Battle of The 32-37" LCD Tellies!

15 replies
Found 12th Apr 2008
Hey people.

I'm looking to buy a TV of said nature this weekend. I currently have three models in mind which I've been looking at, but of course I'm open to other deals.

PANASONIC TX-32LMD70 - panasonic.laskys.com/lcd…D70

SAMSUNG 37" LE37R87BDX/XEU HD Ready Freeview Widescreen LCD TV
play.com/Ele…nre

TOSHIBA Regza 37" 37XV503DB HD 1080p Freeview Widescreen LCD TV
play.com/Ele…tml

I'm on Quidco so I can use that. I'll be using the TV for SD television, but for HD gaming on Xbox 360. My limit is £500, but I can stretch to £550 if a good deal is in that bracket (using play vouchers and quidco I could get the toshiba down to close to that.)

Please help!

1. Misc
  2. LCD TV
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. LCD TV
15 Comments

Welcome to HotUKDeals ]MarkGWebster

All of these TVs have a good reputation. The Panasonic is a bit ugly looking and the Samsungs tend to have a good reputation for their HD performance. The Toshibas generally have an excellent reputation for their SD performance. I'm not familiar with the XV model but have seen the 37c3035db (which is good aside from when you view at an angle of greater than 30 degrees).

You could have a look on the AV forums and see if there is any more information.
avforums.com/for…155

This is a good site for checking prices of the more popular models.
lcd-tv-prices.co.uk/
You can get the 37c for £480 from Digital Direct in Bolton digitaldirect.co.uk/pro…107 but delivery is £30 or £509 delivered from sound and vision soundandvisiononline.com/mor…107

Check out Currys at the moment. A friend of mine has the Panasonic 32LXD700 and swears by it. It has a better contrast ratio than the LMD and an extra HDMI slot. I know you are going to use yours for SD TV but better to future proof for when you move up to an upscaler DVD player or full blown Blu-Ray.

Currys are doing this TV for £549 which is a great price. Thinking about it I don't know if anyone has posted this deal yet.

Original Poster

Cheers guys,

That's a big help. I know Which? magazine listed the Toshiba Gari mentioned as one of their best buys for 37" LCD.

I compared the XV and the C series here: pricerunner.co.uk/pc/…002

The main difference is that the XV is 1080p, and has a much, much better contrast ratio. There's no mention of a pixel response time though on either that site or the Toshiba site itself: home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/con…ent

Next mission: Convincing my gf that Toshiba are a good make and their products won't fall apart after a few days!

You can get the Samsung LE37R87BDX for £510 with a 5 year warranty. Obviously it's slightly more expensive than the price at Play, but it's easily worth it. I got one a few weeks ago from Richer Sounds, pricematching Teleland.

Original Poster

jbarnett;1878661

You can get the Samsung LE37R87BDX for £510 with a 5 year warranty. … You can get the Samsung LE37R87BDX for £510 with a 5 year warranty. Obviously it's slightly more expensive than the price at Play, but it's easily worth it. I got one a few weeks ago from Richer Sounds, pricematching Teleland.

J, I tried that actually, but because Teleland is an RTB warranty and Richer Sounds are on-site warranty, they wouldnt price match.

Great avatar btw, we love the Biff here.

I also plumped for the Sammy and rate it, welcome to the site

Original Poster

its Marc;1878796

I also plumped for the Sammy and rate it, welcome to the site

Cheers, very welcoming aren't you lot?!

Yeah the Samsung does seem a good option. But then do I get it for £450 from play.com with standard warranty, or for £535 with 5 years warranty (albeit return-to-base) from Teleland.

Christ, this is difficult

I got mine from play, extended warrantys arent worth the paper they are printed on in my opinion, i'd rather do without and put the money i'd have wasted towards a replacement if need be.

MarkGWebster;1878743

J, I tried that actually, but because Teleland is an RTB warranty and … J, I tried that actually, but because Teleland is an RTB warranty and Richer Sounds are on-site warranty, they wouldnt price match.Great avatar btw, we love the Biff here.

I guess I got lucky...to be honest I wasn't expecting to get it pricematched in the first place! £535 is still an alright price for a 5 year warranty I guess.

Mon the Biffy :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Gone with the dark horse and ordered the Tosh. £545 not bad for it tbh.

One of my mates went for the bravia of play.com

If you are really wanting good advice on TV's, check out the 'Which' website. Comsumer experts.
We have just bought a Panasonic 32" LXD70.

You are right I would purchase in this order for best quality; Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba.

If you search good enough you can buy a quality TV for the right amount of money. I do know that Panasonic have bought out their 2008 range (LZD80), therfore would invest in a LXD700. :thumbsup:

Hibberto

its Marc;1879928

I got mine from play, extended warrantys arent worth the paper they are … I got mine from play, extended warrantys arent worth the paper they are printed on in my opinion, i'd rather do without and put the money i'd have wasted towards a replacement if need be.

well said

ive got the panasonic 26" lmd70 and its really good, does everything i need it to.

i use it as a computer monitor.
the freeview is decent in it
i think it looks lovely, unlike the samsungs which look like cheap plastic, these look smart.
hd is good too, ive had ps3 and xbox 360 set up and both looked amazing.
sound quality out the t.v speakers is decent too.

i say panasonic all the way.

edit: for the panasonic t.v check out the site richer sounds, they had it at a very good price not so long a go
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition62653
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines11
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers33
    4. Chat magazine issue 4323

See more discussions