BBC unveils next-gen iPlayer

8 replies
Found 1st Jul 2008
The BBC has taken the wraps off the second version of its hugely popular iPlayer, integrating radio with on-demand TV. The new version is still in beta and will run alongside the original while the finishing touches are added over the next few weeks. "The next-generation BBC iPlayer allows UK licence fee payers to catch up on their favourite BBC TV and radio programmes in one place, a completely unique on-demand service," said Erik Huggers, group controller for future media and technology at the BBC.

"Audiences are now able to experience the full range of BBC content - some 250 TV programmes available each week as well as all the BBC radio networks - in a new and more accessible way, and all for free." The iPlayer has been a huge success, garnering a reported 100 million downloads in the six months since its launch.

neowin.net/new…yer

7 Comments

Haha. 100 million downloads?? When it's only available to the UK?? Which is 60 million people?? Many of whom don't use iPlayer??

Useless statistic. :giggle:

Clicky for the iplayer ]http//ww…ta/

I like it! :thumbsup:

duckmagicuk2;2433606

Haha. 100 million downloads?? When it's only available to the UK?? Which … Haha. 100 million downloads?? When it's only available to the UK?? Which is 60 million people?? Many of whom don't use iPlayer??Useless statistic. :giggle:

I think that shows it is quite popular.
I account for at least 10 of those downloads.
:-D

I think the old iplayer is better, far less cluttered but maybe they will refine the beta.

I like how it has a list of your last viewed shows and remembers your place in them so you can go back if you have to.

Banned

duckmagicuk2;2433606

Haha. 100 million downloads?? When it's only available to the UK?? Which … Haha. 100 million downloads?? When it's only available to the UK?? Which is 60 million people?? Many of whom don't use iPlayer??Useless statistic. :giggle:

But it is available outside the UK (quite easily) - and I doubt it means the software - but the program content!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    2. Christmas presents510
    3. Mobile phone advice33
    4. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?55

See more discussions