BBC iPlayer app on Samsung 2014 TV

Posted 16th Dec 2019
Recently the app on my smart tv stopped working, coming up with a message that I need to update my tv software, but it was on the most up to date software So I thought - well that's that then R.I.P.
It would then still let me navigate through the content while in the app as normal, but I couldn't play anything, it would come up with 'Error'.
Anyhoo, I thought I'd have a look in the settings section of the app and thought I'd try turning on the Beta iPlayer setting. And VOILA! It now works again! Wohooo!

My Samsung tv is a H model (2014). Very happy if this post helps anyone else
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

12 Comments
Family member recently had the same issue, not sure if they used the beta setting but I’ll tell them about that! We used the clear cache option, but had to contact Samsung in order to do a full clear, that fixed it but having troubles again. How’s Netflix for you if you use it? My family member has been having a lot of trouble with it not booting or crashing.
hasnain16/12/2019 02:49

Family member recently had the same issue, not sure if they used the beta …Family member recently had the same issue, not sure if they used the beta setting but I’ll tell them about that! We used the clear cache option, but had to contact Samsung in order to do a full clear, that fixed it but having troubles again. How’s Netflix for you if you use it? My family member has been having a lot of trouble with it not booting or crashing.

Don't use Netflix. All the other apps I use work no problem - YouTube, ITV Hub, ALL4, Google Play Video, Rakuten, Chili, Amazon Video, . Thanks for the tip about clearing cache I'll bear that in mind
jco8316/12/2019 03:04

Don't use Netflix. All the other apps I use work no problem - YouTube, ITV …Don't use Netflix. All the other apps I use work no problem - YouTube, ITV Hub, ALL4, Google Play Video, Rakuten, Chili, Amazon Video, . Thanks for the tip about clearing cache I'll bear that in mind

Interesting, it was recently the Netflix that was clogging up, may have to do another cache reset. You can do a partial one via the remote (I’m not exactly sure how to do it on the 2014 models as I haven’t had an issue with mine) but what I used to do is hold the power button on the remote down and the tv normally spits out the message “Samsung” or possibly in settings there may be an option, apart from that it’s phoning Samsung up and having them remote into your tv and clear it (strange I know )
Thanks, great tip to avoid Samdung.
"BBC iPlayer stops working on some Samsung TVs - BBC News" google.com/amp…526
As great as smart TVs looked when they first come out it's always better to use a standalone system like the Amazon Fire Stick etc.

Saves you having to faff with your TV hoping that developers have updated or even developed apps that work properly on it etc.
chocci16/12/2019 05:43

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-audio-video/how-to-access-the-bbc-iplayer-on-a-2014-h-range-series-television/

Thank you! I assumed my model was losing support for iPlayer but turns out it's just a software error then x
Edited by: "jco83" 16th Dec 2019
chimp14uk16/12/2019 05:07

"BBC iPlayer stops working on some Samsung TVs - BBC News" …"BBC iPlayer stops working on some Samsung TVs - BBC News" https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-50747526

Thank you
Do a full factory reset, resolved my audio issue
I read iPlayer would stop working on older models which I thought was shocking, some people keep TVs for 10 years.
My mates Samsung TV from around the same time, 2015 I believe! Doesnt even do YouTube in 1080p, its only 720p
Toon_army16/12/2019 17:00

I read iPlayer would stop working on older models which I thought was …I read iPlayer would stop working on older models which I thought was shocking, some people keep TVs for 10 years.My mates Samsung TV from around the same time, 2015 I believe! Doesnt even do YouTube in 1080p, its only 720p

Yeah it's something that they mention about ensuring iPlayer remains a good experience. Apps can't indefinitely be supported on all ever changing tv models I suppose. Though I don't see why app functionality can't remain unchanged and still working on older devices Parity I suppose
Edited by: "jco83" 16th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants