Groups

BBC New lost sitcoms : Steptoe & Son

Just watching this classic is making me cringe

Pathetic acting, script and actors they surely have totally ruined a masterpiece

Its the 4th out of 4 remakes

Were the others as bad?

29 Comments

Dunno not seen any of it
    tbh didn't see what the fuss was about with the original
    bit before my time even X)

CLOSE THE BBC DOWN, reform as subscription (you know like sky do) then you wont be paying for this tripe or any seedy little rings they like to run in their £1,000,000,000 not fit for purpose HQ.

Will catch it on YouTube tomorrow. I already know it's gonna be garbage.

Luckily don't pay for it in this house anyway

Just when you thought the crappy bbc couldnt get any worse its managed to do it again. £3 Billion pounds ayear they take off us and we get this dross.
    Its time to make it a subscription only service and people can then choose to pay to watch this rubbish........or not.

Didn't watch all of them but the exercise was entirely pointless. Gives ammunition to those who would rather do away with the BBC but it's still one of our greatest engines for promoting British culture both at home and abroad.

Obviously appealing to some people on the basis of giving a damn about culture isn't going to make them feel better about having to part with £2.80 a week but hey ho.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Didn't watch all of them but the exercise was entirely pointless. Gives … Didn't watch all of them but the exercise was entirely pointless. Gives ammunition to those who would rather do away with the BBC but it's still one of our greatest engines for promoting British culture both at home and abroad.Obviously appealing to some people on the basis of giving a damn about culture isn't going to make them feel better about having to part with £2.80 a week but hey ho.

Can you give a few examples of this 'British culture' that is being so successfully promoted by the BBC?

Graham1979

CLOSE THE BBC DOWN, reform as subscription (you know like sky do) then … CLOSE THE BBC DOWN, reform as subscription (you know like sky do) then you wont be paying for this tripe or any seedy little rings they like to run in their £1,000,000,000 not fit for purpose HQ.

It wouldn't be a proper thread about the BBC without "our Graham"

Saw "Are you being served" it as spoiled by the dampening down and the added

But even worse was "Till Death Us Do" - they needed the fake laughter just to raise awareness it was meant to be a comedy

With todays PC brigade and no ability to make fun of any other race/religion then nobody can remake any of the old shows properly.

This is what happens if you don't NEED a TV licence

en-gb.facebook.com/act…51/

"Every goon vid we see now has them repeating the address etc, this must be an instruction from the TVL bosses. Standard TVL procedure. They assume that if your address is on the video you won't post it on social media" WRONG!
    Edited by: "Graham1979" 15th Sep 2016

Fred Smith

Can you give a few examples of this 'British culture' that is being so … Can you give a few examples of this 'British culture' that is being so successfully promoted by the BBC?

Maybe he/she means Eastenders.

philphil61

It wouldn't be a proper thread about the BBC without "our Graham"

It's just a nasty, nasty corrupt, old boys club organisation that was outdated 30 years ago, not it's obscure and not at all relevant in the slightest. I can go on their website and read the news in 50 languages, learn about GCSE's/A Levels and a host of TRIPE that has nothing to do with broadcasting and all about having the people pay for it through persecution, threats and intimidation.

Graham1979

It's just a nasty, nasty corrupt, old boys club organisation that was … It's just a nasty, nasty corrupt, old boys club organisation that was outdated 30 years ago, not it's obscure and not at all relevant in the slightest. I can go on their website and read the news in 50 languages, learn about GCSE's/A Levels and a host of TRIPE that has nothing to do with broadcasting and all about having the people pay for it through persecution, threats and intimidation.

You've probably seen some of my posts but you've probably not linked everything together (example the likes I give, the replies I give etc)

In simple words

https://randyraisch.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/rhcp.jpg

Jeeeez when I searched Google images for the phrase "I'm with you" I thought Google had been hacked

qbs

Maybe he/she means Eastenders.

Not really. I was referring more to the 50+ years of quality drama, comedy, news and factual programming that the BBC has produced. I know that entertainment isn't something that people think about as an industry, but it is and we lead the world in it when you consider the size of our country. The BBC has been a huge part of promoting talent in this country and putting it on the world stage.
    Graham1979

It's just a nasty, nasty corrupt, old boys club organisation that was … It's just a nasty, nasty corrupt, old boys club organisation that was outdated 30 years ago, not it's obscure and not at all relevant in the slightest. I can go on their website and read the news in 50 languages, learn about GCSE's/A Levels and a host of TRIPE that has nothing to do with broadcasting and all about having the people pay for it through persecution, threats and intimidation.

Some people may see a benefit in things like education that the BBC provides. I know some feel that things like Glastonbury shouldn't be covered by the BBC but it promotes live music which is huge for this country's economy. The Proms is probably something the vast majority of the British public don't care about but it's something I think is uniquely British that the BBC is right to cover.

You would be amazed at how popular the BBC is overseas. A lot of the programming that BBC produce is sold overseas too and for good reason; it is seen as high quality. Yes, they may not be perfect but they are one of the best.

It will be a sad day when it becomes a cheap ratings chaser like the other commercial broadcasters.

Back on topic, I quite liked the Porridge remake. Obviously not a patch on the original but then again Barker was quite unique. Didn't like the 'Keeping up Appearances' prequel nor the Are You Being Served? remake but then again I was never a fan of the originals either. Will get round to watching S&S at some point. I think it's the comparison that kills them. Their original stuff has been pretty good.
    Edited by: "rufnek2kx" 15th Sep 2016

Keep hammering those nails in. The BBC will be buried soon.

rufnek2kx

You would be amazed at how popular the BBC is overseas. A lot of the … You would be amazed at how popular the BBC is overseas. A lot of the programming that BBC produce is sold overseas too and for good reason; it is seen as high quality. Yes, they may not be perfect but they are one of the best.It will be a sad day when it becomes a cheap ratings chaser like the other commercial broadcasters.

Absolutely agree. I think maybe we take it for granted but throughout the world, the BBC is seen as a quality brand.

I would love for it to produce more quality drama, but I'm also under no illusions that commercial channels have a better track record. In fact I'd say that most of the dramas that I personally enjoy at the moment are made by premium channels in the States. With the BBC we have a unique institution that promotes British culture and has also given a phenomenal amount of talent their first step in the industry.

Obviously not everyone values that.

All those going on about "promoting British culture"
    British culture? Whats British culture in today's society? Benefits, teenage pregnancy, forced tolerance.
    Considering the amount of people that are trying to get into the UK because of the British culture, perhaps we should stop promoting it.

stuarthanley

All those going on about "promoting British culture" British culture? … All those going on about "promoting British culture" British culture? Whats British culture in today's society? Benefits, teenage pregnancy, forced tolerance. Considering the amount of people that are trying to get into the UK because of the British culture, perhaps we should stop promoting it.

If that's what you think British culture is then I almost feel sorry for you.

We have a remarkable amount of arts and culture in this country. We have a world-leading music scene, we have some of the finest museums in the world, we have a TV industry that leads the world comparable to it's size and provides a huge amount of talent both behind and in front of the camera. We have an exciting literary position that is the envy of the world. We have a rich tradition of being a place for people not just to learn a craft, but to perfect one.

You can point to innumerable examples of the BBC helping to create and promote each of these artefacts of British culture so I'm at a loss as to why you think British culture is just the seemlier aspects of life?

Why do people who on the one hand talk up Britain seem to have trouble understanding just what makes Britain so great in the first place?

When I think of Britain, I think of amazing festivals that bring people of all kinds together, or Twickenham on a misty November afternoon, or museums filled to the brim with people marvelling at centuries of British drive and ambition. That's the Britain I live in. Where do you live?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

If that's what you think British culture is then I almost feel sorry for … If that's what you think British culture is then I almost feel sorry for you.We have a remarkable amount of arts and culture in this country. We have a world-leading music scene, we have some of the finest museums in the world, we have a TV industry that leads the world comparable to it's size and provides a huge amount of talent both behind and in front of the camera. We have an exciting literary position that is the envy of the world. We have a rich tradition of being a place for people not just to learn a craft, but to perfect one.You can point to innumerable examples of the BBC helping to create and promote each of these artefacts of British culture so I'm at a loss as to why you think British culture is just the seemlier aspects of life?Why do people who on the one hand talk up Britain seem to have trouble understanding just what makes Britain so great in the first place?When I think of Britain, I think of amazing festivals that bring people of all kinds together, or Twickenham on a misty November afternoon, or museums filled to the brim with people marvelling at centuries of British drive and ambition. That's the Britain I live in. Where do you live?

You're confusing history and culture.
    I'm asking about British culture in 2016.

stuarthanley

You're confusing history and culture. I'm asking about British culture in … You're confusing history and culture. I'm asking about British culture in 2016.

Actually most of what I'm referring to there is contemporary British culture. I think the fact that you ignore that, or are simply unaware of it, is why you have such a negative view of this country.

Personally speaking I find it nigh-on impossible not to find new, exciting things emerging from Britain on a daily basis but that's because I'm always on the look-out for new things, new voices.

I can only advise that you open yourself and your family's eyes to that. This country has so much to offer - why focus on just the negative?

I recorded the series and watched 'Til Death us do Part at the weekend. Really really disappointed after looking forward to watching it. Poor writing, poor acting. I won't be wasting time on the others in the series.

These remakes as well as Mrs Browns Boys, Citizen Khan, (new) Open All Hours, are an embarrassment on the history of BBC..

Once the best of the best, now sadly we have some Irish drag act swearing blue to make the british sheeple spit their tea out.. I do not mind the BBC, but i will say it again, It needs to be optional... the public needs to vote on this.
    Edited by: "haritori" 15th Sep 2016

haritori

These remakes as well as Mrs Browns Boys, Citizen Khan, (new) Open All … These remakes as well as Mrs Browns Boys, Citizen Khan, (new) Open All Hours, are an embarrassment on the history of BBC..Once the best of the best, now sadly we have some Irish drag act swearing blue to make the british sheeple spit their tea out.. I do not mind the BBC, but i will say it again, It needs to be optional... the public needs to vote on this.

Let's not pretend that this is the entirety of the BBC's comedy output. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but the BBC is still one of the finest engines for developing British comedic talent and making it optional is simply a way to reduce the number of voices that are given a platform in this country.

Plus voting on taxes is something of a slippery slope isn't it?

Fred Smith

Can you give a few examples of this 'British culture' that is being so … Can you give a few examples of this 'British culture' that is being so successfully promoted by the BBC?

The Benny Hill Show,monty python, TOTP..

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Let's not pretend that this is the entirety of the BBC's comedy output. … Let's not pretend that this is the entirety of the BBC's comedy output. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but the BBC is still one of the finest engines for developing British comedic talent and making it optional is simply a way to reduce the number of voices that are given a platform in this country.Plus voting on taxes is something of a slippery slope isn't it?

the rule has been,no tax no representation

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Could it be improved? Absolutely,

They've already done that one
    bbc.co.uk/pro…3wg

a second series has been commissioned though.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Let's not pretend that this is the entirety of the BBC's comedy output. … Let's not pretend that this is the entirety of the BBC's comedy output. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but the BBC is still one of the finest engines for developing British comedic talent and making it optional is simply a way to reduce the number of voices that are given a platform in this country.Plus voting on taxes is something of a slippery slope isn't it?

Yes but the main outlet of new and exciting (funny) comedy was BBC3 and what did the BBC do with that? they are out of touch.

haritori

Yes but the main outlet of new and exciting (funny) comedy was BBC3 and … Yes but the main outlet of new and exciting (funny) comedy was BBC3 and what did the BBC do with that? they are out of touch.

I sorta agree, except BBC Three still exists. It's just online only.

haritori

Yes but the main outlet of new and exciting (funny) comedy was BBC3 and … Yes but the main outlet of new and exciting (funny) comedy was BBC3 and what did the BBC do with that? they are out of touch.

I would argue that BBC2's comedy output before BBC3 existed was far superior to the output of both channels combined since.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      4. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22

See more discussions