure water and a 250l tank but with the heater half way up. I need to search on eScam for the dual or low heater version of it.

Yes, I looked at 12v as well and it didn't work. I hope to build a house one day and will think seriously about running a 12v lighting circuit. Of course, if Putin turns off the gas, there will be 12v wiring hanging from the joists in no time and a pile of lead acids in the garage!

I keep reading about step changes in battery tech and i guess that's whats really needed.
Dannyrobbo44 m ago

Have you looked at ikeas offering

Thanks - I didn't know they were offering such systems.

Just ran a quote for me and it appears the battery option for my roof would be in the order of £3900. My system generates about 3800 kWh/year - assuming 50% of that is currently exported and could all be stored within an Ikea battery system (which of course it couldn't) at 12p/kWh that is worth £228/year - hence a +17 year payback - which of be beyond the useful life of the batteries.

There are no technical specs for the battery system that I can see so I expect in reality it would be something like a >50 year payback.
ccnp24 m ago

Nice to know there are more of us out there.Sounds very similar. Yes, I …Nice to know there are more of us out there.Sounds very similar. Yes, I use the iBoost and also have Economy 7. I even did the maths for using economy 7 to charge the powerwall (in winter) for daytime use. Clutching at straws.I have direct mains pressure water and a 250l tank but with the heater half way up. I need to search on eScam for the dual or low heater version of it.Yes, I looked at 12v as well and it didn't work. I hope to build a house one day and will think seriously about running a 12v lighting circuit. Of course, if Putin turns off the gas, there will be 12v wiring hanging from the joists in no time and a pile of lead acids in the garage!I keep reading about step changes in battery tech and i guess that's whats really needed.

Agree with the need some step change in technology (pricing) - or some Government incentive!

Guess like me you will be on the original FIT scheme - I estimate mine has now returned 120% of the original purchase price from the FIT payments and savings from reduced (electric and gas) usage with 17.5 years remaining!
Van19733 h, 28 m ago

Agree with the need some step change in technology (pricing) - or some …Agree with the need some step change in technology (pricing) - or some Government incentive! Guess like me you will be on the original FIT scheme - I estimate mine has now returned 120% of the original purchase price from the FIT payments and savings from reduced (electric and gas) usage with 17.5 years remaining!

I can see the reason the government subsidising solar panels but what reasoning would there be for doing the same for a battery.
Dannyrobbo1 h, 37 m ago

I can see the reason the government subsidising solar panels but what …I can see the reason the government subsidising solar panels but what reasoning would there be for doing the same for a battery.

None at all - but logic is not always a necessity for Government initiatives! For example .... diesel cars!
Van19731 h, 12 m ago

None at all - but logic is not always a necessity for Government …None at all - but logic is not always a necessity for Government initiatives! For example .... diesel cars!

Diesel cars for anybody doing decent mileage are far more economic than petrol they use less fuel for the same performance, I don’t know anybody else who actually bought a diesel car thinking it was good for the environment.

that being said there was perfect logic at the time, while they were trying to reduce Co2 and helping a struggling car industry. They will just move onto the next big scam with EV’s and push the emissions elsewhere.
I looked into this recently too. The Tesla solution is about double the capacity of the competition. The Eton\Nissan solution is far less cost effective. Even for the recycled option.
The closest I can see this being viable is to buy a storage solution with an additional Solar installation, to get 5% VAT as opposed to 20% making the extra solar almost free. Though not tied into existing system.
Also the Powerwall, would need to charge of economy 7. Which it can’t do until about August I believe, automatically anyway.
We need a big price drop for these to ever be cost effective. It will come but probably not before they ditch Cobalt use in the battery manufacture.
Dannyrobbo4 h, 22 m ago

I can see the reason the government subsidising solar panels but what …I can see the reason the government subsidising solar panels but what reasoning would there be for doing the same for a battery.

Look at this in the same light (pun intended) as the move to low energy light bulbs. It saved the country from building approx 2 big power stations. Individually, its chicken s. Collectively, it's a real national benefit.
ccnp47 m ago

Look at this in the same light (pun intended) as the move to low energy …Look at this in the same light (pun intended) as the move to low energy light bulbs. It saved the country from building approx 2 big power stations. Individually, its chicken s. Collectively, it's a real national benefit.

Low energy light bulbs are not subsidised by the government and I highly doubt a battery will be either.
On YouTube, there some people doing their own DIY solutions, using salvaged cells
Dannyrobbo17 h, 8 m ago

Low energy light bulbs are not subsidised by the government and I highly …Low energy light bulbs are not subsidised by the government and I highly doubt a battery will be either.

True, bulbs are not subsidised. The govt legislated to make the sale of incandescent bulbs illegal. Game over to a greater or lesser degree. You can still buy old bulbs but they are imports, often dodgy and very expensive to run.
ccnp45 m ago

True, bulbs are not subsidised. The govt legislated to make the sale of …True, bulbs are not subsidised. The govt legislated to make the sale of incandescent bulbs illegal. Game over to a greater or lesser degree. You can still buy old bulbs but they are imports, often dodgy and very expensive to run.

And this is relevant to government subsidised batteries how?
Dannyrobbo5 m ago

And this is relevant to government subsidised batteries how?

Wish I had never mentioned it (as a tongue in cheek comment)!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants