BBC TV & radio - new free educational & entertainment content during COVID-19 outbreak

Country Manager15
Posted 18th Mar
I just saw this announcement posted on Twitter - BBC is changing its output for the foreseeable future to better cater for social distancing/self-isolating families

Full details below, but some of the extra content you'll get includes

- Prime-time Coronavirus special on Wednesdays on BBC One
- Daily edition of the Coronavirus podcast
- Newsround bulletins on air throughout the day on CBBC
- Delay the planned closure of the Red Button text news and information service
- New iPlayer boxsets including Spooks, The Missing, Waking The Dead, French And Saunders, Wallander and The Honourable Woman, as well as more from BBC Three
- New iPlayer experience for children, offering a wide range of entertaining and educational series. n
- Radio 4 will dig into archive of drama with such well-loved titles as The Complete Smiley, all of the novels by the Bronte Sisters, film noir classics by Raymond Chandler, and reassuring favourites as Rumpole and Wodehouse, as well as classic editions of I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue and Just A Minute
-The same in BBC Sounds, looking at bringing back classic sport, comedy and drama, as well as exploring using the BBC’s programme index to allow audiences to search thousands of online archive radio programmes.

In the event schools get closed:

- A daily educational programme for different key stages or year groups - with a complementary self-learning programme for students to follow, broadcast on BBC Red Button and made available on demand on BBC iPlayer.
- Expanding BBC Bitesize content, with our social media running daily troubleshooting Q&As focusing on a different subject each day.- Creating two new daily educational podcasts for BBC Sounds, one for primary and one for secondary.
- BBC Four and BBC Red Button devoting a block of programming each weekday evening to show programmes that support the GCSE and A Level curriculum. In Scotland, the Scotland channel will support the Scottish NQs and Highers in daytime.

bbc.co.uk/med…ned
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
andrewworrall118/03/2020 12:43

I never watch Question Time - never even seen it, but I have heard of it. …I never watch Question Time - never even seen it, but I have heard of it. Is it just a quiz show?

Yes.
15 Comments
Do you know if the BBC have announced anything about cancelling Saturday Mash-Up! this Saturday seeing as it's a 2 and a half hours live morning show that has an audience (children) and some participate in the games shown as well as there being a large crowd?
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 18th Mar
andrewworrall118/03/2020 12:30

Do you know if the BBC have announced anything about cancelling Saturday …Do you know if the BBC have announced anything about cancelling Saturday Mash-Up! this Saturday seeing as it's a 2 and a half hours live morning show that has an audience (children) and some participate in the games shown as well as there being a large crowd?

Can't see anything at the moment
Dan18/03/2020 12:33

Can't see anything at the moment

Thanks. I'll be surprised if the show carries on without an audience like Saturday Night Takeaway, as Saturday Mash-Up! uses the kids in a few of the games and they all sit together in a crowd, if I'm not mistaken we're supposed to try and avoid crowds right? The Mash-Up! show really wouldn't work without an audience.
Apparently BBC Question Time is going to be shown without an audience. Some may say this will improve it...
Dan18/03/2020 12:41

Apparently BBC Question Time is going to be shown without an audience. …Apparently BBC Question Time is going to be shown without an audience. Some may say this will improve it...

I never watch Question Time - never even seen it, but I have heard of it. Is it just a quiz show?

I never watch Question Time - never even seen it, but I have heard of it. …I never watch Question Time - never even seen it, but I have heard of it. Is it just a quiz show?

Yes.
Predikuesi18/03/2020 12:46

Yes.

Does it use an audience to answer the questions or celebrities etc? If audience how will they do it instead?
andrewworrall118/03/2020 12:48

Does it use an audience to answer the questions or celebrities etc? If …Does it use an audience to answer the questions or celebrities etc? If audience how will they do it instead?

The BEEB will make sure it's fixed with or without an audience.

It's a show where they have politicians and other figures on and the audience ask about current events.
BBC needs defunding, scrap the tv licence
andrewworrall118/03/2020 12:30

Do you know if the BBC have announced anything about cancelling Saturday …Do you know if the BBC have announced anything about cancelling Saturday Mash-Up! this Saturday seeing as it's a 2 and a half hours live morning show that has an audience (children) and some participate in the games shown as well as there being a large crowd?

As of Monday they have taken the decision to stop visits to BBC sites of all visitors and any staff who are not broadcast critical. All Tours have been cancelled, face to face training and events have been postponed or cancelled and all BBC audience based shows will be filmed without an audience or if they rely on audience participation they will see how things can be achieved using remote measures.
As a public service broadcaster they have re-aligned themselves so they are better able to "Inform, Educate and Entertain".
GP121118/03/2020 20:39

As of Monday they have taken the decision to stop visits to BBC sites of …As of Monday they have taken the decision to stop visits to BBC sites of all visitors and any staff who are not broadcast critical. All Tours have been cancelled, face to face training and events have been postponed or cancelled and all BBC audience based shows will be filmed without an audience or if they rely on audience participation they will see how things can be achieved using remote measures.As a public service broadcaster they have re-aligned themselves so they are better able to "Inform, Educate and Entertain".

Thanks. That guarantees Saturday Mash-Up! to have no audience or be cancelled then seeing as it's live. Already recorded episodes of shows using an audience will still air I'm guessing?
Thank you for this info regarding BBC education programmes
Dan18/03/2020 12:41

Apparently BBC Question Time is going to be shown without an audience. …Apparently BBC Question Time is going to be shown without an audience. Some may say this will improve it...

Some say Hotukdeals would be a lot better without Dan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants